Big H Issued A Recall On Vfr1200F And Vfr1200X Re:drive-Shafts

Skids

• Member Contributer

I am glad that Honda have finally come clean on this issue.

Every VFR1200 I have ridden with the exception of the press release bikes have had a low frequency harmonic thrum emanating from the drive line.

I incorrectly assumed this was a design defect related to the new shaft/pinion interface that eliminates suspension jacking inherent in traditional shaft drive bikes.

I am actually excited that Honda have already developed a counter-measure as I really would like to replace my ST1300 with a VFR1200 and this was the single concern holding me back.

• Member Contributer

Every VFR1200 I have ridden with the exception of the press release bikes have had a low frequency harmonic thrum emanating from the drive line.

I'm going to looking out for that every time I ride now. Git. :wink:

Seriously, never noticed anything like that in my meagre 3500 miles.

• Member Contributer

I'm going to looking out for that every time I ride now. Git. :wink:

Seriously, never noticed anything like that in my meagre 3500 miles.

The last one I put any miles on was a 2012 model rented in Munich for the San Marino GP in 2014. I was hoping the once-in-a-lifetime fly away GP experience and the roads I had been planning to ride since I discovered google maps would sway me to make a purchase of a left over 2012 model when I returned home but it only made me more nervous.

You have to find that spot between cruise rpms and just slightly off throttle (and you may need more than 3500 miles for the assembly lube to show its' weakness) but I could identify the bike if I were a blindfolded pillion in that throttle position.

Went down to the dealer Saturday and ordered the part, they called today and said it was in so I'm going to drop the bike off tomorrow and have them repair it durning the week. I think I got lucky, only 5 day wait for the part. I'm going to try and take a picture of the kit for you guys if the service department lets me.

I should have kept the failed shaft drive but tossed in the trash last year. I hope the dealer let's me into the work area and see if I can see if their is any difference in the new unit.

post-20375-0-02802100-1453536660.jpg

post-20375-0-51633300-1453536685.jpg

Edited by Dae

• Member Contributer

There claiming it's just a assembly problem so should be no difference but yeah it would have been interesting to see if there was any changes.

That's not what the recall notice stated.

The recall notice stated that there would be checks performed on all VFR1200's and if the shaft needed to be replaced and the dealer did not have the newly designed they would utilize current inventory of replacement parts in the interim and then change the shaft again when the item with the counter-measures was available.

• Member Contributer

I checked with the Honda UK website today and my bike is recalled. I've not received anything in the post but then I'm away so it may have arrived and Mrs Skids not told me.

May have to arrange for my bestest best buddy ever, good old Royston Rocket 2 to take it in for me. He's such a good bloke you know; tall, handsome, selfless, always there for his mates, nothing too much trouble to help a m8 out - you know the type, one in a million! :491::goofy:

I checked with the Honda UK website today and my bike is recalled. I've not received anything in the post but then I'm away so it may have arrived and Mrs Skids not told me.

May have to arrange for my bestest best buddy ever, good old Royston Rocket 2 to take it in for me. He's such a good bloke you know; tall, handsome, selfless, always there for his mates, nothing too much trouble to help a m8 out - you know the type, one in a million! :491::goofy:

Who is this? ;-)

You have mail.

• Member Contributer

Actually m8, they're just offered to collect it.

No mention of a charge yet, so better wait and see.

Went into my local uk Honda dealer. Said they were only at phase 1 of the recall. Remove, inspect and replace if faulty with the same spec driveshaft. The modified driveshaft is still not available. Phase 2 will happen when the parts are available and all driveshafts will be replaced. Check mine and it has play in the U/J. Not using the bike till the weather has improved and don't want to get the driveshaft replaced just to do it all again in a couple of months. Not unless it takes too long for the parts to be avalable.

I've been dealing with Honda America trying to get compensation for my VFR since it's been in the shop for over 2 weeks. My dealership said that after they do the inspection, they weren't going to waste time and reinstall everything so i could ride it home and wait for the parts. I told Honda America this, and since the letter hasn't been sent regarding the recall, i can't get reimbursement...what? Lol, but the guy handling my claim at Big Red said they expidited everything and i should be done this coming week. Not too pleased with how they're handling this

Sent from my SM-N910P using Tapatalk

Edited by Artfulkatana

Hi guys!

Phase 1 can retain the motorcycle in the dealer. We know that. With me, about two hours to disassemble, check, replace the rings and assemble. Everything is OK with the driveshafts. I paid the oil, unfortunately. But I am satisfied. Machine in hand is the best thing of the world .

Well, it's February 1 in another day...still not a peep from the local dealer since I contacted them a month ago. I'm am on the wait list for the fancy new driveline parts.

This is a ridiculously long time to 'ground' the bike voluntarily. The thought of the rear locking up at any speed is disconcerting.

I have 'cheated' a bit... and rode it a couple of times around the block to keep the battery up.

I live in a area (not by accident!) that allows year-round riding, Monterey CA area. It was almost 70 deg F a couple of days ago.

Rather than take out my favorite bike, I had to ride a lesser motorcycle in my stable.

That just has to be OK for me to accept, but what about someone that only has one motorcycle?

NO offer to pick up or deliver the bike from my stealership.... it's up to me to do that, and that's damn inconvenient.

Requires me to have my wife follow me on the limping bike in her car to the dealer.

They fix it hopefully, and then 'repeat the process' in reverse with one pissed off wife... certainly not 'Lexus' customer treatment, although the VFR1200 is certainly priced like one!

BLIGHT

Edited by BLIGHT

The way I look at it is this: I've put 15k miles on my bike with this being a problem. I've toured across the country and even did a track day on the bike. The notice about the recall doesn't make the failure more likely to happen, so I'm going to keep riding it (or not with the snow on the ground) until I get it fixed... I'm going to let a few others be the Guinna Pig because the new parts don't necessarily equate to 'better' (ergo less driveshaft lash).

• 2 weeks later...

here's a copy of the service bulletin for the recall

attachicon.gifVFR1200 Propeller Shaft Repair Method.pdf

these are from Honda in Australia

attachicon.gifSBMC1525-VFR1200 Drive Shaft Recall.pdf

looks like they don't have to drain the final drive oil....you're going to have to pay for a change

Thanks for posting these! Mine was just delivered this evening and these seem to show that the new part number is 06400-MGE-306 which matches my receipt. Wanted to make sure because the guys at the dealership didn't seem to have any difficulty getting the part and didn't seem to know about the "hold-over" part.

I asked if Honda was paying for the delivery fee and they pretty much laughed. It was only $40 but, hey, it wasn't my idea to bring it in.

• Member Contributer

Dropped in to the local Honda shop in town. Had the service guys run the VIN, it's part of the recall. They ordered parts (10 days lead time) and told me to ride it in in the morning and it will be done by that afternoon. Easy enough. +1 for Apex Sports.

• 3 weeks later...

Received my recall letter from Honda UK today....only 2 weeks after having had the 'inspection' by my dealer! Makes me wonder if the inspection report sent to Honda UK by the dealer has prompted them to send the letter (am I being cynical?).

VFR1200F (2010-2015YM) & VFR1200X (2012-2015YM)

The letter explains that there are 2 parts to the recall:

Part one will be an inspection and replacement, if required, with a current specification drive shaft. Part two will be the replacement of the drive shaft with a countermeasure part even if it was replaced during part one of this campaign. You will receive another notification letter when part two is launched.

I have copied this from the letter so that there is no confusion about the Recall details, particularly for the owners who have not had the letter yet.

• Member Contributer

Hello, I am from China VFRCHINA CLUB founder, we have a lot of Chinese VFR1200F riders also need to change parts, but our special case we can not get the Honda official support, we hope VFRD can give us a help thank you, we need to accessories, and how to replace the detailed steps Very grateful to expect to the best way to reduce the distance of our communication

my tel +86 18915969576 《WeChat my email.. jackleftzuo@gmail.com thanks again !

• Member Contributer

Finally got mine replaced, and it does seem less clunky at low speeds. Waiting for the rain to go away.............

• 2 weeks later...

I was told yesterday that when the test is carried out and passes a pinch mark is out on the drive shaft UJ. When the shaft is replaced they put a punch mark on the right hand subframe rail under the seat.

The way I look at it is this: I've put 15k miles on my bike with this being a problem. I've toured across the country and even did a track day on the bike. The notice about the recall doesn't make the failure more likely to happen, so I'm going to keep riding it (or not with the snow on the ground) until I get it fixed... I'm going to let a few others be the Guinna Pig because the new parts don't necessarily equate to 'better' (ergo less driveshaft lash).

15k is nothing for H. I want to do the recall but a little concerned about dealer's abilities and experience with these bikes.