2016 Kootenay Hootenanny - July 22-24, 2016 - Official Thread

superfunkomatic

• Member Contributer
39 minutes ago, superfunkomatic said:

Cbx1100? Turbo?

Bring your dually and we can form a group. Went to Sandon today. Really cool ghost town. VFRs could do it easily if it is dry. 

Yep - 1981 CBX 1000 (actually 1047 cc) non turbo with 56,000 original kms.  one owner and in great condition.  He had the dealer (Trev Deeley) install Ontario Moto Tech headers and exhaust when new, and the bike is loud and proud.  My neighbours are thrilled :goofy: it sounds amazing!

At the back of Sandon past the general store on the right is the trail up to Idaho Peak - a little gnarly climb with switchbacks,  but I have done it 3 times now with no issues.  The views at the top are breathtaking and worth the slog up the mountain.

• Like 2

• Member Contributer

This looks promising - 14 day weather forecast for Nelson.  Better bring sunscreen :happy:

Nelson 14day.jpg

• Like 1

• Member Contributer
Cbx1100? Turbo?

Bring your dually and we can form a group. Went to Sandon today. Really cool ghost town. VFRs could do it easily if it is dry. 

I would LOVE to go to a ghost town!!!

C

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Polarbear said:

I would LOVE to go to a ghost town!!!

C

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Maybe that can be one of the group rides. Still get to ride the Kaslo to New Denver stretch and it's only 12 km off the highway on a flat gravel road - easy peasy on a VFR if you take your time.

Dual Sport Riding

I'd love to do the Idaho Peak part (another 12 km) - couldn't manage it on the Varadero (too bumpy, bike too big, rider not skilled enough). There is also Buchanan Lookout which is a two-track (12km) journey to a fire lookout over the whole valley near Kaslo.

I will have a new riding 'tool' when I arrive. Alas, it is not the Africa Twin - still none available. But my new 'tool' might be better suited to these offroad treks. ;)

• Member Contributer

I haven't been to Idaho Peaks yet but I've been to the Buchanan Lookout a couple of times on my DR350. Here's a couple of teaser pics:

yqT8NlloHAGnQPnRmsWX6c2wzgBWKUfr5p0b1kDl

92XLJXVCaad4uDnFp1-Je2K4XaX25uLb8CHz7dxi

• Like 3

• Member Contributer

It is a beautiful part of BC - a few shots from the top of Idaho Peak from a few years ago, and a shot looking straight down on a 4 x 4 coming up the switchbacks.  Looking forward to exploring Buchanan Lookout.

IMG_0006.jpg

IMG_0012.jpg

IMG_0020.jpg

IMG_0036.jpg

• Like 1

• Member Contributer

Fabulous! I can hardly wait. I'm wondering how much snow on the peaks will be left by 7/22. 

• Member Contributer
3 minutes ago, MaxSwell said:

Fabulous! I can hardly wait. I'm wondering how much snow on the peaks will be left by 7/22. 

Probably similar to these photos, which were taken July 27th, 2014.

• Like 1

I have a small group meeting at my house in Squamish Thursday night for dinner and departing Friday morning to head up over the Duffy. Anyone interested in joining us are welcome to PM me.  

As always we have a no spooning and no axe-murderer rule. 

Mike Sz 

• Member Contributer
5 minutes ago, Squamishvfr said:

I have a small group meeting at my house in Squamish Thursday night for dinner and departing Friday morning to head up over the Duffy. Anyone interested in joining us are welcome to PM me.  

Mike Sz 

I suppose I could leave my axe at home.  Looking forward to it.

• Member Contributer
2 hours ago, Squamishvfr said:

Mike Sz 

I guess I'll have to eat my soup with a fork.

• Member Contributer

We will be in Osoyoos Friday morning. Headed up to Nelson if any others are in the area lets see if we can meet up.

We're still planning a route up there, Bizbat will be riding with me. I'm off Thursday so will probably head up over 20 and stay at Winthrop Friday and then follow Tonasket east to Kettle Falls and north from there. Derek and Tammy, are you thinking about heading south from Osoyoos Friday morning and possibly meeting us at Tonasket, or are you staying in Canada all the way?

If Miguel is reading this, perhaps you might be so kind as to insert the great video you made of us riding from New Denver to Kaslo the first Hootenanny. I love the music you put to it.

I volunteer to lead a pack of driveling Viffers around that loop again, but this year I'm going to visit the ghost town, just talked to some people from South Carolina who rode a rented Harley into the old ghost town and said it's an easy gravel road.

• Member Contributer
22 minutes ago, choco said:

We're still planning a route up there, Bizbat will be riding with me. I'm off Thursday so will probably head up over 20 and stay at Winthrop Friday and then follow Tonasket east to Kettle Falls and north from there.

CVVFR, jimbob & I are leaving from 16 miles E of Northport (Deep Lake) on Friday 10-11ish?  No real schedule.

Not sure of our exact route up, but most likely taking the 3 to the 3A, up from Creston to the DH1 and coming into Nelson from the NE.

Looking at arriving sometime in the late afternoon.

I have my cell with me, but no reception at the cabin.

We're heading out today for Yakima & Newport, so you can always call or email until Wed next week.

• Member Contributer

Choco, a route suggestion for you guys to stew on:

if you are coming from Winthrop... after you cross Loup Loup Pass head up the valley to Tonasket, then look for the little roads that go through Havillah, Chesaw, Toroda, Curlew, then toward Orient, that will be a hoot! very scenic, no traffic, not extremely fast though...........not much cell service once you leave the Okanogan Valley

Cheers!

• Member Contributer

Furfther to jimbob's suggestion, stay away from Aladdin Rd N of Colville as there is major road work until late September.

We'll be heading N via Kettlefalls to Northport.

We just got into Yakima.  Great day, nice weather, lots of PoPo and medium traffic.

• Member Contributer
15 hours ago, didit said:

We just got into Yakima.  Great day, nice weather, lots of PoPo and medium traffic.

Big Brats:tongue:...............have a good ride through OR

• Member Contributer

Now in Newport.  Long day.  Tried to find a new road but ended up graveled.  See Jeff, I try.

Cool here as expected. Enjoying a Dead Guy Ale.

• Like 3

• Member Contributer
46 minutes ago, didit said:

Now in Newport.  Long day.  Tried to find a new road but ended up graveled.  See Jeff, I try.

Tony, if you see Keith and Jalene please say hello from me!   I assume they are back from the trip to South America now???

• Member Contributer
58 minutes ago, didit said:

There is road construction 16 miles (27k) East of you on OR 20, that runs for about 5 miles (8k).  Delays may run up to about 20 mins.   Shouldn't be a big deal but always good to be expecting it.   More info here and here. 

• Like 1

On ‎7‎/‎14‎/‎2016 at 2:26 PM, Axel_7 said:

We will be in Osoyoos Friday morning. Headed up to Nelson if any others are in the area lets see if we can meet up.

Are you guys open to meeting our group riding up from Winthrop to Tonasket and heading east to Kettle Falls roads?