2014 Honda Vfr 800 Quick Shifter

Stephen57

Hi Everyone,

In the fall of this year I purchased a white 2014 Honda VFR 800. It was a brand new leftover. I've only had a chance to ride it 70kms but I already know it will be one of my favourite bikes (been riding 22 years). I have a few questions concerning the OEM Honda quick shifter. This is my first time joining a forum and I'm not entirely sure this hasn't been asked and answered before here so please be gentle. I am considering buying the quick shifter. Can anyone help me with these questions?

- does the quick shifter change the location of the gear shift on the bike?

-does it change the way the transmission shifts with the clutch?

- are you glad you bought it?

Thanks for any help you can give me.

Edited by Stephen57

• Member Contributer

First, Welcome Aboard! I'm sure you'll find your first forum participation a pleasant one, this is one of the best forums on the web! As far as your question, I do not know the answer for sure, but my understanding is that it doesn't change the lever position.

• 4 weeks later...
  • Member Contributer

The lever is the same as any other bikes, just has a lump in it for the sensor.

Quick shifter allows clutch less up shifts, which is a better way than using the clutch, you get full power changes for acceleration or very smooth changes if cruising or caring a passenger !

I don't have a 2014 but do have QS on my 5th gen.

As an FYI if anyone wants QS on an bike, Healtech do a load sensor one that will work with 5/6th gen fixed gear levers ! I've not used it, but saw it at the bike show a couple of weeks back.

I added an OEM quick shifter to my 2014 after a few months with the stock shifter.

- does the quick shifter change the location of the gear shift on the bike?

Technically, no, but it isn't the same as the stock shifter...2 things are different. 1. the toe part is a different design and feels different on my toe. 2. The arm of the quick shifter is next to your foot, so you feel it against your boot. I don't like either of those things, but I've learned to live with it.

- does it change the way the transmission shifts with the clutch?

Not at all. It basically cuts power to the engine for a moment, when it senses pressure on the shifter, so if you're using the clutch, you don't notice it. It works best under full throttle for clutch-less upshifts.

- are you glad you bought it?

Even though I use it quite often, because I generally ride very hard and fast, I'm not entirely certain I could say I am "glad" that I bought it. I like the idea of a quick shifter, but wish it came from the factory and used the same mounting and design as the original.