Big H Issued A Recall On Vfr1200F And Vfr1200X Re:drive-Shafts

Skids

Question - appleis to USA owners - I'm a second owner, bought directly from a man that bought the bike new.

How will Honda know to email a letter to me? Do they check title registrations through the Department of Motorvehicles for each state? Or do they send letters only to those who bought new?

The bike had the extended warranty, so I transferred that into my name at the small local dealer, but I wonder how Honda Motorsports will know to include me in the notice.

Just curious - still not showing up on the recall page.

THanks,

-Dan

They'll find you through DMV. Got a recall notice for my Yamaha several months ago. I am not the original owner and never registered anything with Yamaha.

@Swimmer, it sounds like you have already updated the mailing routine by transferring info at a dealership, as I was told that Is the process. Not done by phone or online.

They also confirmed the pending driveline U-joint recall today. Honda Powersports Cust Ser. 866-784-1870. (Have your Vin. # handy)

Honda of San Mateo, CA also confirmed pending recall...

"If you're having issues, have it inspected. The dealership will communicate up line if needed. If no issues, wait for the letter" was their comment to me.

At speed all feels fine here but...

How much slow speed slop n clatter is too much? I'm hearing varying degrees.

Hi guys!

This is the site. The news is correct. What matters is the year and chassis number. I've done early schedule althoug my machine keeps candy.
An the summer is high! bramm, bramm

http://www.honda.com.br/imprensa/noticias/Paginas/Honda-convoca-proprietarios-dos-modelos-VFR-1200-F-e-VFR-1200-X-Crosstourer.aspx

• Member Contributer

AMERICAN HONDA EXPECTS TO RECEIVE THE FIRST SHIPMENTS OF THE REMEDY PARTS IN LATE 2015 TO EARLY 2016

So...

1. When do the new and improved driveshaft parts arrive at the dealer? Sounds like it could be next week, or next spring. Does anyone have any intel on when we will be actually able to get this fixed?

2. And, as others have posted, what driveline slop is normal, and what is a sign of imminent disaster? My 2010 has always had a lot of driveline lash--riding around a parking garage is an unpleasant, clunky exercise in clutch control. This will definitely have me thinking going round the cliffs on the PCH!

• Like 1

• Member Contributer

Question - appleis to USA owners - I'm a second owner, bought directly from a man that bought the bike new.

How will Honda know to email a letter to me? Do they check title registrations through the Department of Motorvehicles for each state? Or do they send letters only to those who bought new?

The bike had the extended warranty, so I transferred that into my name at the small local dealer, but I wonder how Honda Motorsports will know to include me in the notice.

THanks,

-Dan

They'll find you through DMV. Got a recall notice for my Yamaha several months ago. I am not the original owner and never registered anything with Yamaha.

@Swimmer, it sounds like you have already updated the mailing routine by transferring info at a dealership, as I was told that Is the process. Not done by phone or online.

They also confirmed the pending driveline U-joint recall today. Honda Powersports Cust Ser. 866-784-1870. (Have your Vin. # handy)

"If you're having issues, have it inspected. The dealership will communicate up line if needed. If no issues, wait for the letter" was their comment to me.

No, I didn't buy the Yamaha from a dealer and certainly never took it near a dealer. The recall notice just showed up. They get their information from the DMV.

THanks,

-Dan

No, I didn't buy the Yamaha from a dealer and certainly never took it near a dealer. The recall notice just showed up. They get their information from the DMV.

Oh right, I meant to Rider14...

So I guess I'm going to have to find a dealer to get my bike fixed. Last place my dad took his Goldwing to kinked his Radiator return hose when reassembling the bike causing it to overheat...

I just don't trust anyone to work on my bike (and that includes myself at times).

• Like 1

It would appear that not all of the staff in customer services at Honda UK know about the recall. When I rang them I must have spoken to a different member of staff to the one that some dealers have spoken to, mine knew absolutely nothing about a recall. When I pressed him, he asked for my registration number and then told me there were no recalls for my Vfr1200F DCT.

try searching your VIN# here ...http://powersports.honda.com/recalls.aspx

ask customer service about Campaign ID JW2

regardless if you purchased the bike new or private resale, just bring it to any Honda dealer and they will run the VIN# and fix bike if it's been recalled ,....it doesn't matter if you have the letter, they are concerned about accounting for every unit sold

• Member Contributer

Went to my dealer yesterday armed with the info on my 1200. They pulled up the recall bulletin on the computer and said it was news to them, hadn't received any separate notices from mother Honda. They printed out the full repair procedure Honda provided. However, the PN's for the new parts weren't available in their system yet, so they couldn't schedule the repair until they were. They also said the bulletin said no checking required, just full parts replacement and it didn't segregate repair based on VIN, year etc. - all were to be repaired.

• Like 1

• Member Contributer

Went to my dealer yesterday armed with the info on my 1200. They pulled up the recall bulletin on the computer and said it was news to them, hadn't received any separate notices from mother Honda. They printed out the full repair procedure Honda provided. However, the PN's for the new parts weren't available in their system yet, so they couldn't schedule the repair until they were. They also said the bulletin said no checking required, just full parts replacement and it didn't segregate repair based on VIN, year etc. - all were to be repaired.

I was told to same by my dealer as the recall is there but no parts are available yet so hopefully the parts will be in shortly.

i was just looking at the service manual (pg 14-6), it doesn't seem to be a terribly difficult job, swing arm doesn't have to be removed

• Member Contributer

i was just looking at the service manual (pg 14-6), it doesn't seem to be a terribly difficult job, swing arm doesn't have to be removed

In fact, the Honda sevice tech quoted me one hour to do the full warranty repair, which I was a bit surprised by. It would take me an hour just to clear my workbench, read the manual, and crack open a beer.

• Like 4

• Forum CEO
VIN: JH2SC6317AK000775
  • YEAR: 2010
  • CATEGORY: MOTORCYCLES
  • SUB-CATEGORY: SPORT
  • MODEL: VFR1200F
  • NUMBER OF OPEN RECALLS: 1

• LAST UPDATED: DEC 14, 2015

NHTSA RECALL NUMBER: TBD CAMPAIGN DESCRIPTION: 10-13 VFR12 PROPELLER SHAFT MFR CAMPAIGN ID: JW2 RECALL DATE: 12/04/2015 RECALL STATUS: Recall INCOMPLETE
SUMMARY:

AMERICAN HONDA MOTOR CO., INC. (HONDA) IS RECALLING CERTAIN MODEL YEAR 2010 AND 2012-2013 VFR1200F/FD MOTORCYCLES. THE DRIVESHAFT UNIVERSAL JOINT BEARING MAY NOT HAVE BEEN PROPERLY ASSEMBLED AND, EVEN IF PROPERLY ASSEMBLED, MAY NOT HAVE SPECIFIED DURABILITY AS THE RESULT OF MANUFACTURING ERRORS.

SAFETY RISK:

IF THE UNIVERSAL JOINT SEPARATES, DRIVE FORCE WILL BE LOST; IF THE UNIVERSAL JOINT BREAKS, IT IS POSSIBLE IT MAY INTERFERE WITH THE SWING ARM AND LOCK THE REAR WHEEL WHILE RIDING. EITHER OUTCOME INCREASES THE RISK OF A CRASH.

REMEDY:

HONDA WILL NOTIFY OWNERS. AND DEALERS WILL REPLACE THE DRIVESHAFT, FREE OF CHARGE. WHILE AMERICAN HONDA EXPECTS TO RECEIVE THE FIRST SHIPMENTS OF THE REMEDY PARTS IN LATE 2015 TO EARLY 2016, CUSTOMERS WHO ARE CONCERNED ABOUT THE POTENTIAL OF EXPERIENCING SYMPTOMS OF THE DEFECT BEFORE THE REMEDY PARTS ARE AVAILABLE CAN BRING THEIR VEHICLE TO A HONDA MOTORCYCLE DEALERSHIP FOR INSPECTION. IF THE DRIVESHAFT FAILS THE INSPECTION, THE DRIVESHAFT WILL BE REPLACED WITH A NEW PRE-COUNTERMEASURE PART, FREE OF CHARGE; THE CUSTOMER WILL BE ASKED TO RETURN TO HAVE THE DRIVESHAFT REPLACED WITH A REMEDY PART ONCE PARTS ARE AVAILABLE. ONCE PARTS ARE AVAILABLE, HONDA DEALERS WILL REPLACE THE DRIVESHAFT ON ALL AFFECTED VEHICLES WITH A REMEDY PART, FREE OF CHARGE.

• Member Contributer

In fact, the Honda sevice tech quoted me one hour to do the full warranty repair, which I was a bit surprised by. It would take me an hour just to clear my workbench, read the manual, and crack open a beer.

Sometimes it takes me that long just to get the bodywork off, LOL!

Well this is a helluva way for Honda to compete with BMW. :-(

Good luck everyone.

• Member Contributer
VIN: JH2SC6317AK000775
  • YEAR: 2010
  • CATEGORY: MOTORCYCLES
  • SUB-CATEGORY: SPORT
  • MODEL: VFR1200F
  • NUMBER OF OPEN RECALLS: 1

• LAST UPDATED: DEC 14, 2015

NHTSA RECALL NUMBER: TBD CAMPAIGN DESCRIPTION: 10-13 VFR12 PROPELLER SHAFT MFR CAMPAIGN ID: JW2 RECALL DATE: 12/04/2015 RECALL STATUS: Recall INCOMPLETE
SUMMARY:

AMERICAN HONDA MOTOR CO., INC. (HONDA) IS RECALLING CERTAIN MODEL YEAR 2010 AND 2012-2013 VFR1200F/FD MOTORCYCLES. THE DRIVESHAFT UNIVERSAL JOINT BEARING MAY NOT HAVE BEEN PROPERLY ASSEMBLED AND, EVEN IF PROPERLY ASSEMBLED, MAY NOT HAVE SPECIFIED DURABILITY AS THE RESULT OF MANUFACTURING ERRORS.

SAFETY RISK:

IF THE UNIVERSAL JOINT SEPARATES, DRIVE FORCE WILL BE LOST; IF THE UNIVERSAL JOINT BREAKS, IT IS POSSIBLE IT MAY INTERFERE WITH THE SWING ARM AND LOCK THE REAR WHEEL WHILE RIDING. EITHER OUTCOME INCREASES THE RISK OF A CRASH.

REMEDY:

HONDA WILL NOTIFY OWNERS. AND DEALERS WILL REPLACE THE DRIVESHAFT, FREE OF CHARGE. WHILE AMERICAN HONDA EXPECTS TO RECEIVE THE FIRST SHIPMENTS OF THE REMEDY PARTS IN LATE 2015 TO EARLY 2016, CUSTOMERS WHO ARE CONCERNED ABOUT THE POTENTIAL OF EXPERIENCING SYMPTOMS OF THE DEFECT BEFORE THE REMEDY PARTS ARE AVAILABLE CAN BRING THEIR VEHICLE TO A HONDA MOTORCYCLE DEALERSHIP FOR INSPECTION. IF THE DRIVESHAFT FAILS THE INSPECTION, THE DRIVESHAFT WILL BE REPLACED WITH A NEW PRE-COUNTERMEASURE PART, FREE OF CHARGE; THE CUSTOMER WILL BE ASKED TO RETURN TO HAVE THE DRIVESHAFT REPLACED WITH A REMEDY PART ONCE PARTS ARE AVAILABLE. ONCE PARTS ARE AVAILABLE, HONDA DEALERS WILL REPLACE THE DRIVESHAFT ON ALL AFFECTED VEHICLES WITH A REMEDY PART, FREE OF CHARGE.

Good job on Honda for addressing this issue properly.

• Forum CEO

I almost have 50k on this bike - I will get the work done but doubt it has an issue, it would have failed by now? She needs some loving care, shock rebuild, new rear brake disc ready to put on, replacing some plastic, new shoes, new tires. I will be ready this summer to ride.

I almost have 50k on this bike - I will get the work done but doubt it has an issue, it would have failed by now? She needs some loving care, shock rebuild, new rear brake disc ready to put on, replacing some plastic, new shoes, new tires. I will be ready this summer to ride.

Mine failed at 94,000 KM (56,000 Miles), I would get it checked especially if Honda is willing to pay for the inspection.

• Like 1

My 2010 is subject to the recall. 44K miles and no issues, but obviously I don't want to have a problem. I have not received my letter in the mail, but I talked to the dealer. Honda tells the dealer the parts will not be available until at least mid-January (and perhaps later).