2017 Rvf1000 V4

windyrun

• Member Contributer

Hmmmm... Too many times have I seen similar articles and nothing happened.

Agreed. It's hard to get excited about yet another 'RC45 heir on the way' article. It should already be in showrooms, and on the racetrack.

Then again, who saw the RC213V-S coming?

Come on Honda, get your mojo back...

I've been seeing articles like this for each of the past ten years. Anyone remember the "spy photos" of the V5 VFR back in 2004? Or other stories about a 5 cylinder or V4 Fireblade?

Speculating that there will be a substantial Fireblade refresh in 2017 isn't exactly rocket surgery.

• Member Contributer

I've been seeing articles like this for each of the past ten years. Anyone remember the "spy photos" of the V5 VFR back in 2004? Or other stories about a 5 cylinder or V4 Fireblade?

Speculating that there will be a substantial Fireblade refresh in 2017 isn't exactly rocket surgery.

They built that V5. It was doing laps on Honda's test track. Some dimwit bean counter nicked it. Still pisses me off to this day. We would have been in line like Black Friday for one, so many of us.

Someone who attends Laguna next year will have to ask Nicky what he's heard. I highly doubt he signed back up with them without a substantial bike being in the pipe.

• Member Contributer

That's just MCN reworking an article, which was slightly better, that they published in October this year ...... rumours, rumours

Looks like they'll be last on the market and wonder why it doesn't sell

• Member Contributer

Do we really want a bike that sits between the RC213V-S and the Fireblade? Surely an in-depth update or new model 'blade would cover that?

IIRC folk are always drumming on about a ~120bhp VFR light-ish ST bike. That would sit between the current 800 and 1200 VFR.

Fireblade is tricky one to beat. I read that in 2014 one third of all sales of sports bikes over 1000 cc were Honda Fireblades, and at the end of the day it is about sales.

On the Gen 8 forum here I have seen quite a few comments about pricing of the Gen 8, and it does boil down to cost - and not relative cost like arguing between a Ferrari and Porsche when you cannot afford either.

So I can imagine anything new will be about cost, otherwise it will not sell. I notice that the Yamaha MT range have been huge sellers, probably a lot to do with what you get for their bargain price. Yamaha sold more MT range of bikes than BMW sold bikes in total, and Yamaha's new R1 is not particularly expensive either.

So while we bitch about wanting the trickest latest high tech, it is most definitely with both eyes on the price tag.

Couldn't find a better place since 8th gen is most recent and this article seems to address what I've read many 8th gen owners would like to see-liter v4 engine with updates.

But a Fireblade and a VFR are not the same. I personally don't want a 1000cc V4 in a Fireblade (that would be cool). I want it in the VFR ergos with hard luggage available, and a proper pillion. A sport touring package, not a supersport. You can buy an Aprilia if you want a supersport. So, I wouldn't call the fireblade with a V4 the 9th gen. It is a different bike. But it would be good because maybe, just maybe the 9th gen would be the 1000cc version we all want. Then there would be a supersport version, and a sport touring version, and Honda will have finally nailed it.

not to sound like i'm coming to your "8th Gen" home and nitpicking on it,

but to be honest, a true VFR successor that's 15 years newer than my 5th gen and worth $10k more should have been more than just new suspension and brakes, i was hoping it was going to be under 500lbs wet, or maybe boasting 120hp or something that makes 5th and 6th gen VFR owners lusting for, not just a new look with same weight and power... :wacko:

an interesting addition for Honda would be a V4 naked bike based on either the 800 or the 1200, but hopefully something thats actually competitive, not something thats 20-30lbs heavier and less power than competitors

• Member Contributer

not to sound like i'm coming to your "8th Gen" home and nitpicking on it,

But, you'll do it anyway... ;-)

If it ain't broke, I always say. So if my 4th gen wasn't murdered I might still be riding it. That being said...

Roughly close weight, same peak power as the 15-20 year old models but substantially fatter midrange on the new bike, which suits me just fine since I'm not racing for pink slips, sponsorships, trophies or priority bar seating. Still more than enough power to dust the über-morons in their Ultimate Driving Machines. Markedly better gas mileage too. Electrics are vastly improved throughout and thanks in part to the LED headlights, offer more headroom for heated gear, etc. Mirrors are also an improvement. Brakes are terrific and the ABS works well. I like the little things, like 4-way flashers and the flash-to-pass button.

My only real complaint is that the traction control is utter crap, and after 7,000 miles I'm still unaccustomed to the new left-side switchgear configuration. Smaller items include the longer reach to the bars and a relatively hard seat.

Sounds like you're pining for a new, juiced-up version of the Superhawk.

Or buy a BMW S1000RR, paint it red (and play gear whine sounds in your helmet's headset).

But, you'll do it anyway... ;-)

If it ain't broke, I always say. So if my 4th gen wasn't murdered I might still be riding it. That being said...

Roughly close weight, same peak power as the 15-20 year old models but substantially fatter midrange on the new bike, which suits me just fine since I'm not racing for pink slips, sponsorships, trophies or priority bar seating. Still more than enough power to dust the über-morons in their Ultimate Driving Machines. Markedly better gas mileage too. Electrics are vastly improved throughout and thanks in part to the LED headlights, offer more headroom for heated gear, etc. Mirrors are also an improvement. Brakes are terrific and the ABS works well. I like the little things, like 4-way flashers and the flash-to-pass button.

My only real complaint is that the traction control is utter crap, and after 7,000 miles I'm still unaccustomed to the new left-side switchgear configuration. Smaller items include the longer reach to the bars and a relatively hard seat.

Sounds like you're pining for a new, juiced-up version of the Superhawk.

Or buy a BMW S1000RR, paint it red (and play gear whine sounds in your helmet's headset).

Didn't mean to sound like i'm criticizing the 8th Gen VFR800, To me, the VFR has always been in a category of its own, on paper, its got far less power than a 750-800cc bikes, its heavier and maybe less technologically advance, but it will do so many things other bikes can't do, and thats why i like mine.

Mind you, as a 5th gen owner, if i had the cash to buy an 8th gen (and my local dealer have one marked down for good price), i'd buy it. i have actually test rode it last year and i liked it, mainly like the dash layout, brakes and how narrow it feels compared to my 5th gen. not sure i noticed the "fatter midrange", test ride was kinda slow behind traffic.

i like how the VFR have a really wide useable rpm range, can ride it anywhere from 3,000-10,000rpm but below 6,000rpm it just doesnt have that instant pickup of a V-twin's beefy midrange, which i would really like to have on the VFR tbh.

oh, and i can't afford an S1000RR, i don't even have a helmet's headset :laughing6-hehe:

• Member Contributer

The "on paper" thing is the key.

On paper a lot of bikes are crap unless you have the wherewithal to do some serious detail spelunking.

I tend to live in the low RPMs so I've really noticed the midrange. One thing I've definitely noticed though, is that the low-end is definitely dependent on fuel quality. The difference is tangible and repeatable.

My personal source of comparison for seat of the pants power was a 4th gen, but I'll add that with some minor carb tweaks from the stock settings, the 4th gen's midrange can be fattened up substantially (comparable to the 8th gen, possibly) and my trusty backyard mechanic pulled it off without screwing up my ever-precious gasoline mileage.

My UDM reference was about an experience the other day, when I sort of forgot I had a 5th gear (I know, I know) while toying with this prick. As I'm bouncing against the rev limiter (or as my valves were floating, I don't know), I power-shifted up one and was caught delightfully off-guard by how hard it pulled. Before I know it I'm cresting a hill at a buck-thirty and Mr. Prick's kraut roundel is nowhere to be seen.

On the other hand I know I'm not gonna keep up with a CBR600 weaving through NYC traffic. Or a Vespa. :cool:

Plenty of more powerful bikes out there of course. Plenty of pretty much everything in various permutations of desirable features, if you're flexible.

The BMW is fairly affordable. Until you need service, at least. You want an affordable V-twin sport mount with "grunt", picketh thee up a used Buell. All the stump-pulling power of a Hardley without having to wear chaps and a useless skid-lid with idiotic stickers.

Oh, and paint it red of course. :beer:

• Member Contributer

Fireblade is tricky one to beat. I read that in 2014 one third of all sales of sports bikes over 1000 cc were Honda Fireblades, and at the end of the day it is about sales.

Umm, no. Not a chance in hell. BMW S1000RR's and now R1's have been 'the' bikes getting all the sales. Kawasaki as well. The Fireblade is the oldest bike in th class without substantial updates. Even Suzuki has a new GSXR1000 coming.

I'm sure it depends on what market you're in. I travel a fair bit every year.

In Japan, for instance, I see very few liter bikes, but the ones I do see are mostly Fireblades and Gixxers.

In Switzerland as well.

In France, mostly 600’s, not many liter bikes.

In Denmark, Suzuki and Honda.

Netherlands, some S1000RR'S

Spain, a bit of everything.

Here in the USA, lots of Gixxers. Mostly inhabited by squiddies.

• Member Contributer

To be fair, when abroad you have to consider the bikes you see in terms of the graduated licensing requirements, insurance costs and import duties in those countries, as applicable.

And don't judge the entire USA by what you see in one or two states. This is a big country with tons of diversity from state to state and city to city and even town to town. Someone in Wisconsin would just as easily believe that this country has "lots of Harleys. Mostly inhabited by a-holes with open pipes." Just in my borough in New York City I can identify motorcycle trends (old rat bikes and restored vintage, sportbikes, HDs/cruisers, adventure bikes, outright dirtbikes, et.) neighborhood by neighborhood.

• 1 month later...

My information is that there will be an updated FireBlade (road not race focussed and FireBlade means in-line 4) AND a race focussed V4, i.e. something to race successfully in WSB. This has to be a LOT cheaper than the RCV as it needs to sell in sufficient numbers to homologate for the major race series. It is easier and cheaper to build an in-line 4, but ultimately, they believe a V4 makes a better race bike and can be afforded the additional cost. But neither is a VFR, just like the RC45 wasn't.

Currently they offer an 800 and a 1200 VFR, do they really need a 1000? Not in my opinion since the current ones are both great bikes even if the 1200 is a bit quirky looking. I personally think they should make a decent naked bike out of each as that's what I want these days. But they don't so I made my own naked 1200 (see eVo4 thread in 7th gen forum) and am about to embark on an 800 conversion, just for the hell of it. I've no idea why Honda are so reluctant to offer their own since for many of their other models they offer a sports version (with fairing), adventure style and naked, but the VFRs are only offered as the first 2. No real idea why as it's not just me who wants a naked bike. Look at all the conversions on here and also ride through Europe and see the trend away from sports bikes to naked bikes. So I think there'd be a decent market for naked VFRs.

As for any new RVF. Hmmm. My VFR1200->eVo4 project was fraught with problems due to the electronics, most of which I don't want and any new RVF and/or FireBlade will likely have lots, so converting becomes a real nightmare. Right now I'm looking forward to the relative simplicity of my '99 VFR800 and how much easier it will be to modify. No concerns about ABS and traction control signals from Wheel Speed Sensors, nor exhausts with catalysts and lambda sensors. Oh what joy :biggrin:

Electronics - like them or loathe them, they make bikes less and less adaptable and able to modified and reworked as so many of us love to do and what to me is the essence of what biking is all about. But the powers that be (and the manufacturers) seem heel bent on strangling that adventurous spirit and individualism and want us all to just ride what we buy and don't touch anything. They don't even want us to service our bikes anymore. So these new race replicas (even a FireBlade) will not represent what I now want from motorcycling. I just hope I don't get tempted.

• Member Contributer

As much as I love my 8th generation vfr it does have some shortcomings that will hopefully be addressed with an all new Rvf1000 cc version. Everybody knows Honda could have made a fire breathing 8th gen vfr without even breaking a sweat but did a half hearted effort for the comeback in 2014, its a great bike but could have been so much better. If Honda creates a high performance version with comfy ergos and 1000cc I will be first in line at my local dealer with $$$ Stop making the silly moto gp replica with 100 hp for nearly 200k and make a high performance interceptor for the masses!!!

• Member Contributer

As much as I love my 8th generation vfr it does have some shortcomings that will hopefully be addressed with an all new Rvf1000 cc version. Everybody knows Honda could have made a fire breathing 8th gen vfr without even breaking a sweat but did a half hearted effort for the comeback in 2014, its a great bike but could have been so much better. If Honda creates a high performance version with comfy ergos and 1000cc I will be first in line at my local dealer with $$$ Stop making the silly moto gp replica with 100 hp for nearly 200k and make a high performance interceptor for the masses!!!

There will not be a 1000cc VFR (or RVF) with comfortable ergos.

There will be a 1000cc V4 with a sub $40,000 Euro price to meet WSBK homologation rules.

It will be the successor to the RC45/RC30 lineage and more exclusive than the RC51 as a track based weapon bent on world domination, not for sporty-touring.

So I will gladly take your place in line for the silly WSBK replica deposit. :wheel:

Archived