2016 Kootenay Hootenanny - July 22-24, 2016 - Official Thread

superfunkomatic

3 hours ago, didit said:

Just landed in Walla Walla.  Last time we have net access before Nelson.

Booked in Fri.at noon for new tires & breaks at Main Jet Honda in Nelson.

New owners at Service Creek and no more corn beef (bummer) but still worth the ride.

Chased by rain once or twice in the last 2 days, but looking like hot weather tomorrow on.  Perfect for the lake break.

See ya'll there!

Can't wait to see you Tony, we got a lot to catch up on, ride safely everybody!

• Like 1

• Member Contributer
39 minutes ago, choco said:

This is a much more complicated question than you may imagine, mainly because I am riding once again with one of my all time favorite riding partners, Jeff and he tends to study maps and finds alternative ways to go, but to answer your question, I generally like to head east through Republic and north from Kettle Falls, there's a side trip across the border just east. Also everyone should know there's a great spaghetti place in downtown Trail, the Collander. Try it for supper as they keep filling your plate and its very tasty food.

I still have to work tomorrow, but let us know what your thinking and perhaps we can hook up somewhere . . . .

You know, Choco...couldn't resist that one, I have heard about that place from another source also. Someday I will try to get there.

• Member Contributer

It just never ends. Just got home from a vacation from hell.  Problems with the trailer, the truck, tires on the trailer. Storms, rain, mud and all.  Over $1500.00 in repairs alone between the truck and trailer.

Pulled into the house here at home and opened the front door.  House smelled like a rendering plant. Refrigerator had stopped.  Probably the day after we left four weeks ago. Repair man came tonight.  Now we need a new fridge.  Big ass pile of mail on the table.  One was from Moose Jaw Police Service in Saskatchewan.  A fooken photo radar ticket. THREE HUNDRED AND SIXTY GUDDAM DOLLARS!

I was kinda happy about coming back home with a couple hundred cash still in my pocket but that is gone for sure now.  Good this this trip is pre-paid.  I need the ride to clear the Red River Gumbo from my head.

1 hour ago, 34468Randy said:

It just never ends. Just got home from a vacation from hell.  Problems with the trailer, the truck, tires on the trailer. Storms, rain, mud and all.  Over $1500.00 in repairs alone between the truck and trailer.

Pulled into the house here at home and opened the front door.  House smelled like a rendering plant. Refrigerator had stopped.  Probably the day after we left four weeks ago. Repair man came tonight.  Now we need a new fridge.  Big ass pile of mail on the table.  One was from Moose Jaw Police Service in Saskatchewan.  A fooken photo radar ticket. THREE HUNDRED AND SIXTY GUDDAM DOLLARS!

I was kinda happy about coming back home with a couple hundred cash still in my pocket but that is gone for sure now.  Good this this trip is pre-paid.  I need the ride to clear the Red River Gumbo from my head.

Sounds like a nice couple of days of riding is just what you need.

• Member Contributer
11 hours ago, jimbob said:

Choco, if you can let me know what you are thinking for a route on Friday from Tonasket on........ Jimbob

I hope to convince them to do  Chesaw and  skip part of 20.  that road kinda freaks me with 34468Randys past chats with the sheriff.

There are lots of great roads just south. Nespelem to Inchelium /Gifford  over Chewelah mnt. Hmm this is got me thinking....??   would have a mutiny if tried to drag them on those roads lol

If your going through Kettle falls maybe we could meet u there for lunch  a cool  brew pub in a old warehouse called northern ales just. 

• Member Contributer
9 hours ago, 34468Randy said:

Alright  you win ..you can have the top bunk

• Member Contributer
On 2016-07-17 at 4:20 PM, superfunkomatic said:

We're into the final week. Glad to see everyone is finding their way to the meet and finding groups to ride with. The itinerary is in the first post for meals and meeting times. We'll have some 'pops' and junk food on the patio for everyone whenever you arrive. I should be there around 2pm (early) just in case. If anyone gets stuck or needs any help please feel free to e-mail me (superfunkomatic(at)gmail.com) or text message me at (403)xxx(874)xxx(9254). My family is driving the car out so we could do emergency service if needed.

Have a safe trip, y'all. See ya on Friday!

mike

Hey Mike, What time are you planning on getting out of YYC? Looking through the posts, I haven't seen a Calgary group heading south?

Jeremy

• Member Contributer

Now that is commitment!!!!! OK so I guess I will not be leaving at 5 AM, or 200 Km of gravel............. Planning on leaving around 8. If anyone else is up for it, drop me a line.

• Like 1

Parking

A couple of notes for when you arrive on Friday. There's parking on the front driveway, behind the building, and as things fill up, directly in front of the hostel on the street. There's also a parking lot across the street that is the Best Western's but I haven't confirmed if they are okay with us parking bikes there (although I did a couple of weeks ago without incident - do so at your own risk, or, ask them for permission - they're right next door).

Check-in

Check in with us on the patio for your swag bag, name tag and have a brew or drink and food on the patio. I'll be there about 2pm - official check-in is 4pm so take your time arriving - no rush.

Room Assignments

Below is the list of folks and their rooms at the Dancing Bear hostel. Let me know if I've made any errors. You lucky buggers in the dorms have the whole place to yourselves. :)

Room Assignments – Kootenay Hootenanny – July 22-24, 2016

Rooms

First Name

Twin 1

Tracey

Twin 1

Paul

Twin 2

Kevin

Twin 2

Kevin

Twin 3

Jeff

Twin 3

Randall

Twin 4

Al

Twin 4

Al

Twin 5

Mark

Twin 5

Mark

Double 1

Mike

Double 1

Fiona

Double 1

Niko

Double 2

Rob

Double 2

Craig

Double 3

David

Double 3

Emily

Semi-Private 1

Gary

Semi-Private 1

Mike

Semi-Private 1

Ian

Semi-Private 1

Christian

Semi-Private 2

Derek

Semi-Private 2

Derek

Semi-Private 2

Tammy

Semi-Private 2

Tammy

Dorm (4 bunks)

James

Dorm

Mike T.

Dorm (4 bunks)

Terrence

Dorm

Phil

My soft bags are mostly packed, Jim will be here around 8 am and off we go, all good roads from Monroe all the way to Nelson. Hope I can sleep well tonight, like a kid going to Disneyland. Jeff call me, but we should be in Marblemount around 11:30 to 12. We'll gas up there and head on into Winthrop, park our bikes and head to the Old Red Schoolhouse for some Ruud Awakening, which won the Washington beer fest IPA a few years ago. Great place, new owners, apparently dedicated to preserving the original recipes.

• Like 1

• Member Contributer

The only one who ever called me Randall was my mom.  And only when she was really mad at me.  This was more often that I would like to admit.

• Member Contributer
13 hours ago, jfviffer said:

I hope to convince them to do  Chesaw and  skip part of 20.  that road kinda freaks me with 34468Randys past chats with the sheriff.

There are lots of great roads just south. Nespelem to Inchelium /Gifford  over Chewelah mnt. Hmm this is got me thinking....??   would have a mutiny if tried to drag them on those roads lol

If your going through Kettle falls maybe we could meet u there for lunch  a cool  brew pub in a old warehouse called northern ales just. 

Awe common!  He just wanted to check out the graphics.  We had a nice chat.

Now them guddam photo radar cameras of Saskatchewan...they are buggas.

4 minutes ago, 34468Randy said:

The only one who ever called me Randall was my mom.  And only when she was really mad at me.  This was more often that I would like to admit.

Dude, it's the name on your payment. I'm Michael but always use Mike (except family). Don't worry we'll call you Randy. ;)

• Like 1

• Member Contributer
29 minutes ago, superfunkomatic said:

Dude, it's the name on your payment. I'm Michael but always use Mike (except family). Don't worry we'll call you Randy. ;)

You should have seen the looks we got when the wife and I were travelling in the UK. I would get ahead of her and she would yell out quite loudly. "RANDY!" The tour guide would just whisper to her, "Madam....please!"

• Member Contributer
2 hours ago, choco said:

My soft bags are mostly packed, Jim will be here around 8 am and off we go, all good roads from Monroe all the way to Nelson. Hope I can sleep well tonight, like a kid going to Disneyland. Jeff call me, but we should be in Marblemount around 11:30 to 12. We'll gas up there and head on into Winthrop, park our bikes and head to the Old Red Schoolhouse for some Ruud Awakening, which won the Washington beer fest IPA a few years ago. Great place, new owners, apparently dedicated to preserving the original recipes.

See you in marblemount

• Member Contributer

Heading out this morning in just an hour or two.. I will be in the Kettle Falls / Northport area tonight, meeting up with didit there, then on up to roam around Koot Lake on Friday..  Looking forward to some fun nonsense in Nelson,

Safe travels to all..

JW

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, jimbob said:

Heading out this morning in just an hour or two.. I will be in the Kettle Falls / Northport area tonight, meeting up with didit there, then on up to roam around Koot Lake on Friday..  Looking forward to some fun nonsense in Nelson,

Safe travels to all..

JW

We'll have to check out routes home from Nelson, maybe you can excite me about some roads in Idaho? I'm bringing a map or two, or three . . .,

The Northport Brewery actually used to be in Northport, just a bit shy of the border north of Kettle Falls, pretty decent IPA, I must say.

Ask Tony about the beer bars in Seattle?

• Like 1

• Member Contributer

Just a heads up that there is road construction from the Slocan Valley (Hwy 6) junction for 15 km to Nelson. Half the road is grooved and it's alternating single lane with 20 minute closures.

So my plan is to meet you guys Saturday morning at the breakfast place. Sorry I will miss the Friday meet and greet but I will attend the Saturday dinner.

15 minutes ago, auggius said:

Just a heads up that there is road construction from the Slocan Valley (Hwy 6) junction for 15 km to Nelson. Half the road is grooved and it's alternating single lane with 20 minute closures.

So my plan is to meet you guys Saturday morning at the breakfast place. Sorry I will miss the Friday meet and greet but I will attend the Saturday dinner.

Sounds good. We'll see you Saturday.

After a brief email exchange with the funk-meister I'm in.. Sadly I'm currently VFR-less but from what I hear I won't be the only one so I'm in good company. Leaving Hillsboro around 0600 tomorrow should hit Nelson around 1400 ish

• Member Contributer

Off work in a little under an hour, headed home to pick up the bags then on to Nanaimo and ferry to North Van.  Hopefully I'll be catching the 5:20 ferry so arriving at Mike's in Squamish around 8:30 or so.  We're taking the Duffy lake road tomorrow morning :cheerleader:, Lilloet, Kamloops, then turning right at Monte creek down to Vernon and Fauquier.  Looking forward to seeing folks, almost time to play the "match the face to the name to the username" game.  I hope to do better this year.

See you soon.

• Like 2