Vfr1200X Us Bound!

Africord

• Member Contributer

It's a great bike. Test rode one when it came out over here.

If it wasn't for the wire wheels & stupid square Ewan Wannabeee boxes, I'd probably have bought one.

• Member Contributer

I have been looking for the 1200 V4 in Adventure or ST form. Maybe I will make the trip up to Long Beach next month for the show.

Replace the Wing and 5th gen??????

• Member Contributer

Wish they'd bring the 800 over as well. Still, I would take the new Africa Twin over this one though.

• Member Contributer

It's a great bike. Test rode one when it came out over here.

If it wasn't for the wire wheels & stupid square Ewan Wannabeee boxes, I'd probably have bought one.

Form vs function...

Assuming the rider's destination is a bit more remote than the Starbucks in the next town over, wire spoke wheels (and the tube -type tires that will probably join then) are easier than tubeless gummy rubber on fancy-pants aluminium mags to service. Unless of course your plan is to rely on a SPOT tracker. Or you really intended for the authorities to give your sun-bleached bones to your next of kin. Hey, I don't judge. Search teams need to make money too. Yay for capitalism.

As for the boxes, I would like to mention that I dropped my 8th gen in the friggin' driveway at a stand-still and there are now hideous gouges in the plastic lid of one case. And no, the gouges will not buff out. LOL. That's not counting the case that got ripped clean off when a taxicab passenger opened a door in front of me. This is in contrast to when my friend low-sided her BMW 1200GS with its trademark box panniers at 25 MPH, hit the deck like a ton of bricks and slid a foot short of the truck parked at the curb, and looking at it now, you could hardly tell anything ever happened.

As always, Your Mileage May Vary. ;-)

• Member Contributer
This is in contrast to when my friend low-sided her BMW 1200GS with its trademark box panniers at 25 MPH, hit the deck like a ton of bricks and slid a foot short of the truck parked at the curb, and looking at it now, you could hardly tell anything ever happened.

Yep, but it still looks like a BMW 1200GS, and nothing will fix that my friend.

• Member Contributer

Yep, but it still looks like a BMW 1200GS, and nothing will fix that my friend.

LOL, to each their own...

PS, I saw mention elsewhere that the new bike will have a 550W alternator.

Is it safe to assume it uses the newer, improved design like the 8th gens?

I read the DCT shift pattern will now change when the bike senses you are riding uphill or downhill.

The US Honda page is calling it 3rd Gen DCT, so probably some differences.

I wish they had nixed the beak, but I could live with it. I won't be in the market when they come out, but if they go for fire sale prices like the 7th, 8th gens later on, then I could see this being my second VFR.

But if the Africa Twin is a winner I may have to go that route eventually. Be nice to have one with some real aftermarket support next time.

I really like the vfr1200x. It's been around a few years in other markets so there are accessories readily available. Love the idea of a big comfortable road burner with shaft drive. The tubeless spoke wheels are just the thing to ride through our rough decaying roads and these days I prefer the comfort of a larger bike with plenty of room for larger riders. Hope they have one at the Sacramento bike show.

post-17486-0-95049700-1446090701.jpg

It looks good, I want to see one with fender eliminator and slip on pipe. I would also like to see the "pearl black" paint up close.

• 4 weeks later...
  • Member Contributer

I have been looking for the 1200 V4 in Adventure or ST form. Maybe I will make the trip up to Long Beach next month for the show.

Replace the Wing and 5th gen??????

Anyone stateside kicked the tires on one of these yet?

I wish they had nixed the beak, but I could live with it. I won't be in the market when they come out, but if they go for fire sale prices like the 7th, 8th gens later on, then I could see this being my second VFR.

But if the Africa Twin is a winner I may have to go that route eventually. Be nice to have one with some real aftermarket support next time.

I find the 1200x intriguing ... I wonder if it could be sport-toury enough to replace my 6th gen, and off-roady enough to replace my DR650. Of course, after five and 12 years of ownership (respectively) I have those bikes tweaked to my specifications and a lot of accessories. Still, one, new bike with the latest tech that could do it all is tempting. I'm also really interested (like Macscuddle) to see the new Africa Twin, though I suspect that what it has in offroad capability over the 1200x, it gives up in on-road touring ability. But I suppose it's nice to have first-world problems ... :happy:

• Member Contributer

The on-road credentials of the 1200X are right up there with the F model....boundless torque and with wide bars & upright seating it's a very comfy ride too.

I'm not sure it has many (any?) off-road abilities...it just looks the part.

• Member Contributer

I'm not sure it has many (any?) off-road abilities...it just looks the part.

I'm sure one could put on 50/50 tires, an aluminum skidplate and engine guards and make it more off-road worthy, but a.) would you really want to drop it in the dirt; and, b.) would it be fun to stand up again fully loaded for touring and camping? I'm guessing the answer is 'no' to both. Mind you, people do it with the BMW R1200GS ...

• Member Contributer

What is the purpose of the beak? Is it just a styling cue to scream,"I'm an adventure bike" or does it serve an off road function?

• Member Contributer

Pretty sure the beak is cosmetic. Since I am an adventurous kindof guy...I sure would like to through a leg over one. Might be the ride to replace my vfr1200.

Great... then you could go in the dirt... I'll never keep up!

Although, maybe I should've put a beak on my Y2K... then when I slid in the gully I would've been "adventure" ridin'!

What is the purpose of the beak? Is it just a styling cue to scream,"I'm an adventure bike" or does it serve an off road function?

It's possible that besides the obvious styling cue, it may well provide some downforce on the front end out on the open road.

In fact, looking ot the overall front end design there's certainly some of that going on, and it's pretty much a given that Honda clocked up some hours in a wind tunnel.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Member Contributer

Still haven't seen anything to indicate it will be coming to Canada. Why are we being shortchanged? :mad:

It is coming to Canada according to Markham Honda but will be on an allocation basis so not all dealers will qualify. Dealer says he expects the VFR1200x will be at February Motorcycle show in Toronto if you want to throw a leg over.

• 1 month later...

They had one at the Calgary Motorcycle show last week. It's a great looking bike and versatile. I wouldn't think it would go much more than gravel road riding offroad, but for most that would be enough to open up a bunch of new places to ride.

For a sporty, toury, dually type of bike, I found the seat really narrow and short (front to back). I don't have that big of a butt. The seat is smaller than the one on the VFR (sixth gen) - or at least it felt that way.

I bet it would be great for all day touring, lots of grunt and comfy riding position. A good VFR replacement if you want a more upright riding position.

They had one at the Calgary Motorcycle show last week. It's a great looking bike and versatile. I wouldn't think it would go much more than gravel road riding offroad, but for most that would be enough to open up a bunch of new places to ride.

For a sporty, toury, dually type of bike, I found the seat really narrow and short (front to back). I don't have that big of a butt. The seat is smaller than the one on the VFR (sixth gen) - or at least it felt that way.

I bet it would be great for all day touring, lots of grunt and comfy riding position. A good VFR replacement if you want a more upright riding position.

You list an Africa Twin in your garage. Did you get one, or have it on order?

Archived