Tyga Vfr800 Headers

Rush2112

• Member Contributer

As far as I know most after market mid pipes do not use the standard Honda cat to pipe gasket so the ID of the mid pipe, at the CAT/header end is 48.6/49.0mm somewhere in that range.

What Mohawk outlined, getting an exhaust shop to expand the mid pipe is all that would be needed I think.

When I made up my headers, I had the last section before the mid pipe joint reduced to suit my LeoVince's.

This small reduction is not going to make any difference on a road bike to performance.

The overall length of the tail pipe and cans will have a bigger influence on flow I'd expect.

Phil

• Replies 547
  • Created
  • Last Reply

For what its worth, when I merged my 6th gen two brothers slip on to the mid pipe on the two brothers full system mid pipe, the diameters were identical.

Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk

• 3 weeks later...

Sorry if this has been discussed, but in the original post, you say:

Headers with this configuration will fit VFR800s from 1998 to the current model year

Are you suuuure that's true? The 8th gen bikes have dual radiators (like the RC/NC bikes), and on the NC anyway the front headers hug the cylinders to make room for the lower rad+fan. I suspect 5th gen headers on an 8th gen would interfere with the radiator, and 8th gen headers on a stock 5th gen would interfere with the coolant cross hose.

I'm going to need to make some measurements on my dual-sided swingarm project, but I suspect I'll be in for a set, provided they can be modified.

If nobody's ever seen Tyga's exhaust stuff, btw, they're really nice. I've got a set on my NC and love them.

• Member Contributer

Headers with this configuration will fit VFR800s from 1998 to the current model year

Are you suuuure that's true? The 8th gen bikes have dual radiators (like the RC/NC bikes), and on the NC anyway the front headers hug the cylinders to make room for the lower rad+fan. I suspect 5th gen headers on an 8th gen would interfere with the radiator, and 8th gen headers on a stock 5th gen would interfere with the coolant cross hose.

I'm going to need to make some measurements on my dual-sided swingarm project, but I suspect I'll be in for a set, provided they can be modified.

If nobody's ever seen Tyga's exhaust stuff, btw, they're really nice. I've got a set on my NC and love them.

Peaking through the lower vent in the front lower fairing I guess it is possible that Honda trotted out a 15 year old main frame and engine design and then completely redesigned the exhaust to facilitate the more narrow profile of the side rads so we should measure to confirm.

The exhaust is definitely revised as it has some new tubing visible in the area behind the right rear set.

• Member Contributer

Peaking through the lower vent in the front lower fairing I guess it is possible that Honda trotted out a 15 year old main frame and engine design and then completely redesigned the exhaust to facilitate the more narrow profile of the side rads so we should measure to confirm.

The exhaust is definitely revised as it has some new tubing visible in the area behind the right rear set.

Good points... it will have to be investigated when Tyga is ready. I'm not sure how many 8th genners have signed on for the performance headers but we need to get the right info. The 8th gen headers are definitely a little different than the 6th gen in the back they merge before turning under the bike and the front appears to have the different bends you describe. Good catch, thanks.

• Member Contributer

Any idea when they will produce? I ask becouse I will be in Thailand ontil the 12 of feburary, it could be nice to bring it back to Denmark my self.

...in the back they merge before turning under the bike and the front appears to have the different bends you describe. Good catch, thanks.

Do you have any pictures of that rear merge? That's directly applicable to my own DSSA VFR project.

• Member Contributer

Good points... it will have to be investigated when Tyga is ready. I'm not sure how many 8th genners have signed on for the performance headers but we need to get the right info. The 8th gen headers are definitely a little different than the 6th gen in the back they merge before turning under the bike and the front appears to have the different bends you describe. Good catch, thanks.

Yeow - Tyga is a group of very talented artisan guys, but its almost looking like a CAD composite model would be very useful to come up with one design to fit all.. --- Or a 5th/6th bike and an 8th bike for test builds....

• Member Contributer

...in the back they merge before turning under the bike and the front appears to have the different bends you describe. Good catch, thanks.

Do you have any pictures of that rear merge? That's directly applicable to my own DSSA VFR project.

2014-Honda-VFR800F-Interceptor-Deluxe-st

Yeow - Tyga is a group of very talented artisan guys, but its almost looking like a CAD composite model would be very useful to come up with one design to fit all.. --- Or a 5th/6th bike and an 8th bike for test builds....

The current mock-up bike that was available is a 6th gen so this would fit the side mount radiator VFR800s. The 8th gens may need a different set of front primaries.

Wow, that 8th gen exhaust is intriguing. All prior generations merged each side of the engine (1+2, 3+4) in a 4-2-1 configuration. The new bike looks like it does (1+3, 2+4). It really does look to me like the 8th gen is going to need its own development cycle. Now if I could just convince my wife that my yellow bike has reached the end of its useful life...

• Member Contributer

Wow, that 8th gen exhaust is intriguing. All prior generations merged each side of the engine (1+2, 3+4) in a 4-2-1 configuration. The new bike looks like it does (1+3, 2+4). It really does look to me like the 8th gen is going to need its own development cycle. Now if I could just convince my wife that my yellow bike has reached the end of its useful life...

It's a 6th gen engine, the shorter rear primaries in combination with the long(er) front primaries spreads the torque curve out flatter with less of steep decline after peak torque output; the trade off is a lower peak HP. This set-up is less complicated, easier and cheaper to manufacture. I'm pretty confident their isn't any new Honda voodoo in the 8th gen engine and the previous generations merge configuration will produce the highest performance which is the purpose of the Tyga project. The rear primaries of the previous gens should work and the front primaries would need a few different bends.

Are any of the members who have confirmed to me their committed to buy purchasing them for an 8th gen? Please let me know. Thanks... Russ

• Member Contributer

It's a 6th gen engine, the shorter rear primaries in combination with the long(er) front primaries spreads the torque curve out flatter with less of steep decline after peak torque output; the trade off is a lower peak HP. This set-up is less complicated, easier and cheaper to manufacture. I'm pretty confident their isn't any new Honda voodoo in the 8th gen engine and the previous generations merge configuration will produce the highest performance which is the purpose of the Tyga project. The rear primaries of the previous gens should work and the front primaries would need a few different bends.

Are any of the members who have confirmed to me their committed to buy purchasing them for an 8th gen? Please let me know. Thanks... Russ

Good job Russ, finally going to see this come through. If they are sure that they will fit the 8th Gen I would be in for a set. Put me down on the list if that is the case.

Hi Russ,

Lisa and I are a couple of the members that are interested if they will fit an 8th Gen. Let us know what you figure out.

Thanks, Fred.

Yep, eigth gen on my side

• Member Contributer

With the Gen 8 exhaust and radiator situation, it is pretty much the same as what I've got with my modded RC45 exhaust system.

See below:

post-25941-0-11275900-1451286941.jpg

post-25941-0-07226800-1451286979.jpg

post-25941-0-14871700-1451287020.jpg

I am in the middle of using an lower NC30 radiator and fan assembly, modified to fit, as a third rad on my Gen 6.

Bought a brand new all welded one off FleaBay for $100.

I've had to remake the bottom hose and re-position the lower bends on the side radiators so as the bottom hose can run across the front of the headers, as can be seen from the photos.

I'm looking at replacing the bottom hose with the new radiator. Photos to follow.

• Member Contributer

With the Gen 8 exhaust and radiator situation, it is pretty much the same as what I've got with my modded RC45 exhaust system.

See below:

I am in the middle of using an lower NC30 radiator and fan assembly, modified to fit, as a third rad on my Gen 6.

Bought a brand new all welded one off FleaBay for $100.

I've had to remake the bottom hose and re-position the lower bends on the side radiators so as the bottom hose can run across the front of the headers, as can be seen from the photos.

I'm looking at replacing the bottom hose with the new radiator. Photos to follow.

Love your bike!

Are you having any overheating issues that require the third rad?

... or is it more of a preventive measure?

Archived