Big H Issued A Recall On Vfr1200F And Vfr1200X Re:drive-Shafts

Skids

I think the key word here (at least for us Northern Hemisphere guys) is JANUARY.....I think i'm going to ride it whenever it's nice out until they put down salt for the first time...which prob won't be long....then the forks come off and go to see Jamie.......i also had 44K miles on my 2010.....no issues....i'm not stressing...get it done in february

When I called my dealership, they said don't ride it. Evidently they've heard of the rear wheel actually looking up. Which is odd since they only sold 3000 of these bikes world wide it looks like, according to the Japanese recall posting. I had to buy a car to drive because I'm not taking the bike. I wonder if I can make honda pay for that...hmmm...anyway, my dealer said early Feb is when I should expect my parts. Then again, living north of Seattle, parts won't be here until July, HA!

Sent from my SM-N910P using Tapatalk

Edited by Artfulkatana

• Member Contributer

When I called my dealership, they said don't ride it. Evidently they've heard of the rear wheel actually looking up. Which is odd since they only sold 3000 of these bikes world wide it looks like, according to the Japanese recall posting. I had to buy a car to drive because I'm not taking the bike. I wonder if I can make honda pay for that...hmmm...anyway, my dealer said early Feb is when I should expect my parts. Then again, living north of Seattle, parts won't be here until July, HA!

I think if the situation was urgent Honda would have notices to owners ASAP. That isn't happening so I will keep on putting as many miles as possible on my VFR.

• Member Contributer

It's probably one of those things they've seen only a handful of, and have calculated that it's cheaper to do the recall than pay a settlement or suffer a judgement in a wrongful death suit. The odds of any one unit failing are likely quite low.

• Like 1

if it was an imminent danger, the NHTSA would have issued a no-ride recall in the US......this is based on the potential for catastrophic failure, due to some less serious failures or early wear situations ....i think this is a voluntary recall on Honda's part

• Like 1

• Member Contributer

3000 worldwide??? That since 2010? So five years equates to 600 a year (worldwide). Popular bike then.

3000 worldwide??? That since 2010? So five years equates to 600 a year (worldwide). Popular bike then.

Well, someone need to learn how to read...3000 units was only for a recall and in Japan only. They sold at least 20 times more...

Edited by veeefour

Mine failed over 2 years ago and cost me $2000 in repair cost, I wish the recall came out earlier.

Probably been said, but surely you have a case for reclaiming the cost of this due to it being acknowledged as a fault?

• Like 2

• Member Contributer

Mine failed over 2 years ago and cost me $2000 in repair cost, I wish the recall came out earlier.

Probably been said, but surely you have a case for reclaiming the cost of this due to it being acknowledged as a fault?

Honda will not refund work preformed before recall or at least not here . Maybe there they will .

Honda will not refund work preformed before recall or at least not here . Maybe there they will .

i'd get a lawyer

was it the u joint that failed ????

I would absolutely be getting my money back. Charging £xxx/$xxx for work that is a known fault is more than enough grounds to request the money back. Either way, they've spent/would have spent the time rectifying it, so the money isn't required by them. I'm under the impression that the manufacturer compensates the dealer for any recall work performed anyway.

Also, rather than reading this whole thread - is this recall essentially for ALL 1200 bikes produced during the period in question? As I'm picking up a 2010 model in the new year, I'd like to know - I just don't have the VIN available to check online.

• Member Contributer

I would absolutely be getting my money back. Charging £xxx/$xxx for work that is a known fault is more than enough grounds to request the money back. Either way, they've spent/would have spent the time rectifying it, so the money isn't required by them. I'm under the impression that the manufacturer compensates the dealer for any recall work performed anyway.

Also, rather than reading this whole thread - is this recall essentially for ALL 1200 bikes produced during the period in question? As I'm picking up a 2010 model in the new year, I'd like to know - I just don't have the VIN available to check online.

The Vin No is a waste of time at the moment, because it will come up as no re-call on your Vin No, until Honda have all the parts in stock, to do the re-call, we will have to be patient, then reg keepers, will get a letter through the post. As regards to how many bikes, I would of thought most of them, its only the latest models on the production run that won't be effected, and only Honda know that.

Thanks Dave.

This might sound a bit special, but how will Honda know I'm the owner? I'm assuming they only know the details of the original person who bought the bike from the dealer, or do they somehow use DVLA etc?

Also, are there any signs this may well be ready to go wrong on the bike? I've got a ~350 mile ride from where it is, back to mine in London - would rather this not lock my rear wheel up mid bend...or at any point really! The bike's got 55k on it so I doubt it's about to go *ping* but you never know.

• Member Contributer

Just to make sure, go to your nearest Honda dealer, when you know the re-calls in the UK have started, I will let you know, as soon as I know. As regards to your 350 mile journey, that should not be a problem. For minds sake, I can see of the photo, that your bike as a centre stand, put the bike on the centre stand, [do not run the engine when you do this], then on the left hand side of the engine, there is a rubber gator, just forward of the swing arm pivot, just un clip the gator so you can see the UJ of the prop-shaft, now do a visual check, if there is any sign of heat build up, ie purple or dark blue, around the UJ, [don't ride your bike] if all's well, make sure she is in neutral, and rotate the rear wheel, in a forward direction, now it should rotate freely and quietly, now at the same time have a look at the UJ while it is rotating, now put it in 1st gear and do the same, rotate backwards and forwards, there will be some free play, when you do this but there is nothing to worry about, they all do it., now if there is any sign of the UJ grabbing again [don't ride it,] But I am sure it will be ok. Because I know your bike will have been serviced, correctly. Hope this helps, enjoy your ride home, ride safe, Dave.

Thanks Dave.

This might sound a bit special, but how will Honda know I'm the owner? I'm assuming they only know the details of the original person who bought the bike from the dealer, or do they somehow use DVLA etc?

Also, are there any signs this may well be ready to go wrong on the bike? I've got a ~350 mile ride from where it is, back to mine in London - would rather this not lock my rear wheel up mid bend...or at any point really! The bike's got 55k on it so I doubt it's about to go *ping* but you never know.

A photo of a UJ in good condition.

post-26584-0-75826000-1451473005.jpg

• Like 1

For legal purposes for those who own the bike in question you have have been unofficially notified .

Think about that for a minute .

Serious question (and utterly off topic) do you have something wrong with your spacebar?

• Like 1

• Member Contributer

For legal purposes for those who own the bike in question you have have been unofficially notified .

Think about that for a minute .

Serious question (and utterly off topic) do you have something wrong with your spacebar?

:wink:

Got my letter from Honda Australia as well.

Rang my local Honda dealer and they said that the parts are on back order and will arrive in about a month.

Meanwhile I will be continuing to ride my bike.