2016 Kootenay Hootenanny - July 22-24, 2016 - Official Thread

superfunkomatic

• Member Contributer

Randy, would you please refresh my memory and tell if, by any chance, you know what the law says about carrying open alcoholic beverages in a vehicle in BC?? I think that some other provinces used to be touchy about it. Never knew about this one... I understand that the chances of anyone finding a bottle of open scotch at the bottom of my saddlebags are slim but I still wonder what the legal system has in mind.

Thanks,

C

• Member Contributer

Randy, would you please refresh my memory and tell if, by any chance, you know what the law says about carrying open alcoholic beverages in a vehicle in BC?? I think that some other provinces used to be touchy about it. Never knew about this one... I understand that the chances of anyone finding a bottle of open scotch at the bottom of my saddlebags are slim but I still wonder what the legal system has in mind.

Thanks,

C

Never mind, I found it:

Liquor in a container that has been opened or has a broken factory seal must not be readily accessible to anyone in a motor vehicle, including both the driver and passengers.

C

• Member Contributer

Thanks,

C

Never mind, I found it:

Liquor in a container that has been opened or has a broken factory seal must not be readily accessible to anyone in a motor vehicle, including both the driver and passengers.

C

Once you've opened you should drink it all. Problem solved. I'd help you drink it but I do not like scotch or any whiskey. Perhaps others will pitch in to help.

• Member Contributer

Basically the furthest point possible from the driver is the rule to follow. Bottom of you saddle bags would be about as far as one can go on a bike. Circumstances may dictate that the most inaccessible spot could be a back pack. In my day, we would seize alcohol be believed was being kept for an unlawful purpose. Typically that would be supplying to minors, or consuming in a public place. That is not a charge. It is a seizure and you have the right under the Liquor Control and Licensing Act of BC to make application to get that back. Usually for a case of beer or a bottle of swill, it is not worth the effort. But it is for the scotch I drink.

I seriously doubt that you would run into any difficulty this way even if police were to pull you over for whatever reason. Now of you were slugging it down while you were walking along the street, or carving up the corners, you just might run into some problems. Mine will likely be open unless I go out and buy a bottle especially for this event.

BTW. Any of you who use mix will not be sampling my scotch. A little ice is cool, nothing else. Mix should be used in Five Star Rye.

• Like 1

• Member Contributer

Got it. If I were slugging it down and carving corners, I would not make it more than one or two corners...

I don't expect any problem, was just wondering what the law had to say about it. It will be at the bottom of my saddlebags and very likely not emptied that night that is why I was asking.

Cheers,

C

• Member Contributer

Section 44(3)c)iv) & (v) in this act: Basically furthest point from driver

http://www.bclaws.ca/civix/document/id/complete/statreg/96267_01

I tried to copy and past the specific section from the act, but it copies the whole guddam act.

Edited by 34468Randy

• Member Contributer

Jeez my summer is ruined for riding. I'm going to have to bow out. No big tours this year.

Its not a big tour. Its a short jaunt. A tour starts with 4 days while a big tour min 1 week and grows from there to super tour and mega.toir. So I guess you are back on then? Sorry you can't make it.

• Member Contributer

Darn. Sorry you can't make it, fearless leader. We may have to resort to shadier characters, such as Superfunk to lead us... or worst, Randy!! ....

Please do let us know if we can do anything.

C

• Member Contributer

Darn. Sorry you can't make it, fearless leader. We may have to resort to shadier characters, such as Superfunk to lead us... or worst, Randy!! ....

C

I just don't know how to take this. Follow me and with the experiences you witness and partake in, your world will never be the same. I have kaleidoscope glasses to counteract the effects of experiences partaken in.

• Like 1

• Member Contributer

C

I just don't know how to take this. Follow me and with the experiences you witness and partake in, your world will never be the same. I have kaleidoscope glasses to counteract the effects of experiences partaken in.

Hahahahah. Was just teasing you.

C

So far we have 25 confirmed attendees! The weather has been pretty good here and I've already been out and riding to work and a few short jaunts (still snow in the mountains and cold).

I still haven't gotten my lazy ass in gear to do the t-shirts, but never fear they will rear their heads before the meet. If the weather remains this mild I may do a reconnaissance run to Nelson in late April or early May.

Still no sign of my new bike from Honda but I hear rumblings the Africa Twins are starting to arrive in the USA so we can be far off. My prediction is still May.

• Member Contributer

So far we have 25 confirmed attendees! The weather has been pretty good here and I've already been out and riding to work and a few short jaunts (still snow in the mountains and cold).

I still haven't gotten my lazy ass in gear to do the t-shirts, but never fear they will rear their heads before the meet. If the weather remains this mild I may do a reconnaissance run to Nelson in late April or early May.

Still no sign of my new bike from Honda but I hear rumblings the Africa Twins are starting to arrive in the USA so we can be far off. My prediction is still May.

It's raining today in Kaslo but it's been nice the last few days. Yesterday we put up the tennis nets and got out for a hit. That was good since I missed the last month of hockey due to a sprained knee. Pruned 4 apple tree- more to do still.

I haven't insured the bike yet but there are a few riders out there. I saw a Ducati Multistrada rider in town the other day but it's hard to look cool riding through downtown with your blinker on. And then I heard a pack of 3 sport bike riders take off on the highway just below my house.

BTW there's a local controversy about loud motorcycles with a petition circulating to have the RCMP enforce existing noise laws. Which won't be a problem with the Hootenanny because we're all riding on quiet, stock mufflers, right?

• Member Contributer

It's raining today in Kaslo but it's been nice the last few days. Yesterday we put up the tennis nets and got out for a hit. That was good since I missed the last month of hockey due to a sprained knee. Pruned 4 apple tree- more to do still.

I haven't insured the bike yet but there are a few riders out there. I saw a Ducati Multistrada rider in town the other day but it's hard to look cool riding through downtown with your blinker on. And then I heard a pack of 3 sport bike riders take off on the highway just below my house.

BTW there's a local controversy about loud motorcycles with a petition circulating to have the RCMP enforce existing noise laws. Which won't be a problem with the Hootenanny because we're all riding on quiet, stock mufflers, right?

Still can't believe how few gendarmes we saw on the last hootenanny, (with one exception) how has it been for them in the last couple of years?

Sent from my XT1058 using Tapatalk

• Member Contributer

I hope they don't catch on to the noise from the gear-driven cams. Not much a person can do about that.

• Like 1

• Member Contributer

I hope they don't catch on to the noise from the gear-driven cams. Not much a person can do about that.

You can always get a 6gen +..... Hehehhe

What?! And give up all that anoying-to-civilians noise?! Hehehe indeed.

Perfect riding weather of late, still a lot of sand/crap on the roads.

The noise controversy is more noise than the noise that the controversy purports to address. Pretty funny and typical Kootenay: don't confuse anyone with the facts because their minds are made up and the laws of physics don't apply here.

There are, in fact, no enforceable noise laws currently on the books for BC. The brain trust that wrote the statute years ago failed to include how to measure the limit (83dB for M/C or something like that), omitting such trivial details as RPM for the stated limit, distance and angle of measurement, etc. That's why the law has never been enforced and cannot be enforced at this time. A complete re-write of the law is required and not likely to happen as the guvamint recognizes a lose-lose situation when they see one so they mumble vague promises to clarify and discuss and then waits for it to go away.

However... on a ride lately I may have witnessed a side effect: although there is no way to crack down on noise the Arsey-Empee may be looking to get at us by cracking down on something they can enforce: speed. on a recent ride from Nelson to Kaslo with my buddy, both on our SuperDukes (he rode mine and that was it, he bought one. Do not ride a SD) we were... very naughty. Also saw more occifers in 2 hours than I usually see in a week.

We passed a group of cars just out of Ainsworth and there was a taxi therein. Pretty sure he called the cops about us because just short of Kaslo a fellow coming at us in a older dk blue Nissan Frontier who is forever my friend if I can find him is flashing us frantically. We throw out the anchors and he slows, as we pass he yells "roadblock". We pulled a u-turn and headed back immediately.

Passed 2 more Arsey-Empees on the way back, they gave us the huge stare but we were, serendipitously, in the middle of a bunch of cages and impossible for them to stop and turn on that road without causing major danger. We lucked out especially after the first cop on the return because after him we let loose again and were very lucky to be slowed when we ran into the second.

So I will keep you all in the loop, it is possible that there may be an increase in speed enforcement that requires some adjustment in behaviour. The cops and their bosses may have realized that noise laws are bogus even if properly written and enforceable because they're not something that follows out of province/country riders home. Speeding/racing/stunting violations most certainly do: near as I know all of North America now has reciprocal violation arrangements. Thanks to the power of IT.

Edited by BlackHole

• Member Contributer

Perfect riding weather of late, still a lot of sand/crap on the roads.

When do they typically start cleaning the roads out in your neck of the woods?

They've started weeks ago but it takes a while. Even after the sweeping there's still enough residue to make for some sliding. Really takes a few good rain events to finish the job and it looks like that might be coming along with a return to more seasonal (cooler) weather in the next few weeks.

• Member Contributer

With all this talk of kootenay Motorcycle Noise petition Not sure if this article was posted. Sounds to me like its just the same old NIMBY rhetoric.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-columbia/motorcycle-noise-petition-1.3436917