Big H Issued A Recall On Vfr1200F And Vfr1200X Re:drive-Shafts

Skids

• Member Contributer

Have we discovered if they are saying ALL VFR1200s are affected by this or only ones that fail a check (which check? There isn't one in either of those downloads, just replacement procedure)? Or is it only certain years or is it by a check?

• Member Contributer

here's a copy of the service bulletin for the recall

attachicon.gifVFR1200 Propeller Shaft Repair Method.pdf

these are from Honda in Australia

attachicon.gifSBMC1525-VFR1200 Drive Shaft Recall.pdf

looks like they don't have to drain the final drive oil....you're going to have to pay for a change

Interesting read, thanks Ishark. It's a nit, and I assume obvious, but in the repair procedure they don't specifically mention replacing the affected shaft with the countermeasure shaft in the VFR1200 F/FD section as they do on page 11 in the VFR1200X_XD section.

Looks like a lot of work to be done for roughly an hour of labor as allowed in the recall bulletin. Also, at least in Australia, no one can buy a 1200 from a dealer until this repair is done. Pretty sure simiiar law applies elsewhere.

Have we discovered if they are saying ALL VFR1200s are affected by this or only ones that fail a check (which check? There isn't one in either of those downloads, just replacement procedure)? Or is it only certain years or is it by a check?

On the first page of the recall bulletin they state these are the affected units by VIN:

Affected units

VFR1200F/FD/X/XD

JH2SC63U*AK000002 – JH2SC63U*FK400061

JH2SC70U*CK000002 – JH2SC70U*FK300048

Note: The asterix * denotes the check digit

But my dealer said his on-line info stated all units were to receive the repair. So, there is indeed some confusion.

I was in Norton Way Letchworth over Christmas and asked both at the service desk and Steve in the showroom. They both still claim to know nothing about this! Be interesting to see what happens next in the UK / Europe.

My VIN has A2DK3 at its centre which doesn't appear in the numbers above. It could simply be different countries / continents dealing with the recalls separately though of course. So, for now, in the UK, we wait.

Edited by RoystonRocket2

• Member Contributer

I was in Norton Way Letchworth over Christmas and asked both at the service desk and Steve in the showroom. They both still claim to know nothing about this! Be interesting to see what happens next in the UK / Europe.

At least mine isn't being ridden and hopefully by the time I get back, it will all be sorted.

If there's a time limit on the recall, I may have to ask you to take it in for me. :491:

At least mine isn't being ridden and hopefully by the time I get back, it will all be sorted.

If there's a time limit on the recall, I may have to ask you to take it in for me. :491:

No worries, I've been using yours since you went anyway ;-)

• Member Contributer

No worries, I've been using yours since you went anyway ;-)

Don't even joke about it! :ohmy:

This topic is generating interest with me too. I am in Canada and am unable to get any info from the Honda site. The affected units listed appear to country specific as my serial fits none of the lists. If any one from Canada has additional info I would appreciate it.

Thanks to everyone for posting to this topic. :unsure:

• Member Contributer

This topic is generating interest with me too. I am in Canada and am unable to get any info from the Honda site. The affected units listed appear to country specific as my serial fits none of the lists. If any one from Canada has additional info I would appreciate it.

Thanks to everyone for posting to this topic. :unsure:

Just follow this URL and put in your VIN. You will see a PDF with a notice from Honda Canada.

https://motorcycle.honda.ca/safety/recalls

So I'm reading through the service bulletin and I'm trying to figure out exactly what they are replacing. As they disassemble the rear end, they are replacing the caliper bolts, ring set and circlip on propeller shaft assembly. The dealer is also supposed to apply some moly grease when they re-assemble, but I'm not seeing any big parts they are replacing... they all seem like stuff you would replace anyways when doing a tare down.

My dealer in Manitoba Canada was notified of the recall. Since its -40c here with snow on the ground,I'm not in a big hurry. The dealer did tell that when I receive the letter from Honda Canada,to bring it to them,and they will order the parts. Each dealer is not automatically given the repair parts,without the documentation.

I just received my recall letter from Honda Korea. The recall is good for 5 years, recall starts on 2-15-2016. I have over 187,000 KM, could I be denied due to high mileage? My Shaft Drive failed (U-Joint) over 2 years ago and If they replace it with a new unit this will be the 3rd one.

Edited by Dae

• Member Contributer

Dae, there's no mention of mileage being a factor in the Australian recall paperwork so there probably wont be in the Korean either.

Are you going to ask about refunds for previous failures?

• Member Contributer

On the Australian website, item No 1 is a new prop-shaft, I can't see that being any different on the American or Canadian re-call.

The North American version does not have that table showing which new parts come in the recall kit. On the other hand the title of the bulletin is "propeller shaft replacement" so one would assume you get a new shaft assy.

I have over 187,000 KM, could I be denied due to high mileage?

They should be impressed more than anything. No way they can deny for high mileage.

Dae, there's no mention of mileage being a factor in the Australian recall paperwork so there probably wont be in the Korean either.

Are you going to ask about refunds for previous failures?

I should clarify that I had 1 U-Joint failure. In the recall notice, it states that I can get reimbursement for work done relating to shaft drive unit. Motorcycle.com has a good description and illustration on what parts failed in the driveshaft.

http://blog.motorcycle.com/2015/12/30/manufacturers/honda/2010-2013-honda-vfr1200f-recalled-for-driveshaft-issue/

This is my original post back in 2013.

http://www.vfrdiscussion.com/forum/index.php/topic/75671-failed-final-driveshaft/

Edited by Dae

• Member Contributer

Called my dealer today. They are expecting parts by the end of the month and will call me when they come in. Already had one other guy on their waiting list.

• Forum CEO

Mine failed over 2 years ago and cost me $2000 in repair cost, I wish the recall came out earlier.

I just got my recall notice, in it there is a provision and form for owners who have had theirs repaired to get reimbursed. Check that out. Of course my notice came from American Honda, so you will have to get the notice and reimbursement form perhaps from the dealer who sold you the bike.

Mine failed over 2 years ago and cost me $2000 in repair cost, I wish the recall came out earlier.

I just got my recall notice, in it there is a provision and form for owners who have had theirs repaired to get reimbursed. Check that out. Of course my notice came from American Honda, so you will have to get the notice and reimbursement form perhaps from the dealer who sold you the bike.

I contacted Honda Korea, they said shaft propeller should come into dealerships in Korea starting in Mid February 2016. I will get reimbursement for any work done to the shaft drive prior to the recall.

Korea only sold 36 VFR 1200 F & FD before taking out of it's lineup after 2012.

Edited by Dae

• Member Contributer

I contacted Honda Korea, they said shaft propeller should come into dealerships in Korea starting in Mid February 2016. I will get reimbursement for any work done to the shaft drive prior to the recall.

That is good news!

• Member Contributer

Mine showed up last week, and I went to the dealer to schedule. They said Honda didn't even know when the parts would be available. Then they said that they need to inform me that I should not ride the bike. I read the letter three times and no where does it say to stop riding - only that if you are concerned, to have it inspected. I just sent the forks and shock to Jamie, so I'm not in a rush, but I will be anxious to ride when the suspension comes back and I get it installed!

I guess I will just pull back the boot and give the U-joint a look....................

• Like 1