Big H Issued A Recall On Vfr1200F And Vfr1200X Re:drive-Shafts

Skids

Just got wind of this recall... went to the Honda corporate website and input my VIN.... bike #572 produced in 2010. One of the first batch made!

It says I need the inspection and repair. Mine's a 2010 manual shift with just over 9K miles.

I filled out a service request form from a local dealer online, mentioning I need the recall service/repair done.

I also asked if they had a loaner bike (so I could get home and then back the next day)

I also purchased the bike out of state last year... not so unusual, right?

Got back this rather pert reply from the service manager:

Hello Brian,
This is in response to your email sent to us regarding the drive shaft recall on your VFR. I do not show that you purchased said motorcycle from this dealership, nor do I have any record of any service work performed here. Thus, I will need your VIN to contact Honda and order the needed parts kit. There is currently no release date as to when we would receive said kit, so I cannot book you an appointment at this time.
The proper procedure is as follows.
1) send me your VFRs VIN number. I will contact Honda and order the kit for your unit. Once we receive the kit, I will contact you and set up an appointment.The work will take one day. Drop off the unit on the morning of your appointment and we would have it done that afternoon. Unfortunately, we do not have "loaner" motorcycles.
Thank you for your inquiry,
<Dealer Name Here>
Is it just me or does the letter above seem a bit rude?
BLIGHT
Here's the specifics regarding the recall:
post-23603-0-18425000-1451669602.jpg
Edited by BLIGHT

Dunno, seems ok to me. Just a robotic response to an enquiry. I wouldn't take it personally!

OK, I'll let it go... it's not like I have a lot of options anyway!

Bummed I can't ride it for several weeks with some peace of mind though.

Think I'll do the suggested visual check inside the rubber boot and see if anything looks weird or loose.

My 40 year old GL1000 never had any driveshaft issues... you'd think Honda would have had plenty of time to make it 'bulletproof'

BLIGHT

• Like 1

• Member Contributer

Dunno, seems ok to me. Just a robotic response to ary. I wouldn't take it personally!

+1. Seems very reasonable. Honda loaner bikes in the US is almost unheard of, especially if your bike is out of warranty.

Dunno, seems ok to me. Just a robotic response to an enquiry. I wouldn't take it personally!

OK, I'll let it go... it's not like I have a lot of options anyway!

Bummed I can't ride it for several weeks with some peace of mind though.

Think I'll do the suggested visual check inside the rubber boot and see if anything looks weird or loose.

My 40 year old GL1000 never had any driveshaft issues... you'd think Honda would have had plenty of time to make it 'bulletproof'

BLIGHT

if this was a no ride recall the NHTSA would have been very clear about it....your u joint is in the same condition it was in before honda made the press release.....if you feel any vibration, go and get a replacement part installed while waiting for the remedy parts to be available......a guy on the facebook page had it done already, it takes a couple of hours

i sheared off the filler cap on the final drive case rather easily last year....that part is the valve tappet cover from the old CB750 and SL/XL singles from the 60's and 70's...CB 350 too i think.....they were known to break

post-23916-0-69841400-1451921895.jpg

post-23916-0-19174100-1451921940.jpg

your final drive oil will get changed during the recall service

So there is no chance of getting a 'free' differential fluid change out of it. I understand it's easy and straight forward... I'm just a chronic over-tightener and don't want to sheer off the bolt.

Buy a set of torque wrenches ;-)

I have a set of torque wrenches... but as I'm putting stuff back together, I always have to turn it just a little more... then a little bit more for good measure. My dad is the same way and I will probably pass on that same nasty trait to my son (circle of life and all).

I have a set of torque wrenches... but as I'm putting stuff back together, I always have to turn it just a little more... then a little bit more for good measure. My dad is the same way and I will probably pass on that same nasty trait to my son (circle of life and all).

Torque wrench will just give trouble on this cap. Proper tool for this particular cap is a socket drive with a screwdriver handle, or holding the socket wrench at the head and not the handle

• Member Contributer

your final drive oil will get changed during the recall service

So bring along some good oil for them to put in instead of them using the Honda stuff.

• Like 1

• Member Contributer

I think the message is professional, informative, and helpful.

The service staff are likely very busy. And the service person went to the trouble to search their purchase or repair records for your motorcycle then write you a through letter, showing what they need from you and how they would proceed.

I'm no fan of dealers. But I'd be happy to get that message from my local Honda dealer.

Cheers

Just got wind of this recall... went to the Honda corporate website and input my VIN.... bike #572 produced in 2010. One of the first batch made!

It says I need the inspection and repair. Mine's a 2010 manual shift with just over 9K miles.

I filled out a service request form from a local dealer online, mentioning I need the recall service/repair done.

I also asked if they had a loaner bike (so I could get home and then back the next day)

I also purchased the bike out of state last year... not so unusual, right?

Got back this rather pert reply from the service manager:

Hello Brian,
This is in response to your email sent to us regarding the drive shaft recall on your VFR. I do not show that you purchased said motorcycle from this dealership, nor do I have any record of any service work performed here. Thus, I will need your VIN to contact Honda and order the needed parts kit. There is currently no release date as to when we would receive said kit, so I cannot book you an appointment at this time.
The proper procedure is as follows.
1) send me your VFRs VIN number. I will contact Honda and order the kit for your unit. Once we receive the kit, I will contact you and set up an appointment.The work will take one day. Drop off the unit on the morning of your appointment and we would have it done that afternoon. Unfortunately, we do not have "loaner" motorcycles.
Thank you for your inquiry,
<Dealer Name Here>
Is it just me or does the letter above seem a bit rude?
BLIGHT
Here's the specifics regarding the recall:

I get the same when I check my bike details. The recall still hasn't been made official in the uk. Hopefully they are just waiting for the parts to be available before they anounce it. But it is definitely going to be in the uk.

• Member Contributer

You guys think you got it bad? Yamaha have just announced a recall on ALL YZF-R1s and YZF-R1Ms globally to replace the gearboxes following a number of failures. Now that is a big job! Engine out and cases split etc etc.

Source - http://www.motorcyclenews.com/news/2015/december/recall-yamaha-2015-yzf-r1-and-yzf-r1m/

• Member Contributer

You guys think you got it bad? Yamaha have just announced a recall on ALL YZF-R1s and YZF-R1Ms globally to replace the gearboxes following a number of failures. Now that is a big job! Engine out and cases split etc etc.

Source - http://www.motorcyclenews.com/news/2015/december/recall-yamaha-2015-yzf-r1-and-yzf-r1m/

Holy crap have not read anything about this until now.

Just dropped my 2010 off at my dealership. It failed the inspection. Evidently there's an inspection "hole" somewhere within the assembly that if not present, it needs replacement. That hole would be the newer part obviously, none of us will have it. They have to call into honda direct for replacement parts on this bike. The parts don't come up within dealership maintenance systems. This one is kept close to Big Red I guess. I was also told I couldn't get a loaner. Gonna fight that, kinda mad they wont. Should at least get reimbursement for a vehicle.

Sent from my SM-N910P using Tapatalk

Edited by Artfulkatana

Wow what's it like to own a very low volume bike ? Honda just inadvertently told us how poor sales have been.

"(Total 2) (Two models)

(Scope of the entire production life cycle)

3/2/2010-9/2/2015 (1852 bikes)"

That's 1852 bikes sold in 5 years ! Or approx 370 per year, I assume that's world wide ! That's the kind of numbers sold in the UK at the moment for most major bikes in the 600-1000cc size range ! That's very poor numbers. Must be why the RCV213S costs so much to recoup losses ! :(

That's so sad 'cos IMO it's such a great bike. I've got a Jan '14 DCT model and I just love it. The build quality (excepting the present and soon to be sorted drive-shaft woes) is up to Rolls-Royce standard and the price reflects this. Unfortunately it seems there's not enough riders out there that can/will pay for it. I was looking forward to replacing my bike with a another brand new one in 2017 but there's a 'whisper' that because of poor sales it may be dropped from the range before then.

The irony is that I got so fed-up with the high demands of rear chain maintenance on my otherwise beautiful 2011 HRC Fireblade that I finally traded it in for the low maintenance, long life reliability of a shaft-drive bike. DOH!

here's a copy of the service bulletin for the recall

VFR1200 Propeller Shaft Repair Method.pdf

these are from Honda in Australia

SBMC1525-VFR1200 Drive Shaft Recall.pdf

looks like they don't have to drain the final drive oil....you're going to have to pay for a change

• Like 3