2016 Kootenay Hootenanny - July 22-24, 2016 - Official Thread

superfunkomatic

• Member Contributer
10 hours ago, Sparrow75 said:

Registered!  

I'll buy anyone a beer that brings their good ol'VF to the party! ;) Cheers!

Arman

Does that mean you'll be riding yours?  Is she roadworthy again?

30 minutes ago, Cageless-in-Seattle said:

Hey, not bad.  Thanks for the preview of my shirt. 

Kevin

What, that's not you Kevin?  The shirt is used now, you should get a discount. :) (emoticons still seem to be offline.)

• Member Contributer
On 5/3/2016 at 8:28 PM, Thumper 8 said:

Hey Mike et al, long time no see all my VFR friends!  Mike, thanks for the email a few months ago - sorry, I did not reply.

I think I may be able to get away and join you guys & gals - not sure yet on timing, but you may see a rather dirty Triumph Tiger 800XC in your mirrors :) 

I can always wear a shirt from previous meets... and the Hume or Adventurer will be fine for a last minute decision.  I think they still both serve cold beer!

Would be great to spill some beer, swap lies and catch up with old friends...

Tony.

It will be nice to see you again Tony!mirror.jpg

• Like 3

• Member Contributer
33 minutes ago, V-FORE said:

It will be nice to see you again Tony!mirror.jpg

LOL I love it... I think i saw you in my mirror a few times on the Oregon trail ride.

• Member Contributer
13 hours ago, Belfry said:

Does that mean you'll be riding yours?  Is she roadworthy again?

Hey neighbour!  Yes, roadworthy after with new tires and suspension tweaks. Are you B-lining for the Kootenays or taking scenic route?  I was thinking to do an overnighter, heading through Fraser Canyon, Hwy 8 to 5A, then across to Vernon, Nakusp and Nelson.

• Member Contributer
2 hours ago, Sparrow75 said:

Hey neighbour!  Yes, roadworthy after with new tires and suspension tweaks. Are you B-lining for the Kootenays or taking scenic route?  I was thinking to do an overnighter, heading through Fraser Canyon, Hwy 8 to 5A, then across to Vernon, Nakusp and Nelson.

Looking forward to seeing you again Sparrow.

Max

• Member Contributer

We'll be coming out of a few days in Newport, taking the attached route over 3 days.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1EmyuKqkCY79gtkq73PQIA4BGHNM&usp=sharing

open?id=1EmyuKqkCY79gtkq73PQIA4BGHNM&usp

Leaving Newport on the Monday, hotels booked in LaPine, OR for Mon, Walla Walla for Tue, then staying at a lake cabin Wed & Thur.

Will be casual riding the whole way, arriving in Nelson late Friday afternoon.

I just checked the link and seems some of our planned roads got changed?  Not sure if I did it correct on this new site format.

Anywho, still have time to edit.

On 5/3/2016 at 10:42 AM, Sparrow75 said:

Registered!  

I'll buy anyone a beer that brings their good ol'VF to the party! ;) Cheers!

Arman

I accept your Challenge.

Now we just need a VF500F and we'll have the Trifecta (or is it a Troika?,,. or the 3 Stooges?,,..)

• Like 1

• Member Contributer
11 hours ago, Sparrow75 said:

Hi Arman.  Glad to hear the VF is back in the game--though I like your new German freundin's big jugs. ;)

I haven't given much thought to the trip up to Nelson yet.  There are a couple of things pending this summer (visit from out-of-country friend, possible in-town move), that could affect my decision.  If I have to go quickly, I was thinking about joining up with 34468Randy's group in Chilliwack--if they'll have me.  Otherwise, I'll fly solo like last time.  If I can take a couple of extra days, I could be up for a more scenic route.

• Member Contributer
32 minutes ago, Belfry said:

Hi Arman.  Glad to hear the VF is back in the game--though I like your new German freundin's big jugs. ;)

I haven't given much thought to the trip up to Nelson yet.  There are a couple of things pending this summer (visit from out-of-country friend, possible in-town move), that could affect my decision.  If I have to go quickly, I was thinking about joining up with 34468Randy's group in Chilliwack--if they'll have me.  Otherwise, I'll fly solo like last time.  If I can take a couple of extra days, I could be up for a more scenic route.

Oh well.  I guess so.  We can have you tag along.  I will post up meeting place and time a week before hand.

• Like 1

• Member Contributer
15 hours ago, VF1000Fe said:

I accept your Challenge.

Now we just need a VF500F and we'll have the Trifecta (or 3 Stooges,,..)

Great!  That's sounds funner already! ("funner" is a real word, irregardless of what you may think)

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought there was a member possibly coming with a 500F...Funkysupermatic or something was his name? ;)

On 5/5/2016 at 10:42 AM, superfunkomatic said:

I'd love to ride my VF500. It's been sitting in my garage since 2004. I wish it ran because I'd love ride it again. Maybe at a future meet. 

So, you're gonna ride an Off-Species Bike instead?

Well, if your bikes is sittin, in the parking lot, all by itself, in the middle of the night,,..

(Apply Mafioso Accent:) "It would be a terrible shame, if someone were, to, um, accidentaly, Armoural your Seat, Foot Pegs and Grips,,.. I'm just sayin,,.."

11 hours ago, VF1000Fe said:

So, you're gonna ride an Off-Species Bike instead?

Well, if your bikes is sittin, in the parking lot, all by itself, in the middle of the night,,..

(Apply Mafioso Accent:) "It would be a terrible shame, if someone were, to, um, accidentaly, Armoural your Seat, Foot Pegs and Grips,,.. I'm just sayin,,.."

It'll certainly be off-species. Haha. You've taken the surprise out the armor all experience now. You'll have to get more creative. :)

• Member Contributer
On 2016-05-05 at 10:21 PM, 34468Randy said:

Oh well.  I guess so.  We can have you tag along.  I will post up meeting place and time a week before hand.

I think we were talking about taking 2 days to get there cause were old and slow.. we could do duffy- marble canyon  or hwy 8 stay in kamloops (alpine) then Lumby fauquier ? 

• Member Contributer

eht tahW ereht yad artxe eht no enilced ot evah ot gniog ma tub taht od ot ekil dluow I

• Like 1

• Member Contributer

I don't know what the fug happened there but I will try again.  I would like to do the extra day but will have to decline the Duffy Lake Road portion of the trip. If I had not already paid for this trip, I probably would not be going due to other things that have arrived on my scene. Besides, I am arriving back here from Winnipeg only a couple days before this trip so my time is also going to be in demand.

I will still post up for those who want to ride out the Friday.  Jeff.  I am older than you so I guess I am more stubborn or too senile to notice it is a long ride. OH! I forgot.  You now ride a guddam triumph.......

• Member Contributer

I was probably going to ride up on the german concrete mixer so i will have to stop every 10 mins. Retirement sounds to dam busy! ashame not to take the longer scenic rout

• Member Contributer
2 hours ago, jfviffer said:

I was probably going to ride up on the german concrete mixer so i will have to stop every 10 mins. Retirement sounds to dam busy! ashame not to take the longer scenic rout

I'm not quite sure just when we return home from our RV trip to Winnipeg so timing for an earlier departure will likely be an issue.  I can stretch the return by one day but July 26 is my anniversary.  If I miss this years, then last years would be my last.

• Member Contributer

Global did a remote from Nelson tonight and the motorcycle noise issue came up again:

http://globalnews.ca/video/2698949/motorcycle-controversy-rides-through-kootenays

Of course, (in the immortal words of the South Park writers), it's the fags who are causing all the problems:

I love South Park! That nails it, albeit in the most politically incorrect way possible. 

Motorcyclists do it to themselves. Loud mufflers are obnoxious, childish and unnecessary. I don't blame residents there or anywhere for ridiculous behaviors of 'those' types of motorcyclists. 

• Member Contributer
3 hours ago, superfunkomatic said:

I love South Park! That nails it, albeit in the most politically incorrect way possible. 

SP also provides a possible solution to the Nelson hippie problem:

• Member Contributer

Speaking of noise.  Three of us went out for a ride up the canyon past Boston Bar.  I waited to join them when they arrived in Agassiz.  While waiting there, probably a dozen screaming loud drifter cars drove by over a period of a few minutes.  Talk about noise. 

Then out in the canyon, we were fortunate enough to get stuck in the middle of a group of about 10 harleys.  Even with ear protection in, the noise from them was awful.  Then get a bunch of them idiots in a tunnel, well, that was down right defining. I think we will be fine so long as we don't race around like a bunch of teenagers who have OD'd on Spanish fly.

• Like 1

• Member Contributer

Too bad you have to wait till July for the Hootenanny. My friend and I (a VFR 2000 rider) did the loop from starting in Balfour, east side of the lake to Creston, Salmo, Castlegar, New Denver and Kaslo yesterday. Beautiful weather and little traffic. And what traffic we encountered magically parted or turned off as we came up to them. I don't have pics, but it happened!

• Like 1

Hey Superfunky, it looks like Jim aka Bizbat and I are now planning to attend. Are we too late to register at your Eventbright,  if so are there going to be some extra shirts?

• Like 2