Skids

Big H Issued A Recall On Vfr1200F And Vfr1200X Re:drive-Shafts

Recall done, no real issues, seems a little less "clunky" sounding Anyone else notice anything different with the bike?

I just bought mine 4 weeks ago with the recall already performed, and I haven't noticed anything of note whatsoever from the driveshaft in my 1000+kms. And while I dont have experience with the 1200 prior to the recall, I have many miles on my ST1300 shaft drive with which to compare problems/irregularities 

Hi all,

I'm new on the forum and i just saw this topic.

I was looking under the seat and saw a small red dot on the right side. I just wanna confirm that this means the problem was solved.

Thank you

Well here we are in late '18 and I'm buying one of these bikes, VIN showing up as "open recall" and in the effected SN range.   

Is Honda still issuing these parts?  I do have a good relationship with my Dealer and would expect they'll be helpful.   

4 hours ago, UpArrrow said:

Well here we are in late '18 and I'm buying one of these bikes, VIN showing up as "open recall" and in the effected SN range.   

Is Honda still issuing these parts?  I do have a good relationship with my Dealer and would expect they'll be helpful.   

I guess you'll need to check with your local dealer to confirm. Best of luck.

The Vfr 1200 F is discontinued since 2016.

There is no newer model year so it should be a leftover unit. There's no big deal applying the recall prior or after the delivery even if the bike has the "old" part on it. It's not gonna fail instantly. Just enjoy the bike!

1 hour ago, vfr1200f said:

The Vfr 1200 F is discontinued since 2016.

There is no newer model year so it should be a leftover unit. There's no big deal applying the recall prior or after the delivery even if the bike has the "old" part on it. It's not gonna fail instantly...

Well I don't want to be a scaremonger, but "instantly" is exactly how it can fail and why Honda went to the trouble of the recall. 

Initially the Universal Joint is simply stiff due to the assembly process leaving the bearings too tight. So what you might then think is that it will simply wear out faster, but what Honda are concerned about is that the UJ will crack and break apart and that means instant and possibly catastrophic failure. They had I believe experienced 2 total failures like this prior to issuing the recall, although no injuries have been caused (to the best of my knowledge).

Part of the process was to have each bike checked immediately to detect any imminent failures and if new parts were not immediately available, they would have to remain off-road until the part (shaft assembly) could be replaced. In fact I seem to recall in these cases a new 'old' type part (checked before fitment to ensure it was not too tight) would be installed to keep the bike going until the 'new' part was available and could be installed. Expensive for Honda, but when it comes to safety, they don't mess about.

The above is not simply heresay. I have seen a drive shaft (my own, although not on my actual bike) where the UJ bearing mounts/retainers are badly cracked and likely to fail imminently if used. This was taken from a bike dismantled for entirely other reasons, not related to the shaft. I bought the back end and when the recall was announced some time later I had a look at my spare shaft and was horrified how bad it was. My actual bike was not that bad and the UJ simply stiff and 'notchy'.

If I still had the 'old' part on the bike and there were no untoward symptoms, would I have continued to use the bike? Possibly, for a short while until the replacement part was available. But that would be my decision and in no way a recommendation for others to employ the same course of action. This is a potentially very serious problem and should be taken seriously. I don't think it is possible for Honda to deny supplying 'New' parts to any bike not yet fixed. That's part of what an official recall means. It is a legal as well as technical process. So there should be no issue getting parts.

The replacement is a bit fiddly, but not hard and then you have a brand new drive shaft that should last the life of the bike.

I did call my local Dealer and fed them the VIN and they confirmed the bike is eligible for the recall.   Here she is BTW.  Will be here in about 3 weeks.

47222585_536303116781792_8819435177324314624_n.jpg

47294023_308798026631065_2504972467743752192_n.jpg

47681785_413167612759633_5734927099995619328_n.jpg

• Like 1

Although I didn’t have any symptoms with my driveshaft, I had it done as soon as the replacements were available and have had continuous good rides.  Happy trails.

On 12/5/2018 at 10:40 PM, BiKenG said:

Well I don't want to be a scaremonger, but "instantly" is exactly how it can fail...

In fact I seem to recall in these cases a new 'old' type part (checked before fitment to ensure it was not too tight) would be installed to keep the bike going until the 'new' part was available and could be installed.

He already HAS that new "old" part on the bike. The bike may be used as I immagine the dealer does a delivery pre-check anyway and the inspection of the drive shaft would be one the checkpoints for them considering the issued recall... in a perfect world...

8 hours ago, UpArrrow said:

I did call my local Dealer and fed them the VIN and they confirmed the bike is eligible for the recall.   Here she is BTW.  Will be here in about 3 weeks.

47222585_536303116781792_8819435177324314624_n.jpg

47294023_308798026631065_2504972467743752192_n.jpg

47681785_413167612759633_5734927099995619328_n.jpg

Great looking bike... looks like new 😛 ... i'm just teasing ya'.

Also, i noticed it's a DCT.

Enjoy!

1 hour ago, vfr1200f said:

He already HAS that new "old" part on the bike....

Really, I must have missed that. In fact, I still cannot find any mention by the OP of that having been done.

8 hours ago, BiKenG said:

Really, I must have missed that. In fact, I still cannot find any mention by the OP of that having been done.

If it wasn't mentioned, I apologise. The work was completed a long time ago.

10 hours ago, vfr1200f said:

Great looking bike... looks like new 😛 ... i'm just teasing ya'.

Also, i noticed it's a DCT.

Enjoy!

My 18 Wing has DCT, I only ride it in manual mode and enjoy it in sport mode.  I plan to do the same with this one.    I'm short & round-ish with knee flexibility issues at 55 years old.  With marginal reach to the ground,  I figured not having to work the clutch pedal at start & stop would probably save me an embarrassing drop several times over.  And once one is accustomed to manually flicking the fore/aft triggers the DCT is quite enjoyable to use.