CornerCarver

• Member Contributer

I have no interest in filming my journeys, but I do have an interest in the capture of the approaching accident I didn't know was coming. I wonder if the battery requirement is the same for recording all the time vs only recording if there is a rapid deceleration? It probably is the same but just wondered if battery life could be extended by not permanently recording the scene.

It is the emergency features of this kit that interests me and so it would need to be active for the whole of my journey, which could be 8 hours or more.

As JZH says, when it can do that on battery power alone, I'll buy one.

• Replies 346
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hey Ryan, thanks for joining us here at VFRD and chiming in on your product. :beer:

My avg. ride is 4-6 hrs of twisties now and longer as weather gets nicer and I have been updating all devices on the bike to get ride of all cables & wires attached to me. Wireless Scala headset, Garmin Bluetooth and H.A.R.D device for my V1 radar detector so the idea of Plugging back in is Not high on my list, but I am attracted to your system.

After reading the advertising " the Mohawk is a device that turns any helmet into a smart helmet. It's an action camera, communications system, navigation unit, and emergency response system all rolled into one - and it's available for pre-order for just $199." I assumed that this would include the headset in order to be a "communications system", but maybe I misunderstood.

Thanks again for coming to VFRD.

BR

Hey BR - thanks for the kind words! I was super busy yesterday so I didn't get a chance to chime in on the conversation, but I'm going to try and do that now.

The F7 headset is included in the communications perk ($99) as well as the full smart helmet kit perk ($349).

I imagine horror stories like the British drone company failure and the apparently soon to be/continuing horror story around the Skully helmet may have poisoned the well for some of us when it comes to this sort of thing.

We're right there with you on that. Unlike the founders of Skully, our entire team is comprised of experienced product guys who have brought products to market. This has helped us accurately project our timelines and costs, and gives us confidence that we will be able to deliver.

My main concerns were loss of intercom with my pillion when out of cell coverage, but that seems to have been addressed already but is it a seamless change or would you connect via BT direct to pillion regardless? Secondly is battery life; I ride ~1hr to and ~1hr from work each day so an overnight charge should cover that but when I'm out at the weekends with my wife & friends, it's 8hrs+ in the saddle and to me the whole point of wireless is that it's, well, wire-less.

So I'm not going to invest several hundred £/$ at this stage to get something that doesn't work for my needs and then have to fork out more cash later to upgrade when the battery life gets extended.

Sorry.

But best of luck with the development and when it's fully sorted, I shall probably be a customer.

This is great input, thanks! I have to ask, would a replaceable battery sway you?

My big thing is that they don't have a working model. I'll believe it when I see it. Too many of these crowdfunded startups go bust or deliver mediocre goods.

Would also mean I'd have to get a smartphone, and that's never going to happen.

The other interesting thing was that they are working with Flextronics. I did a good chunk of work for them a couple years ago. Wonder if they know anything about this.

Seriously? You guys are putting money down on something that doesn't even exist yet? Don't forget about that drone company that just went under with $3.5 million of kickstarter funds.

Hey guys - Ryan Shearman, founder of Fusar, checking in here to provide some clarity.

We do have numerous working units already, and all of our launch features are currently functional. We've gone through three generations of prototypes and will be receiving our first pre-production samples from our manufacturing partners close to the end of this year. Our team is comprised of experienced product developers with proven track records of delivering world class products.

If you're in the NYC area, we encourage your to come visit us at the International Motorcycle Show at the Javitz Center in NYC from December 11-13, 2015. We'll be demoing all weekend.

I'm a little disappointed in the short predicted battery life of just over two hours if i remember correctly. It can be wired for power, but that kind of beat the idea of wireless.

Good enough for track days though.

With only the basic features enabled, we've seen Mohawk run for over 4 hours on a single charge. Our headset will get up to 10 hours of use, and the remote controls get up to 1 year of use. Mohawk can be plugged in if your motorcycle/ATV/snowmobile has onboard power. This is the ideal configuration for full-day use.

You have to have cell coverage in order to "push to talk". Where I ride no cell coverage BUT I do like the blue tooth to smart phone app.

So you'd lose intercom with your pillion when outside cell coverage???

Yep .

No, our BT headset also supports direct peer-to-peer connectivity, so you do not lose connection when outside of cell coverage.

According to there web site .

Our cloud-based push-to-talk communication feature enables up to 12 users to chat walkie-talkie style, over any distance. You can use the FUSAR F7 Bluetooth headset or any 3rd party Bluetooth headset that syncs to iOS and Android devices

You have to have cell coverage in order to "push to talk". Where I ride no cell coverage BUT I do like the blue tooth to smart phone app.

So you'd lose intercom with your pillion when outside cell coverage???

Yep .

Ryan,

Does the F7 unit come with the packages or is it separate .

F7 unit links thru a smart phone correct ?

The F7 headset comes with the $99 communications package, as well as with the $349 smart helmet package. It links to our cloud-servers through your smartphone, OR links directly to another F7 in case you are outside of cell coverage. This takes a matter of seconds, and we're working hard to make it a completely seamless transition.

I have no interest in filming my journeys, but I do have an interest in the capture of the approaching accident I didn't know was coming. I wonder if the battery requirement is the same for recording all the time vs only recording if there is a rapid deceleration? It probably is the same but just wondered if battery life could be extended by not permanently recording the scene.

It is the emergency features of this kit that interests me and so it would need to be active for the whole of my journey, which could be 8 hours or more.

As JZH says, when it can do that on battery power alone, I'll buy one.

Disabling the black box feature is very effective at increasing the battery life. We've been extremely conservative on our published battery specs, but it's important to note that the Sena 10C battery is only 1700mAh and we're using a unit that's rated for 2400mAh.

Would a replaceable battery sway you?

You didn't ask me, but I will tell you that I carry two charged spares for my Sony Action Cam and would never consider any kind of recording unit that would not accept an affordable swappable spare battery. That is a deal maker/breaker on an item like this.

Two or three hours of battery life is a non issue if you can carry spares. But there's not a chance in hell I will run a cable to something attached to my helmet.

Edited to add: You deserve props for coming onto the forum to address these questions directly. I am pretty well known in my industry and would never post on a public forum on the topic- way too many mud wrestlers out there.

The F7 headset comes with the $99 communications package, as well as with the $349 smart helmet package. It links to our cloud-servers through your smartphone, OR links directly to another F7 in case you are outside of cell coverage. This takes a matter of seconds, and we're working hard to make it a completely seamless transition.

Thanks Ryan,

I think I did see the $299 smart pkg kit, but guessing those prices are gone now.

I decided not to spend another $99 for the F7 headset for an item i don't have yet and the fact that the Mohawk should sink with my current Scala Q2.

:beer:

• Member Contributer

Ryan, your kit offers 2 quite separate features; a communication facility and a recording one, which could be split into 2 (journey video & emergency actions).

My current kit (Sena SMH-10) offers me outstanding comms capability, pretty seamless and all-day capability. What I don't currently have but would like, is the ability to record the accident that I didn't know was coming (ie I don't want to record my whole ride just in case I have an accident) which your kit does very well and I really like the emergency services callout facility with geolocation. I know this kind of thing is available with apps such as Tasker but I have struggled to program that so i don't use it.

You mentioned disconnecting the black box but to me, this would be the essential capability your kit brings, so no, I don't want it disconnected just to give me longer-life comms (which I already have with the Sena).

Replaceable batteries are always preferable so you don't have to scrap the whole unit if the battery fails, but I wouldn't want to be stopping too often to replace one because it has run out of charge....Sod's Law says that the accident would occur just after the battery ran out of charge!

Sorry if any of this sounds negative, but you have an opening here to produce a seriously good piece of kit and are likely the first to bring it to market so I'm sure you want to get it right first time.

Anyway, JMHO.

I'm a little disappointed in the short predicted battery life of just over two hours if i remember correctly. It can be wired for power, but that kind of beat the idea of wireless.

Good enough for track days though.

With only the basic features enabled, we've seen Mohawk run for over 4 hours on a single charge. Our headset will get up to 10 hours of use, and the remote controls get up to 1 year of use. Mohawk can be plugged in if your motorcycle/ATV/snowmobile has onboard power. This is the ideal configuration for full-day use.

Hey Ryan, thanks for joining us here at VFRD and chiming in on your product. :beer:

My avg. ride is 4-6 hrs of twisties now and longer as weather gets nicer and I have been updating all devices on the bike to get ride of all cables & wires attached to me. Wireless Scala headset, Garmin Bluetooth and H.A.R.D device for my V1 radar detector so the idea of Plugging back in is Not high on my list, but I am attracted to your system.

After reading the advertising " the Mohawk is a device that turns any helmet into a smart helmet. It's an action camera, communications system, navigation unit, and emergency response system all rolled into one - and it's available for pre-order for just $199." I assumed that this would include the headset in order to be a "communications system", but maybe I misunderstood.

Thanks again for coming to VFRD.

BR

It's been a while since I've been on any car/motorcycle forum, but I used to be quite the regular on a few of them. Thanks for having me!

The $199 pricing did include the full kit, but that was just a limited time promotion. The full kit will retail for $549, but is still available on Indiegogo for $200 off MRSP, or $349. The kit includes Mohawk, a handlebar or wrist remote, and our F7 Bluetooth headset.

Regarding the battery life, we've decided to offer a small external battery that can be mounted directly to your helmet, behind Mohawk. It will have a small cable that plugs directly into the back of the Mohawk. This will be a small, aerodynamic, removable battery that you can use to extend the run-time of the system without needing any cables running up to your helmet. Our team is already working on the industrial design of the battery, and we should know what the power rating will be within the next 7-10 days. We think this is an elegant solution that preserves our waterproofing capabilities, while giving our users the ability to run the system all day long.

You didn't ask me, but I will tell you that I carry two charged spares for my Sony Action Cam and would never consider any kind of recording unit that would not accept an affordable swappable spare battery. That is a deal maker/breaker on an item like this.

Two or three hours of battery life is a non issue if you can carry spares. But there's not a chance in hell I will run a cable to something attached to my helmet.

Edited to add: You deserve props for coming onto the forum to address these questions directly. I am pretty well known in my industry and would never post on a public forum on the topic- way too many mud wrestlers out there.

Thanks for chiming in! This input has been great for our team. We struggled with the debate over whether the battery needed to be replaceable or not, and it appears the crowd has spoken :) As I mentioned above, we're pretty happy with the solution of using a small external battery that will mount to your helmet right behind Mohawk. You will be able to carry a few spares and extend the run-time as long as you need.

Ryan, your kit offers 2 quite separate features; a communication facility and a recording one, which could be split into 2 (journey video & emergency actions).

My current kit (Sena SMH-10) offers me outstanding comms capability, pretty seamless and all-day capability. What I don't currently have but would like, is the ability to record the accident that I didn't know was coming (ie I don't want to record my whole ride just in case I have an accident) which your kit does very well and I really like the emergency services callout facility with geolocation. I know this kind of thing is available with apps such as Tasker but I have struggled to program that so i don't use it.

You mentioned disconnecting the black box but to me, this would be the essential capability your kit brings, so no, I don't want it disconnected just to give me longer-life comms (which I already have with the Sena).

Replaceable batteries are always preferable so you don't have to scrap the whole unit if the battery fails, but I wouldn't want to be stopping too often to replace one because it has run out of charge....Sod's Law says that the accident would occur just after the battery ran out of charge!

Sorry if any of this sounds negative, but you have an opening here to produce a seriously good piece of kit and are likely the first to bring it to market so I'm sure you want to get it right first time.

Anyway, JMHO.

Didn't take any of it negatively - this is all great input! I agree that black box is a vital feature, and I know I will always have mine turned on. If you're happy with your Sena, you can still use it with our system. We'll just unlock some other features that it doesn't have out of the box, like our cloud-based comms.

What are your thoughts on the modular battery solution we're now proposing? If this is well received, we're definitely going to move forward with it.

• Member Contributer

Thanks for chiming in! This input has been great for our team. We struggled with the debate over whether the battery needed to be replaceable or not, and it appears the crowd has spoken :) As I mentioned above, we're pretty happy with the solution of using a small external battery that will mount to your helmet right behind Mohawk. You will be able to carry a few spares and extend the run-time as long as you need.

Anyway, JMHO.

Didn't take any of it negatively - this is all great input! I agree that black box is a vital feature, and I know I will always have mine turned on. If you're happy with your Sena, you can still use it with our system. We'll just unlock some other features that it doesn't have out of the box, like our cloud-based comms.

What are your thoughts on the modular battery solution we're now proposing? If this is well received, we're definitely going to move forward with it.

Would this clip-on battery be in addition to an internally mounted one or is it the sole source of power? How heavy is the combined unit? And what is the likely running time of the comms/emergency features with this setup?

Thanks for discussing this on the site.

• Member Contributer

Ryan,

I have a couple of thoughts on this but first want to clarify the discussion I had with Clayton Patton of FUSAR prior to initiating this thread, either I misunderstood Clayton or he misunderstood my intent. This thread was started with the goal of providing FUSAR smart helmet kits at a decreasing price if we hit certain milestones in multiples of 5 or 10 to allow the members of VFRD to access your various multiple purchase discounts ( 5 unit Wolfpack or 10 unit Dealer Pack) to drive down the cost of being an early adopter and supporting FUSAR financially prior to production start up.

Can you or Clayton please confirm that we can still aggregate our purchases for decreased cost?

Secondly, I like the idea of having a replaceable battery and would support that but am open to the external battery reserve as well. Would it potentially attach with the same GoPro style mount or would it be supported by the Mohawk mount?

Thanks, Keith

• Member Contributer

Ryan,

I have a couple of thoughts on this but first want to clarify the discussion I had with Clayton Patton of FUSAR prior to initiating this thread, either I misunderstood Clayton or he misunderstood my intent. This thread was started with the goal of providing FUSAR smart helmet kits at a decreasing price if we hit certain milestones in multiples of 5 or 10 to allow the members of VFRD to access your various multiple purchase discounts ( 5 unit Wolfpack or 10 unit Dealer Pack) to drive down the cost of being an early adopter and supporting FUSAR financially prior to production start up.

Can you or Clayton please confirm that we can still aggregate our purchases for decreased cost?

Secondly, I like the idea of having a replaceable battery and would support that but am open to the external battery reserve as well. Would it potentially attach with the same GoPro style mount or would it be supported by the Mohawk mount?

Thanks, Keith

I'm interested in both of these ideas... well, all three actually. Group buying discounts, replaceable battery, and an external "booster" battery to increase usable time between charges or battery change outs.

Anyway, JMHO.

Would this clip-on battery be in addition to an internally mounted one or is it the sole source of power? How heavy is the combined unit? And what is the likely running time of the comms/emergency features with this setup?

Thanks for discussing this on the site.

Yes, the clip-on would be in addition to the internal battery. We're still investigating different battery sizes, so I'll have to get back to you on the weight of the combined unit sometime in the next week or so. The likely run-time with every single feature enabled is at least 2.5 hours, but it's important to note that there aren't many use cases where you'll be using every single feature at the same time :)

Ryan,

Thanks, Keith

Yes, we're definitely going to aggregate the purchases! The easiest way to do it would be if you guys were to pool your money and have one person go through with the transaction, but we can handle individual payments also. Once we know how many are ordered, we'll process refunds to everyone for the difference in price.

The external battery is a lot more likely than a replaceable battery at this juncture. Our current concept is that it will mount directly to the helmet surface using either hook and loop or a quick-release clip similar to, but smaller than the GoPro mount.

It's been a while since I've been on any car/motorcycle forum, but I used to be quite the regular on a few of them. Thanks for having me!

The $199 pricing did include the full kit, but that was just a limited time promotion. The full kit will retail for $549, but is still available on Indiegogo for $200 off MRSP, or $349. The kit includes Mohawk, a handlebar or wrist remote, and our F7 Bluetooth headset.

Regarding the battery life, we've decided to offer a small external battery that can be mounted directly to your helmet, behind Mohawk. It will have a small cable that plugs directly into the back of the Mohawk. This will be a small, aerodynamic, removable battery that you can use to extend the run-time of the system without needing any cables running up to your helmet. Our team is already working on the industrial design of the battery, and we should know what the power rating will be within the next 7-10 days. We think this is an elegant solution that preserves our waterproofing capabilities, while giving our users the ability to run the system all day long.

OK then, I bought into that offering by putting down a $50 deposit towards the special full kit $199 offer before you guys went public and before that national parts distributor support came in ($199 pricing did include the full kit) so at time of production runs next year I should be receive the full kit w/F7. That is what I was looking for, but all that info & offerings disappeared after you went public.

Thanks Ryan

• Member Contributer

Ryan,

Thanks, Keith

Yes, we're definitely going to aggregate the purchases! The easiest way to do it would be if you guys were to pool your money and have one person go through with the transaction, but we can handle individual payments also. Once we know how many are ordered, we'll process refunds to everyone for the difference in price.

The external battery is a lot more likely than a replaceable battery at this juncture. Our current concept is that it will mount directly to the helmet surface using either hook and loop or a quick-release clip similar to, but smaller than the GoPro mount.

Am in for a group purchase.

OK then, I bought into that offering by putting down a $50 deposit towards the special full kit $199 offer before you guys went public and before that national parts distributor support came in ($199 pricing did include the full kit) so at time of production runs next year I should be receive the full kit w/F7. That is what I was looking for, but all that info & offerings disappeared after you went public.

Thanks Ryan

Hey BR - if you placed a $50 deposit to lock in the $199 promotional pricing, then you should have received an email with your own special checkout link. We couldn't list that offer on the Indiegogo page, otherwise it would have been available to the general public. Simply click the custom link we sent and it will take you straight to a custom contribution page. Once you pay the $149 balance, your order will be complete. If you need us to resend the link, shoot an email to sales@fusar.com and we'll send it over right away.

Ryan,

Thanks, Keith

Am in for a group purchase.

Sounds great! Perhaps we can keep a running tally?

In for group buy

1. adeyren

• Member Contributer

In for group buy

1. adeyren
  2. zeer0

Are we looking at the WolfPack or DealerPack Discounts?

What does a pillion need to have to communicate with the pilot... a whole complete kit or the $99 F7?

I didn't read the whole web page, sorry... when will they be available?

Personally, my participation in a group buy is predicated on the answers...

In for group buy

1. adeyren
  2. zeer0

What does a pillion need to have to communicate with the pilot... a whole complete kit or the $99 F7?

The applicable discount will be based on the total number of forum members that order. The $99 package is suitable for a pillion, a 2nd Mohawk is not required. The F7 headset and handlebar control are expected to ship in Q1 2016 and Mohawk is expected to ship in Q3.

Hope this helps!

• Member Contributer

In for group buy

1. adeyren
  2. zeer0
  3. Rush2112

The applicable discount will be based on the total number of forum members that order. The $99 package is suitable for a pillion, a 2nd Mohawk is not required. The F7 headset and handlebar control are expected to ship in Q1 2016 and Mohawk is expected to ship in Q3.

Hope this helps!

Alright, count me in... CaptainCarver has been keepin' an eye on you and BR, the cheap bastage, has bought in there must be something worth getting in front on.. I'm in.

Besides... I can't resist a good group buy! :goofy:

• Member Contributer

In for group buy

1. adeyren
  2. zeer0
  3. Rush2112

Hope this helps!

Alright, count me in... CaptainCarver has been keepin' an eye on you and BR, the cheap bastage, has bought in there must be something worth getting in front on.. I'm in.

Besides... I can't resist a good group buy! :goofy:

OK, I started our group buy off with a 5 Unit Wolfpack purchase (I actually purchased the Wolfpack before it went public and Clayton tells me that I am their first Wolfpack order) so we are working towards at least one dealer pack of ten.

So the group buy list looks like this:

In for group buy

Screen Name Status

1-5 CornerCarver - Keith PAID

6 adeyren

7 zeer0

8 Rush2112

Please copy and paste to add your name and indicate whether you completed the transaction through the link I provided to Indiegog on the first post of this thread.

the $299 option is sold out and will not let me select. how do join the group by?

For the group buy here I think you just put yourself on the list and pricing will be based on how many orders we get.

Black Friday deals thru Monday, get 2 Smart helmet kits for $524.

https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/fusar-mohawk-make-any-helmet-smart#/

the $299 option is sold out and will not let me select. how do join the group by?

For the group buy here I think you just put yourself on the list and pricing will be based on how many orders we get.

Black Friday deals thru Monday, get 2 Smart helmet kits for $524.

https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/fusar-mohawk-make-any-helmet-smart#/

This is correct. The Black Friday sale runs until midnight on Cyber Monday and is hands down the best deal we're going to extend.

Archived