2016 Kootenay Hootenanny - July 22-24, 2016 - Official Thread

superfunkomatic

• Member Contributer
1 hour ago, jimbob said:

I am thinking of leaving my place in Coeur d'Alene on Thursday morning so as to ride.... somewhere....... and have fun riding Thursday the 21st and then Friday up to Nelson....  Maybe up in NE Washington?? Maybe up by Yaak Montana and Koocanusa??

If anybody is coming this way and the timing works let me know and maybe we get in a day or so of riding on the way up.. I could be talked into camping too....

Let me know if this might work...

PM sent

• Member Contributer
4 hours ago, superfunkomatic said:

I'd like to take a few days on the way home and maybe camp going back through Washington and Idaho. Maybe we can coordinate a group on the way home. 

I'm hoping to ride through Yoho, Jasper and Banff after but I'm planning on staying in the PNW for several more weeks.

• Member Contributer
9 hours ago, superfunkomatic said:

If you're looking for a guide, I'd be happy to volunteer. 

I'd very much appreciate your guidance SFOM.

I'm torn between heading west after the meet-up or going east to Banff area. If I got to Nelson Monday, 7/18, I'd have Tues. > Thurs to go do a quick run to Banff and back to Nelson. There is only one place I'd like to explore more than just ride through there: I've been wanting to visit the Burgess Shale area forever. Perhaps three days is not enough. If were to leave a few days earlier I might be able to satisfy my Banff objective and still go west after the meet. Then I may be able to hook up with the Calgary riders for the trip to Nelson. I'll think about that. Hard.

Looking forward to this With Wild Anticipation.

Terry 

• Member Contributer
1 minute ago, Polarbear said:

Sounds like you have solved it!!

C

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

For now. Seems my mind is as reluctant to be made up as my bed. But it seems I can hardly miss with all the great alternatives available in your fabulous provinces. 

56 minutes ago, MaxSwell said:

I'd very much appreciate your guidance SFOM.

I'm torn between heading west after the meet-up or going east to Banff area. If I got to Nelson Monday, 7/18, I'd have Tues. > Thurs to go do a quick run to Banff and back to Nelson. There is only one place I'd like to explore more than just ride through there: I've been wanting to visit the Burgess Shale area forever. Perhaps three days is not enough. If were to leave a few days earlier I might be able to satisfy my Banff objective and still go west after the meet. Then I may be able to hook up with the Calgary riders for the trip to Nelson. I'll think about that. Hard.

Looking forward to this With Wild Anticipation.

Terry 

Well, keep me posted. I think you have to book well in advance for closed tours of the Burgess Shale, so you might want to enquire about that. I'd be happy to ride out to Nelson with you or show you around Lake Louise/Banff and up the Icefields Parkway to Jasper.

• Member Contributer
13 minutes ago, superfunkomatic said:

Well, keep me posted. I think you have to book well in advance for closed tours of the Burgess Shale, so you might want to enquire about that. I'd be happy to ride out to Nelson with you or show you around Lake Louise/Banff and up the Icefields Parkway to Jasper.

That is very useful information. I was not aware of it's popularity. I plan on calling for info next week.

Thanks SFOM. I'd love to take you up on your offer.

I will keep you posted.

Less than a month to go. Whoop! 

On 6/24/2016 at 3:49 PM, MaxSwell said:

There is only one place I'd like to explore more than just ride through there: I've been wanting to visit the Burgess Shale area forever.

The fossils are in a marked protected area, must have a Guide to go in, ya book onto a tour.

They really are something to see, we spent some time in there when we did Mt Stephen (took 2 attempts),(took only Photos).

That was way back, but now there are multiple 24hr Surveillance Cameras broadcasting live to the Field Info Center.

They have Arrested and Charged many for Theft.

http://www.pc.gc.ca/eng/pn-np/bc/yoho/activ/burgess/visit/stephen.aspx

Was in Field Wednesday, was Trailer Camping/Mt Biking/Hiking in the Banff/Lk Louise area for the week, got outa there before the Long Weekend Insanity.

Its not an easy Hike,,.. Steep for about 45min to an Hour, and can be hard on the knees coming down.

You can climb anything in the Rockies and find Fossils.

But its High Season there now,,.. Traffic is Stupid, compounded by Construction. We'll go back there, but not till September.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, jimbob said:

In Fernie! We may roll toward Nelson on the way back to Coeur d'Alene on Monday..  anybody nearby?

I probably will miss you. I won't arrive until late in the afternoon or early evening. Taking the 'long way' there through gravel back roads. 

• Member Contributer
19 hours ago, VF1000Fe said:

The fossils are in a marked protected area, must have a Guide to go in, ya book onto a tour.

They really are something to see, we spent some time in there when we did Mt Stephen (took 2 attempts),(took only Photos).

That was way back, but now there are multiple 24hr Surveillance Cameras broadcasting live to the Field Info Center.

They have Arrested and Charged many for Theft.

http://www.pc.gc.ca/eng/pn-np/bc/yoho/activ/burgess/visit/stephen.aspx

Was in Field Wednesday, was Trailer Camping/Mt Biking/Hiking in the Banff/Lk Louise area for the week, got outa there before the Long Weekend Insanity.

Its not an easy Hike,,.. Steep for about 45min to an Hour, and can be hard on the knees coming down.

You can climb anything in the Rockies and find Fossils.

But its High Season there now,,.. Traffic is Stupid, compounded by Construction. We'll go back there, but not till September.

I checked the website and there is a two hour geo-talk for $20 that will satisfy my curiosity and fit my timetable. Thanks for the info.

I'm also really looking forward to being back in Banff / Jasper / Yoho.

Popping out to Nelson on Monday and Tuesday for the final details and organization, oh, and for a ride! Looking forward to seeing everyone in a few weeks.

Update (July 3, 2016) - added to main post as well

** Tentative Agenda - Posted July 3, 2016

Friday - Arrivals

• Snacks, Drinks and Beer for afternoon arrivals at the Dancing Bear Inn
  • Group Dinner at Mike's Pub - Hume Hotel - 422 Vernon St. - 7:30 pm

Saturday - Group Breakfast and Riding

• Group breakfast at the General Store Restaurant - front of Hume Hotel - 422 Vernon St. - 9:00 am (civilized start time)
  • Snacks, Drinks and Beer for those who arrive back at the Dancing Bear Inn early or take short rides
  • Group Dinner at The Royal Pub and Grill - 330 Baker Street - 7:30pm until 10:00pm - music (live musician - Bocephus King - blues, pop, rock) food paid for by your fees (regular menu)

** Just have to confirm with the owners that the bookings are still on. Talking to them in Nelson (July 4-5)

Also, I've picked a 9:00am start for breakfast to allow us all to get a civilized sleep and start in the morning. Most of the rides in the area are 4-6 hours (tops). So that'll give you plenty of time to eat, prepare and head out with a small group.

Also, I know for 'type A' organizers that everyone wants riding groups and leaders, etc. The last meet went really well with riders making their own groups of 4-6 people and choosing their own routes along with places to stop for lunch in Kaslo or New Denver, or some returning mid-afternoon back to Nelson and picking a spot. I like things to be less regimented and planned and give people time to go see what they'd like to see with like-minded individuals in their group. Plus, I spend the entire year as a teacher organizing field trips and groups and this is the one time I'd like to just let things be more organic and work themselves out. :beer:

I'll post some basic maps soon and bring printed copies for everyone.

Edited by superfunkomatic
updates and temporary itinerary
  • Like 1

• Member Contributer

SFOM, your plans sound great to me. I am slow to come to in the morning, so 9 o'clock sounds very civilized to me.

I cannot say how much I appreciate all you've put into getting this herd of squirrels all headed more or less in the same direction. I'd like to buy your first beverage when the opportunity presents itself.

Max 

• Like 1

All venues for meals are confirmed. 

Check the original post for details.

Mike's pub on night one - specials on Sierra Nevada beer (California beer? Weird!)

Breakfast buffet at Hume Hotel - morning two (9:00am). Good deal - $15 per person includes coffee, tea, juice and hash browns, eggs, sausage, bacon and fruit. Plus they are booking a private 'grande' room, which is really quite cool. 

Lunch on on the road with your roving gang of bikers. 

Dinner at at the Royal Grill. Food is covered by your prepayment. The food is really good. Wide menu of choices. Drinks are on y'all. Oh and I checked out the musician. He's good and plays a good mix of old time country, adult pop, rock and folk. For those who were here in 2008 - he's no Amazing McRory (which is good - haha). 

Should be fun!

• Like 1

• Member Contributer

I PM'd Superfunkomatice earlier.  As I grew up in the area, I'll be taking a casual ride route and welcome to have anyone who cares to come along.

There's apparently a great place for burgers in Salmo to stop at for lunch, with lots of potential side roads, unique vistas and picture pace.

See ya'll in a few weeks!

• Like 1

Hi all, I have recently had some employment changes and I am no longer able to make this event.  :mad:

I had booked both beds in a single (or was it double) room for the wife and I, but obviously, those will now be available.

• Member Contributer

Not sure if his music was his talent or the ability to brush (200 strokes) his hair between sets.

He will be missed.

• Like 4

• Member Contributer
On ‎7‎/‎3‎/‎2016 at 1:26 PM, superfunkomatic said:

Popping out to Nelson on Monday and Tuesday for the final details and organization, oh, and for a ride! Looking forward to seeing everyone in a few weeks.

Update (July 3, 2016) - added to main post as well

** Tentative Agenda - Posted July 3, 2016

Friday - Arrivals

• Snacks, Drinks and Beer for afternoon arrivals at the Dancing Bear Inn
  • Group Dinner at Mike's Pub - Hume Hotel - 422 Vernon St. - 7:30 pm

Saturday - Group Breakfast and Riding

• Group breakfast at the General Store Restaurant - front of Hume Hotel - 422 Vernon St. - 9:00 am (civilized start time)
  • Snacks, Drinks and Beer for those who arrive back at the Dancing Bear Inn early or take short rides
  • Group Dinner at The Royal Pub and Grill - 330 Baker Street - 7:30pm until 10:00pm - music (live musician - Bocephus King - blues, pop, rock) food paid for by your fees (regular menu)

** Just have to confirm with the owners that the bookings are still on. Talking to them in Nelson (July 4-5)

Also, I've picked a 9:00am start for breakfast to allow us all to get a civilized sleep and start in the morning. Most of the rides in the area are 4-6 hours (tops). So that'll give you plenty of time to eat, prepare and head out with a small group.

Also, I know for 'type A' organizers that everyone wants riding groups and leaders, etc. The last meet went really well with riders making their own groups of 4-6 people and choosing their own routes along with places to stop for lunch in Kaslo or New Denver, or some returning mid-afternoon back to Nelson and picking a spot. I like things to be less regimented and planned and give people time to go see what they'd like to see with like-minded individuals in their group. Plus, I spend the entire year as a teacher organizing field trips and groups and this is the one time I'd like to just let things be more organic and work themselves out. :beer:

I'll post some basic maps soon and bring printed copies for everyone.

Mike, great agenda ... looks perfect!

If you bring your dual sport, I have a nice backroad route to one of the last gravity fed gas pumps in western Canada... any grade of fuel available as long as you want premium :)

Nelson2011027.jpg

My old KLR in the photo - now on a Tiger 800 XC.  Was thinking about bringing my latest acquisition, but I think I will leave the beast at home :)

IMG_3338_zpson37qvxe.jpg

• Like 1