Big H Issued A Recall On Vfr1200F And Vfr1200X Re:drive-Shafts

Skids

• Member Contributer

Hmmmm.....from another forum, ALL 2010-2013 VFR1200 F & FD (DCT) models are included in the recall. Whether that relates to UK only, UK/Euro only or worldwide I don't know.

I'd suggest folk use the linked recall check or call their nearest main dealer.

Better to be sure.

• Member Contributer

Saw my Honda dealer here in Toronto on the weekend and he confirms Canadian recall notice and to expect a letter. Says they will fix before we get back on the bikes in the spring. Bikes have been flawless in four years of across North America riding. Just rolling with it as I have had many recalls on many vehicles over the course of my motoring life. This will not be the last and too shall pass.

• Member Contributer

Not seeing my 2010 listed as having a recall either... I wonder if the 'fix' addresses the real problem, or if it's just a band-aid for users to limp along until their next motorcycle purchase.

12-7-2015%2012-54-03%20PM_zpsbwrktli7.pn

Limp along? Not a whole lot of drive shaft failures happening so I suspect this may have gone completely unnoticed had Honda not issued the recall. I didn't feel like I was limping along on my way to work this morning.

If it's a big enough issue for Honda to do a recall, they must know something we either don't know, or haven't seen (yet). As with all recalls, I ask myself, is the manufacturer addressing the root cause or are they simply replacing the part(s) that are wearing out.

I agree with you swimmer. I don't think it's been a real 'problem' on my 2010. There is a little more slop in the drive train than I would like, but otherwise it fits 80% of my needs (dedicated track bike and wife's cruiser fill that last 20%).

• Member Contributer

... Not a whole lot of drive shaft failures happening so I suspect this may have gone completely unnoticed had Honda not issued the recall. ...

There have been reports of drive shaft failures on the 7th gens and the hard time riders were having with Honda replacing under warranty... especially on the European sites.

• Like 1

No details yet from Honda Canada, but does show up as a recall pending for a 2010 1200F:

http://motorcycle.honda.ca/safety/recalls

We’ve found the following outstanding recalls and/or product updates for your Honda. Please open each PDF for complete details and to learn what actions should be taken.

Contact your Honda Dealer to arrange a no-charge appointment to have the product update or recall addressed.

If you need assistance, please contact Honda Canada’s Customer Relations Department at the contact information below:

Honda Canada Inc.
180 Honda Blvd
Markham ON L6C 0H9
Tel: 1-888-9HONDA9
Fax (Toll Free): 1-877-939-0909
Email: honda_cr@ch.honda.com

Recall Notifications (1)

logo_no_pdf.pngAn outstanding recall or product update campaign has been identified for your vehicle. However, the description document for this campaign is not yet available. It will be posted shortly. For immediate assistance, please contact your Honda dealer or Honda Canada Customer Relations at 888-9HONDA9 for more information.

I dont have a problem with any manufacturer having a recall. To me the company,weather its automotive, bikes or coffee makers,is admitting to a defect. To many times manufacturers hide a defect,and some have serious outcomes. It's unfortunate that some owners were made to pay for this out of their own pocket. Since there is a recall on this defect,those people should be refunded in full,for what the repair cost them.

It's sometimes hard for a manufacturer to know if a problem is an isolated problem,or a mass production defect. Hopefully this is a one time fix,and doesn't need repair,every xxx amount of miles. I'll be contacting my dealer this week to get the Canadian update on this.

• Like 1

Recall in Brazil ( SC 63 and SC 70 produced between 2010 and 2013). 489 Units.

Recall start Januari 4th 2016.

It's seems a second recall will be done half March 2016 (Portugees?) A new driveshaft is in development by Honda to avoid these problems in the future.

Quote (translated from Portugese):

"According to Honda, this is a precautionary call, which aims to "protect consumers from any possible manifestation of symptoms." The brand says that a new component is in overseas development, and in mid-March, a new call will be made to install the new drive shaft assembly, endowed with definite improvements, completely eliminating the possibility of occurrence of the mentioned symptoms."

http://g1.globo.com/carros/motos/noticia/2015/12/honda-faz-recall-das-motos-vfr-1200f-e-vfr-1200x-crosstourer.html

Spoke with the dealer I purchased my 2013 (new) from and they say there are no recalls on my model. They also said they're unaware of any recall.

We have a recall on all SC 63 and SC70 models produced between 2010 and 2013. No doubt anymore (even in the UK)...

It says a lot about your dealer how he deals with your concern. Nada! Of Course, this is my opinion!

Edited by vfrflanders

Spoke with the dealer I purchased my 2013 (new) from and they say there are no recalls on my model. They also said they're unaware of any recall.

We have a recall on all SC 63 and SC70 models produced between 2010 and 2013. No doubt anymore (even in the UK)...

It says a lot about your dealer how he deals with your concern. Nada! Of Course, this is my opinion!

You've jumped to a conclusion a little hastily there. Forgive me, I paraphrased, what they actually said is bear with us while we check, no nothing showing and we are not aware of anything yet. If Honda UK do make us aware of anything we will let you know straight away.

I also checked for myself on the Honda UK website against my VIN and that also states "no recall or updates" against this vehicle or some such similar words.

http://www.honda.co.uk/motorcycles/my-bike/maintenance/recalls-and-updates.html

I'm not sure what more a dealer can do if Honda haven't reported anything? I don't see why some people are getting on their high horse over this. These things happen! I've been designing products for the best part of 30 years and even I didn't get everything right and I'm a genius ;-)

Edited by RoystonRocket2
  • Like 2

• Member Contributer

You've jumped to a conclusion a little hastily there. Forgive me, I paraphrased, what they actually said is bear with us while we check, no nothing showing and we are not aware of anything yet. If Honda UK do make us aware of anything we will let you know straight away.

I also checked for myself on the Honda UK website against my VIN and that also states "no recall or updates" against this vehicle or some such similar words.

http://www.honda.co.uk/motorcycles/my-bike/maintenance/recalls-and-updates.html

I'm not sure what more a dealer can do if Honda haven't reported anything? I don't see why some people are getting on their high horse over this. These things happen! I've been designing products for the best part of 30 years and even I didn't get everything right and I'm a genius ;-)

Internet fueled rage is a transitory thing overtaken in short order by the next bright shiny object worthy of derision entering the field of view.

• Like 2

• Member Contributer

Don't take any notice of your main dealer, all main dealers use the same info, and all will say no recall on your vin No, just wait until you get your letter from Honda UK, because you will, regardless of what your dealer says. :smile2:

Don't take any notice of your main dealer, all main dealers use the same info, and all will say no recall on your vin No, just wait until you get your letter from Honda UK, because you will, regardless of what your dealer says. :smile2:

I didn't / don't doubt that it may well come. I've a little experience of this bike ownership lark having started riding and owning them 35 years ago. I'm just saying until I have official notice from Honda then internet speculation means nothing. Currently, the dealer and Honda UK say no recall. When / if they do recall it, I'll take it in a get the work done.

• Member Contributer

I didn't / don't doubt that it may well come. I've a little experience of this bike ownership lark having started riding and owning them 35 years ago. I'm just saying until I have official notice from Honda then internet speculation means nothing. Currently, the dealer and Honda UK say no recall. When / if they do recall it, I'll take it in a get the work done.

My dealer also told me, I have checked your Vin No, and no re-call is listed on your motorcycle, so I told him, I have been trying to get hold of Honda UK customer services all morning to clarify the rumors regarding the drive shaft. So after he got in touch with Honda UK, he then rang me back later in the day to say different, you will be getting a letter from Honda UK later in the week, regarding a re-call, with the UJ in the drive shaft.

• Member Contributer

Question - appleis to USA owners - I'm a second owner, bought directly from a man that bought the bike new.

How will Honda know to email a letter to me? Do they check title registrations through the Department of Motorvehicles for each state? Or do they send letters only to those who bought new?

The bike had the extended warranty, so I transferred that into my name at the small local dealer, but I wonder how Honda Motorsports will know to include me in the notice.

Just curious - still not showing up on the recall page.

THanks,

-Dan

• Member Contributer

Question - appleis to USA owners - I'm a second owner, bought directly from a man that bought the bike new.

How will Honda know to email a letter to me? Do they check title registrations through the Department of Motorvehicles for each state? Or do they send letters only to those who bought new?

The bike had the extended warranty, so I transferred that into my name at the small local dealer, but I wonder how Honda Motorsports will know to include me in the notice.

Just curious - still not showing up on the recall page.

THanks,

-Dan

They'll find you through DMV. Got a recall notice for my Yamaha several months ago. I am not the original owner and never registered anything with Yamaha.