2016 Kootenay Hootenanny - July 22-24, 2016 - Official Thread

superfunkomatic

• Member Contributer

Hummmm. I'm thinking. I've taken the trans-Canada hwy before on trips to Banff for camping. I recall vast prairie/grasslands/farm fields. Great for making time. Not so much for scenery. But then No. Dakota and E. Montana is no better. And Canada may be cooler. But I'm old and slow.

Still thinking.

Yah, it's pretty wide open and straight, very much like ND and MT ... your dollar will go further that's for sure.

It's OK ... I'm no spring chicken either, and if we can rjgti to come as well, he's not either! :)

Let me know either way ... we have lots of time to figure it out. I'll likely be doing a Black Hills trip in early June as well.

Sheat. I'm old enough to be your daddy....maybe...I don't think the savings you would realize traveling stateside will make a huge difference on a bike. The asphalt along the northern states is quite aggressive so your traction is great, but it is much harder on your rubber, so I think it would be an even trade off. If I were you, I would get off the TCH at Medicine Hat and take the Crowsnest through to Nelson. Unless of course, you intend on meeting up with Superfunc. Then again, he might agree to meet you down around Ft MacLeod.

This is gonna be great Hope rjgti can make it.

Sheat. I'm old enough to be your daddy....maybe...I don't think the savings you would realize traveling stateside will make a huge difference on a bike. The asphalt along the northern states is quite aggressive so your traction is great, but it is much harder on your rubber, so I think it would be an even trade off. If I were you, I would get off the TCH at Medicine Hat and take the Crowsnest through to Nelson. Unless of course, you intend on meeting up with Superfunc. Then again, he might agree to meet you down around Ft MacLeod.

You're not THAT old .... I think. ;)

My planned route is exactly as you've noted ... down to Lethbridge from Medicine Hat ... then Crowsnest to Nelson. Same route I take when snowboarding.

I'm still working on rjgti ... I think he needs to get a permission slip as well. :)

• Member Contributer

I think he needs to get a permission slip as well. :)

What's that!

• Member Contributer

I had not thought about the Loonie vs the greenback. And it would be great to have company.

Still thinking (ouch - it hurts).

• Member Contributer

Hummmm. I'm thinking. I've taken the trans-Canada hwy before on trips to Banff for camping. I recall vast prairie/grasslands/farm fields. Great for making time. Not so much for scenery. But then No. Dakota and E. Montana is no better. And Canada may be cooler. But I'm old and slow.

Still thinking.

Sheat. I'm old enough to be your daddy....maybe...

Maybe? I'm 66; if y0u're my daddy I'd be verry impressed that you're still riding a mc.

• Member Contributer

Cranks belong in an engine block. It takes a lot to piss me off so maybe I'm not that old. Heck, my brain still thinks I'm twenty-something (my body disagrees greatly though).

I think hanging around youngsters keeps me thinking I'm younger. I'm looking forward to hanging around you kids next summer. :)

Cranks belong in an engine block. It takes a lot to piss me off so maybe I'm not that old. Heck, my brain still thinks I'm twenty-something (my body disagrees greatly though).

I think hanging around youngsters keeps me thinking I'm younger. I'm looking forward to hanging around you kids next summer. :)

Hell yah!

At any rate - lots of time for you to make a decision on your route. :)

For those of you coming from 'Merica or across Canada these are good routes for scenery:

• Highway 1A from Calgary to Canmore, or cut off at Seebe on the 1X to Highway 40 through the Highwood Pass through to Longview. (I can't map this on google maps right now because the highway closes in the winter).
  • Highway 93 from Jasper to Banff or Canmore - Icefields Parkway
  • Calgary through Bragg Creek, Turner Valley/Black Diamond and out Highway 22 to the Crowsnest Pass (https://goo.gl/maps/e5kMkvw3M7F2)
  • Like 1

Thanks for the great suggestions!

I have friends in Creston and Fernie so I might take the Medicine Hat - Lethbridge - Nelson route down #3

That said, I also have friends in Calgary.

If I decide to overnight in and around the Calgary area (and I don't stay with friends in Calgary), what's a good campground with hot showers and firewood? I love camping by motorcycle - some of the best ways to meet cool / new people. :)

Edited by JNBarrett
  • Like 1

• Member Contributer

So many great names.... legends really. NOW I really need to make an effort to go. Think of all the things I could learn from those people. About riding, but also about life in general...

C

• Like 1

• Member Contributer

So many great names.... legends really. NOW I really need to make an effort to go. Think of all the things I could learn from those people. About riding, but also about life in general...

C

Another bonus: You also risk being exposed to some bad habits, thus enriching your life even further.

• Like 1

• Member Contributer

When we get closer to the date, I will try to arrange a group convoy of those from the Fraser Valley. Looks like we will be reasonably represented. Even the ride to Nelson from here is a nice ride. The Crowsnest Hwy (Hwy3) is a nice bike ride almost the whole way. Have to hustle my but back home right after though for my wedding anniversary. Someone would not be amused if I were out riding about then.

When we get closer to the date, I will try to arrange a group convoy of those from the Fraser Valley. Looks like we will be reasonably represented. Even the ride to Nelson from here is a nice ride. The Crowsnest Hwy (Hwy3) is a nice bike ride almost the whole way. Have to hustle my but back home right after though for my wedding anniversary. Someone would not be amused if I were out riding about then.

I'm willing to do the same by arranging a group convoy for those in Manitoba, Minnesota, North Dakota, and Saskatchewan or NW Ontario.

• Like 1

• Member Contributer

C

Another bonus: You also risk being exposed to some bad habits, thus enriching your life even further.

Hehehe. Looking forward to those...

• Like 1

I am in for the weekend as well. I would also like to join the group that you have coming from the coast Randy.

• Like 1

Thanks for all the input from the various members that showed interest in attending.

We have had two previous meets in Nelson, BC that have been a lot of fun and had excellent turn out (25-35 members). It's been a few years since the last meeting and time to head back out to Nelson for some riding, good conversation and hijinks (Gary).

Nelson, BC - heart of the interior of BC - several really fantastic ride routes in and around the town of Nelson, BC and through Washington state, Alberta and BC. Here's some information on the area from BC Tourism - Nelson, BC

Sadly I no longer own a VFR, An FZ-09 is now my ride. Am I still welcome to your rally? The last one I attended on my '02 V-Tech in 2011 IFIRC was a hoot.

• Member Contributer

No VFR. Back of the pak, second in food line, and bottom of beer jug. You're all cheat'n no good traitors.

And last in line to buy gas. But first, Non-VFers have to buy the first round of libations! :beer:

• Like 1

No VFR. Back of the pak, second in food line, and bottom of beer jug. You're all cheat'n no good traitors.

,,.. Last one off the Ferry,,.. Parks over in the Corner,,.. Lower Bunk,,.. Picks up the Tip,,.. Makes the next Pot of Coffee,,.. Takes the Group Picture,,..

2016 Nelson Kootenay Hootenanny Come for the Roads, Stay for the Granola,,..
  • Like 3

Okay. Just redid the math on this one. Doh! It's a lot cheaper than I thought. I forget that if we get 25-30 riders and we split costs, it actually works out to about $37.50 per night or $75.00 for your stay for the two nights. Now that is a deal. Event information and registration will be online this weekend.

• Like 2