Big H Issued A Recall On Vfr1200F And Vfr1200X Re:drive-Shafts

Skids

• Member Contributer

3awcKU.jpg

Seen there has been a recall on selected frame number VFR1200 units from Feb 2010 to Feb 2015 regarding drive shaft yoke problems which could be serious for the users if there is a failure. Although H do not state exactly that.

Which Google translated states:-
"In the yoke joint portion of the propeller shaft , since the shape of the housing that holds the caulking pressure and bearing of bearing dropout prevention is inappropriate , bearing internal There are those that worn by the heat and high load due to friction at the time of traveling . Therefore , continuing the running intact , York joint damage , in the worst case , you can become impossible traveling , propeller shaft is to interfere with the swing arm , the rear wheel there is a risk of lock ."

See http://www.honda.co.jp/recall/151203_3709.html

Bikes affected to date:- (Bing translation)
Recall of the VFR1200F, VFR1200X (notification 12/3/2015)
Recall notification number 3709
Recall start date 12/4/2015
Defect parts (part number) power transmission equipment (propeller shaft)
Standards non-compliance status to the structural finds,
Equipment or performance condition and its causes
Yoke joint propeller shaft there are because the shape of the housing, to maintain pressure and bearing and fasten the bearing through the prevention of inappropriate heat caused by friction during driving and high load bearing internal wear. As a result, you may yoke joint is damaged and keep the vehicle in its entirety, or undrivable and worst case, propeller shaft and interfere with the swing arm, rear wheel to lock.
Replace the products your propeller shaft of the improvement measures. However, York Joint malfunction is confirmed and takes time to supply products that, as an interim measure for the time being, the propeller shaft check out what the new replace the propeller shaft.

Honda
EBL-SC63 VFR1200F
SC63-1000020-SC63-1001061
3/2/2010-12/9/2010 1042
SC63-1100001-SC63-1100326
1/20/2011-1/17/2012 326
SC63-1200011-SC63-1200177
2/20/2012-10/31/2012 167
SC63-1300001-SC63-1300206
11/6/2012-7/13/2015 206

EBL-SC70 VFR1200X
SC70-1000005-SC70-1000115
2/20/2014-9/2/2015 111

(Total 2) (Two models)
(Scope of the entire production life cycle)
3/2/2010-9/2/2015 (1852 bikes)

• Member Contributer

Recall start date ?? 12 April 2015 (Europe) or Dec 4 2015 (USA)??

I think they're using the wrong US date convention. :491:

• Like 2

• Member Contributer

Mine failed over 2 years ago and cost me $2000 in repair cost, I wish the recall came out earlier.

Well now H have agreed there's a problem I'b asking for some compensation

and a consultancy fee because you were effectively employed by HONDA to be a

3dd06e881258493ab7f3c32231bb13df.700x456

:goofy:

• Like 2

The recall states VIN numbers with seven consecutive digits... Bartho's VIN doesn't have seven consecutive numbers... only six: JH2SC63B8CK200172... and a buddy's VFR1200F over here in Spain also only has six consecutive numbers... like Bartho's it has letters mixed in.

The recall states VIN numbers with seven consecutive digits... Bartho's VIN doesn't have seven consecutive numbers... only six: JH2SC63B8CK200172... and a buddy's VFR1200F over here in Spain also only has six consecutive numbers... like Bartho's it has letters mixed in.

The numbers quoted in the OP are engine numbers. Not VIN / Frame numbers. HTH.

• Member Contributer

Wow what's it like to own a very low volume bike ? Honda just inadvertently told us how poor sales have been.

"(Total 2) (Two models)

(Scope of the entire production life cycle)

3/2/2010-9/2/2015 (1852 bikes)"

That's 1852 bikes sold in 5 years ! Or approx 370 per year, I assume that's world wide ! That's the kind of numbers sold in the UK at the moment for most major bikes in the 600-1000cc size range ! That's very poor numbers. Must be why the RCV213S costs so much to recoup losses ! :(

• Like 1

• Member Contributer

Not sure where to find my engine number, but I went to the Honda powersports recall check and it shows 0 recalls pending when I search by model and when I search by my VIN...

http://powersports.honda.com/recalls.aspx

Here's a link to check for yourself.

- Dan

Mine failed over 2 years ago and cost me $2000 in repair cost, I wish the recall came out earlier.

Well now H have agreed there's a problem I'b asking for some compensation

and a consultancy fee because you were effectively employed by HONDA to be a

3dd06e881258493ab7f3c32231bb13df.700x456

:goofy:

That's Cute. I'm too lazy to ask for compensation from Honda Korea. VFR 1200 hasn't been part of Honda lineup since 2012 here in Korea, not selling at all here. It seems Honda (at least in Asia) is focusing on fuel efficient machine such as NC700 and a host of scooters. ST1300 is essentially the same machine since 2002 and Goldwing just getting small upgrades. I guess my next bike will be FJR1300, just look at how other Japanese companies are building motorcycle that catches enthusiast eyes & minds.

My VFR doesn't owe me anything I have 185,000 KM and if the shaft fails again I might ask for compensation.

Called my dealer, I'm in that recall. Crap.

Any idea on how critical this is? My bike was hit hard when I was parked outside a base, repaired when I was on Active Duty, and now I'm being told to not ride it because I could lock up and get hurt. My wife has the car and all I have is my bike lol. I'm in a bad situation if this is a big issue.

Edited by Artfulkatana

• Member Contributer

What does the recall say? You being in the US I reckon there must be a statement on that for liability reasons.

If Honda says Donot Ride then ask for a loan bike...

I stopped in today at my local dealer and as soon as the shop manager seen me he said we got a recall on your bike just got it yesterday. He said I should get a letter in the mail. He also said as far as he knew right now the recall was on all year models.

• Member Contributer

I stopped in today at my local dealer and as soon as the shop manager seen me he said we got a recall on your bike just got it yesterday. He said I should get a letter in the mail. He also said as far as he knew right now the recall was on all year models.

Did he mention when they would have the parts needed for the repair? My VFR is not going anywhere near a shop until they have the parts on hand.

A few heads should roll at Honda because of this problem with the drives haft on what was one of Honda ' s flagship bikes.......

You'd think they would have gotten it right after producing so many shaft driven bikes for so many decades already. A very painful recall as Honda also had to convince VFR fans that shaft drive was the way to go with the 7th gen.....

A few heads should roll at Honda because of this problem with the driveshaft on what was one of Honda ' s flagship bikes.......

You'd think they would have gotten it right after producing so many shaft driven bikes for so many decades already. A very painful recall as Honda also had to convince VFR fans that shaft drive was the way to go with the 7th gen.....

• Member Contributer

A few heads should roll at Honda because of this problem with the drives haft on what was one of Honda ' s flagship bikes.......

You'd think they would have gotten it right after producing so many shaft driven bikes for so many decades already. A very painful recall as Honda also had to convince VFR fans that shaft drive was the way to go with the 7th gen.....A few heads should roll at Honda because of this problem with the driveshaft on what was one of Honda ' s flagship bikes.......

It's not really a big deal presumably. Drop your bike off, they fix it and, you take it home. Good for them for taking action.

The thought of a VFR1200 stop sell order in the US is pretty comical.

Did he mention when they would have the parts needed for the repair? My VFR is not going anywhere near a shop until they have the parts on hand.

Should have parts sometime in January is what I was told.