Tyga Vfr800 Headers

Rush2112

• Member Contributer

I heard from Tyga regarding building VFR800 headers to our agreed upon specs... Their response, "Yes, we are interested..."

A quick update to those tuning in late... I've been working on getting new VFR800 performance headers made for about 3+ years. in June 2014 I requested information from Two Brothers Racing (TBR) about the possibility of re-releasing the 5th gen performance headers. I received a response from Greg at TBR in July 2014 forwarding information from the CEO stating, "We can re-produce the VFR800 headers 1998-2001 with 100 pre-paid orders...." $800 for a full system, $600 for headers only, 12 weeks lead time after the 100 orders are paid. Not very promising. I contacted many manufacturers over the course of the next year and a half documented in this thread:

http://www.vfrdiscussion.com/forum/index.php/topic/78592-potential-re-release-of-two-brothers-racing-vfr800-headers/page-1

I gave them the following information, e.g. this letter to Staintune:

My fellow VFR800 enthusiasts and I are trying to find a place to get performance exhaust headers made for our beloved VFR800s. The earlier VFR800s engines are direct descendants of the cutting edge RC45 homologated race machine of the 90's and the 800's are capable of so much more performance. We contacted DimSport in Italy and they agreed to make plug & play wiring harnesses and develop ignition/fueling maps for our bikes to run the RapidBike EVO & Race modules and only required a minimum of 10 orders to start the work... we are up to 20 purchases and still counting!
We are looking to interest your company to (produce) performance exhaust system headers... catless race use only;). Granted, Motad & Delkavic produce stainless steel headers but they have the stock tubing diameters and don't offer the opportunity for performance increases.
Here's our key point... headers for any VFR800 will fit ALL the VFR800s! If someone will make these headers there are hundreds of thousands of bikes spanning 16 years of VFR800s that it will fit!!! People are interested; we have 26 people signed up and committed to buy and over 63,000 views on our group buy thread.
if you made the performance headers for the new 2015 VFR800 it would be for a current model not an older model... and it would fit all the VFR800s from 1998 to 2009 (2010 in some parts of the world!) + the new model years. You would already have 26 orders right off the start! That should more than cover the tooling costs. And headers with a stock discharge location would fit current slip on models so you would have a full system with parts already on the shelf!!! Add a center stand stop and O2 bungs to the headers and you would have a versatile system that would fit hundreds of thousands of bikes around the world.
Word would spread... the new 2014-15 VFR800 owners are already modifying their bikes and exhausts as we write... Don Guhl has developed ECU re-flashes for the VFR1200 and the 2006-2009 VFR800s, the new model will be next... adding 10-15 hp to this new bike will really wake it up and keep the people talking about it but it needs a proper exhaust to do that... "
It amazes us that no one makes performance headers for our VFR800s. I have the tubing specs and I could likely have a VFR800 brought to (you) for designing a jig or I could send a set of headers for your use.
Using 304 stainless steel the easiest and least expensive materials on my side of the pond is 18 gauge 1.5 (1 1/2) inch primary tubing leading into 18 gauge 1.63 (1 5/8) inch secondary that flows into 18 gauge 2.0 inch final collector. This gives a close ID (Inner Diameter) to the stock RC45 exhaust headers.
Primaries (ID) = 35 mm
Secondaries (ID) = 39 mm
Final Collector (ID) = 49 mm
If you can fabricate the headers with two oxygen sensor bungs and include a center stand stop like the later VFR800 headers and have a stock location for the discharge of the final collector then the headers will fit the widest number of model years with minimal modifications and would allow the use of auto-tuning fuel injection management. Headers with this configuration will fit VFR800s from 1998 to the current model year and bolt up to existing slip-ons (NOTE: additional research & work is needed, it appears 8th gen front primaries are routed different due to the front mount rads). These are the requested configuration details of the 25+ VFR800 owners I have lined up for these headers.
I'm sure you already know from a performance perspective, small convergent angle collectors (<15 degrees if possible) will provide the best flow and performance and would be desired if possible.
I look forward to hearing your thoughts on the project. Please let me know if you need any additional details. Thank you for your consideration and time...
No one was as enthusiastic about performance headers for the VFR800 as we were and there were no takers for building our headers...
Next, I offered to put up $6000 USD to Tyga and Staintune for 10 headers and they realized I am serious. During my conversations with Paul at Tyga he told me they wanted to wait until they expanded their exhaust manufacturing capabilities. My offer was well timed and they just received their new tubing bender. They wish to fine tune their process and get used to the new equipment before starting our complex headers. The Christmas holidays are approaching and they will start next year on the VFR800 header project!!!
Here is the email from Tyga:
Great to hear from you again. Yes, we are interested, especially if you are willing to help us carry some of the investment costs. It will definitely be a big factor in getting this project underway. Not only does it help with the investment but it hints that there must be a solid market if you are willing to invest so much in it.

We just got a new tube bender with all the bells and whistles and want to do a couple of less challenging jobs on it. After that, I think it would be a good project to do the VFR800 exhaust. I’ll source a bike locally, one way or the other. Frankly though, with Christmas just round the corner, it is going to be early next year at the earliest before we see any progress.

Anyway, let’s keep in touch.

Paul

Below are the first members in bold from our initial list that have re-committed personally to me for the first ten headers. Pricing currently will be $600 plus shipping; I'm not making a cent on this activity and this is all for the VFR800 community. Please confirm or remove your commitment by replying to this thread.

I may be able to increase the size of the initial order.Please reply with your commitment/removal and let me know if you will be able to have the funds available early next year to pull the trigger.

Thanks!

Russ

PS: This is for the Tyga Headers only at this time

• Rush2112 -
  • Rush2112 -
  • JDMBird -
  • CornerCarver -
  • CornerCarver -
  • jim v -
  • Wera803
  • FJ12Ryder
  • MBrane -
  • MBrane -
  • vfrcapn
  • RoadToed
  • L8Apex
  • dgordon
  • AWP34
  • Beesting
  • Mello Dude
  • jnyquist
  • artpongs
  • WackenSS -
  • RazorWing
  • Kenn
  • MadScientist -
  • HighSideNZ
  • HKSBR
  • sdouble (8th gen)
  • HRCCBR -
  • boOZZIE -
  • huntinggunns (8th gen)
  • jerritt
  • VFRRR -
  • smoke4ndmears (8th gen) -
  • Aimbot9000 -
  • JZH

From the first ten in the original thread I removed mspence82 because that user doesn't come up any more and aokman hasn't been active on the site for more than 6 months.

EDIT: Highlighted others after the first ten who have also committed to purchase

• Replies 547
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Member Contributer

Think you could convince them to whip up a Y pipe, down tube, and carbon fiber Remus / Leo Vince clone cans while you're at it?

• Member Contributer

Think you could convince them to whip up a Y pipe, down tube, and carbon fiber Remus / Leo Vince clone cans while you're at it?

Baby steps, Grasshopper...

• Member Contributer

Brilliant effort Rush. Rather than stick rigidly to your measurement which are effectively TBR's from the late 90's, might I suggest you allow Tyga to use their skills and dyno to hopefully make a better product.

I know they do work with Ti exhausts & assuming they can offer this option I'll keep an eye on your progress. If dyno results match expectations, then I'd be interested in a set in Ti.

Thanks for all the hard work, perseverance can pay off :)

PS remember what HighsideNZ discovered, the Vtec Camchain adjuster on rear head means the exhaust NEEDS to be made for a 6th gen, to be universal fit. And personally I think the 6th gen rear headers are better in that they are closer to equal length, as cyl#1 header is closest to the frame as they curve under the engine, with cyl#3 header being on the outside of the curve !

See pic, sorry doodle buddy, but Blue = cyl#1. Red = cyl#3
post-24524-0-47599300-1447921057.jpeg

• Member Contributer

Hey great work on your part Rush.

Hope it all come to fruition.

Yes as Mohawk outlined it would be best if they can use a 6th Gen as the donor/model bike, just so as the CCT is taken in to account.

Hey Rush.

If you are looking for one more committed party, count me in on just the headers.

Cheers

Phil

• Member Contributer

"Wow" Rush, you may have just single handedly turned the VFR800 back into a desirable classic for the mod enthusiasts.

GREAT JOB

• Member Contributer

Rush, just excellent news. I am absolutely still in. Just let us know when the hammer drops.

Many thanks for your efforts throughout all. Persistent and dedicated, thanks!!

Dave

• Member Contributer

Persistence does pay off.

Rush, when you're done with this project maybe you'd like to set your sites on getting the Toro charger back into production:)

• Member Contributer

I know they do work with Ti exhausts & assuming they can offer this option I'll keep an eye on your progress. If dyno results match expectations, then I'd be interested in a set in Ti.

Mmmmmm.... titanium.

Persistence does pay off.

Rush, when you're done with this project maybe you'd like to set your sites on getting the Toro charger back into production:)

Now you're threatening my license as well as my bank account.

• Member Contributer

Brilliant effort Rush. Rather than stick rigidly to your measurement which are effectively TBR's from the late 90's, might I suggest you allow Tyga to use their skills and dyno to hopefully make a better product.

Thanks for all the hard work, perseverance can pay off :)

PS remember what HighsideNZ discovered, the Vtec Camchain adjuster on rear head means the exhaust NEEDS to be made for a 6th gen, to be universal fit. And personally I think the 6th gen rear headers are better in that they are closer to equal length, as cyl#1 header is closest to the frame as they curve under the engine, with cyl#3 header being on the outside of the curve !

See pic, sorry doodle buddy, but Blue = cyl#1. Red = cyl#3

attachicon.gifimage.jpeg

Hey great work on your part Rush.

Hope it all come to fruition.

Yes as Mohawk outlined it would be best if they can use a 6th Gen as the donor/model bike, just so as the CCT is taken in to account.

Hey Rush.

If you are looking for one more committed party, count me in on just the headers.

Cheers

Phil

Hi Gentlemen,

I agree that the 6th gen has a better, albeit more complex layout. The bike I arranged to bring to their shop was a 6th gen... I don't know if Snowy is still available and willing after all this time to bring his bike in but I will work with Tyga to assist in any way I can and extend this constructive input to them for consideration in the project.

Thanks to both of you for your help and inspiration!

• Member Contributer

I do like Tyga's work.

I've bought a few items directly from them and their workmanship is top notch.

Here's hoping!

• Member Contributer

Thanks again Russ, I'm still in and the possibility (even the remote possibility) of a Ti header has my full attention. A stem to stern full Ti performance exhaust :cheerleader:

• Member Contributer

I do like Tyga's work.

I've bought a few items directly from them and their workmanship is top notch.

Here's hoping!

I agree completely! Tyga quality and workmanship is second to none and I can't be happier that it was Tyga that has finally agreed to make our headers!!!

Thanks again Russ, I'm still in and the possibility (even the remote possibility) of a Ti header has my full attention. A stem to stern full Ti performance exhaust :cheerleader:

+1!!!

Lets hope we get this option!

Sent fra min SM-N910F via Tapatalk

Archived