Any Interest In A 'veefr In The Highlands' (Cape Breton) Tour Summer 2016?

blackdot

• Member Contributer

I've ridden the Cabot a bunch of times, but its been a while so I'd be up for a return run. Good excuse to knock on the door of a buddy in New Brunswick and grab him for a ride. Only caveat is I work overseas and my schedule is never firm. But if I'm in Maine when and if it happens, I'll run up. I'm roughly 9 hours from Baddeck depending on the border crossing.

• 1 month later...
  • Member Contributer

That would be a sweet event/ride but probably too many darn Canadians up there!

Lol

Best to stay down here where us roughneck 'Mericans live, Kevin. They might make us into nice, decent human beings if we are up there for too long. Then where would we be?

Here's another teaser - arial photo...

11141169_10152848066398519_7108131704274

I'm not sure if I have the self control to responsibly ride something like this. Or the attention span. Or the time. Definitely on my bucket list. Any recommended bike rentals there?

Here's another teaser - arial photo...

11141169_10152848066398519_7108131704274

Looks like you only get one mistake and your out .

Looks more dramatic in the arial shot then I've ever noticed on the road. Here's a Street Map view.. taken about center of the about photo heading right-to-left, uphill.

https://www.google.ca/maps/@46.740746,-60.9147859,3a,75y,92.92h,97.77t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sq2EXi9h2X7OedErOjePNyQ!2e0!7i13312!8i6656!6m1!1e1

• Member Contributer

Return flight in August for me approx £400 mmm. Anyone got a spare bike?

Return flight in August for me approx £400 mmm. Anyone got a spare bike?

How's a 2006 Honda VTX1300R? You can use it and I'll even put you up. Only thing I'd ask is you return the favour. We could even swap about with my VFR.

Here's a photo of the bike taken at one of the California vineyards that we toured on our San Francisco-to-Nova Scotia trip in 2011.

FallMotorcycletrip311.jpg

What kind of weather would I be looking at in August?

Actually August and September are the two best months for riding the Cabot Trail, in my opinion. Last trip, for me, was the first week of August as seen in the picture on post #1. Temps were in the 70's F with a little coastal fog along the western coast with sunshine and mid-80's F on the eastern half of the loop.

• Member Contributer

That sounds great. I've never been to the New England states even, what can I look forward to as far as food?

That sounds great. I've never been to the New England states even, what can I look forward to as far as food?

Lots of great places to eat and lobster is always in season somewhere in Nova Scotia.

Here's a Trip Advisor write up on the Red Shoe Pub in Mabou Cape Breton, as an example.

https://www.tripadvisor.ca/Restaurant_Review-g499218-d1793132-Reviews-The_Red_Shoe_Pub-Mabou_Cape_Breton_Island_Nova_Scotia.html

• Member Contributer

Went end of July. Weather was great. One day of rain for the week, which was on the distillery tour. Would highly recommend the Skyline Trail, as it's an experience once you get to the top.

• Member Contributer

Wife was think of making an east coast trip this summer. Her brother and parents are looking at making the trip. Wonder what she would think if I loaded the bike on the trailer behind us...

Made my first trip in 07 few months after buying my VFR. I'd suggest a July or August trip weather would be better. And aways ride the by going up the east side and coming down the west. The signs point you up the west side first,so thier is less traffic going the other way.

100_0459.jpg

Archived