Stolen & Wrecked / Repair Or Replace?

TedJake

• Member Contributer

Mondays....Was working away when someone came in to my office parking garage, and coasted my bike down the ramp and down the sidewalk, where a pickup truck was awaiting. They took a rope and tied it to where the fork and handlbars meet. Shame on me for not locking my forks. Shame on them for not understanding asymmetrical thrust, as at the first intersection and in traffic, the truck took off, sending the handlebars left and the bike was dragged along the right side for some distance. Picking up the bike and seeing that it was no longer of value to them, they dropped it, cut the rope, jumped in the truck and left.

Long story short, if the bike is not totaled, she gets fixed and I'm back on the road. If they declare it totaled, I'm debating whether or not to just take the check and say goodbye & move on, shopping for a replacement, or do the salvage title route. Since it was a 0 mph wreck, it appears all the damage is cosmetic, with the possible exception being the right radiator. and the clutch cover.

Up until she was stolen, I was prepared to keep her until I rolled over 100k miles (she just crossed 30k the day before). Not being concerned with resale, I'm thinking I can replace the front, right, and rear plastic over the winter (hopefully with the help of the VFRD classifieds) and get on with my riding life.

When I think of all the things I've done since I bought this in 2012, it's sad that it should come to such an inauspicious end.

I'll update this thread on the legal and technical aspects as they develop, but would like to hear the usual pearls of wisdom from the collective wisdom that is VFRD - a site that I have not seen on any other model of bike.

TIA,

Ted

20151012 Damage.pdf

• Member Contributer

The dirtbags did a number on it all right. :mad: I'm still not quite clear on how they attempted to take it - were they towing it while one was riding it? I guess no one ever said that criminals were geniuses . . .

What about taking the insurance money and doing what VifferCrab did with the Auctmarts bodywork painted to order? You could customize the bike to your liking. His came out great!

• Member Contributer

I went purposely looking for a salvage title bike with the intend to modify, and have never regretted my decision. I am however a professional refinisher with heavy resources in the mechanical end. If your up to it , I say buy back and use the extra for farkles. :)

• Member Contributer

Yes - I'm told there was a guy on the bike and a guy in the truck. Was also told there is video and witnesses. Will happily post mugshots if they get 'em.

I was looking on ebay and there are a ton of injection molding fairing replacements. Anybody ever buy this? I don't expect my 12YO bike to be mint (especially the way I ride it), but I don't want to cheapen it at all.

• Member Contributer

Bad luck TedJake.

I managed to inflict very similar damage to my 5th gen a week back, with the help of oil spilled on the road.

I've ordered the replacement fairing parts from Auctmarts (same as VifferCrab) on Saturday, and currently have my fingers, toes and other appendages crossed that they will look OK. My VFR has 91000km and WAS mint, and like you I have no intention of selling anytime soon. I will be posting up my experiences with this supplier.

• Member Contributer

I do not know much about 6th Gens, but when I totaled my 4th gen & bought it back at 70k. I was able to put her back together for about $1,100.00. I received $2,051.73 after 500.00 deductible & buying the bike back. That was 5 years & 46k ago, I have never regretted it. Keep checking Ebay & Craigslist & you should be able to come up with all the parts you need.

• Member Contributer

You can build her stronger and faster. Cosmetic's can be restored. You know the bike. What you had done to it before and what has happened to it. Be an excellent opportunity to now take it to where you want it. :-) The damage is ugly, but it's like seeing a house that needs some work = see the potential. Whichever you decide is personal and completely understood.

Dave

• Member Contributer

Only question is are you sure that the damage is strictly cosmetic? The bike may have rear ended the truck or hit the pavement really hard in which case forks, bearings, frame and such may need replacement also. It would be a good idea to have the bike structurally evaluated before you invest in fairings that will be useless once these things reveal themselves.

• Member Contributer

"Since it was a 0 mph wreck, it appears all the damage is cosmetic"

How do you figure that was zero mph? ...... Just plain sucks either way. I'm with Switchblade and would find a way to start over.

I dunno man.... if it were me, I'd move on. Even if you end up on making a few bucks with the insurance company, is it really worth it? There could be issues down the road that manifest because of the way it was dragged, that don't exist today. Insurance is only going to pay you once, but you'd have to live with the possibility of future issues down the road.

If they total it, look at it as a fortuitous event that gives you a reason to go find a nice clean, no drama, no story bike.

• Member Contributer

Every post echoes all the voices in my head - ASSUMING all damage is cosmetic, I think I'm going to try to keep it for the reasons mentioned above. I talked to the shop giving the estimate over the weekend, and told them to check to be sure nothing got into the clutch, and how much stress the hit on the right side put on the radiator and anything else under the plastic. The previous owner hid the fact that the left side had taken a hit, which was causing the fan to not work well, that I had fixed.

I'm moving on with few regrets if there are any mechanical problems. I'm also kicking myself for having done the valve adju$tment about a year ago... :goofy:

Already found a few '07's I like, that are selling with the OEM hardbags although the wife REALLY likes the Italian red over the burgundy...

• Member Contributer

"Since it was a 0 mph wreck, it appears all the damage is cosmetic"

How do you figure that was zero mph? ...... Just plain sucks either way. I'm with Switchblade and would find a way to start over.

Well, nearly zero...it went over as the light turned green, so I'm thinking only the weight of the bike (guessing the rider bailed) is the main force of the damage, not like it hit a sign or wall with any momentum. The shop that's checking it out has had it apart several times for routine work, so I've asked them to tell me if anything is out of alignment - especially the radiator.

Police Report is ready to be picked up tomorrow, but the bike is the main thing.

• Member Contributer

No way is that zero mph. The degree of wear is very similar to my 60mph get off. Your bike had been dragged a fair way.

115a8cfb71f657a3cf9ade89a3918974.jpg

But aside from the rash, structurally your bike (and mine) should be fine. It hasn't run into or over anything. Just so long as the clutch didn't swallow anything.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Gotta hate thieves. :beatdeadhorse:

Personally I'd walk away if the ins totaled it, and let someone who wanted a project have it at auction.

Because, I just wanna ride. :tour:

• Member Contributer

well,TedJake

being a cycle tech myself. judging from your PDF, you have minimal damage.. the body work can be fixed and painted the the engine cover can be replaced .

in your shoes , i would remove the the exhaust and oil pan and triple check that no chunks of dirt or broken parts in the motor.. as well as check everything else out.

• Member Contributer

My insurance company said that my Suzuki SV650s was totaled when a van pulled out in front of me and I did a stoppie that turned into a crashie rather than T-bone the van. It had a busted gearshift arm, the steering was bent slightly and a few nasty cosmetic issues but I rode it home. The reason they said it was totaled was because the steering head stop hit the frame with enough force that it left a small dent. They said that because it had frame damage, it was beyond repair. Two weeks later, I saw it for sale in a local used bike showroom. And about five years after that I saw it for sale in a classified ad. I do believe that the insurance adjuster and bike shop had a sweet deal worked out. :unsure2:

• Member Contributer

My insurance company said that my Suzuki SV650s was totaled when a van pulled out in front of me and I did a stoppie that turned into a crashie rather than T-bone the van. It had a busted gearshift arm, the steering was bent slightly and a few nasty cosmetic issues but I rode it home. The reason they said it was totaled was because the steering head stop hit the frame with enough force that it left a small dent. They said that because it had frame damage, it was beyond repair. Two weeks later, I saw it for sale in a local used bike showroom. And about five years after that I saw it for sale in a classified ad. I do believe that the insurance adjuster and bike shop had a sweet deal worked out. :unsure2:

insurance companies sell the bikes/cars /boats/whatevers cheap to make SOME money back after paying you. most likely your bike was fixed ans sold with a salvage title.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Member Contributer

Well, to close out this thread, here's where things fell out...Terry's comments made me look closer at the actual damage, and think the cops waaay underestimated the distance it was dragged. The road is just under 2/10ths of a mile, and it might have gone most of that way on its side. The bike shop totaled it and then some - I think they just printed off a parts list with everything but wheels and the seat. The length of time it laid on its side leaking fluids, and after I pulled the side plastic off, I couldn't tell if the radiator was bent, but the screws holding the plastic on sure were. The fluids got into the connectors, so I decided to let her go. Insurance offered her back to me for $442, but I declined.

Because I had a couple of great trips with my brother to the Tail of the Dragon, he told me I should keep the damaged side panel that has one of my Dragon stickers on it, so I have a mini-Tree of Shame in my garage. Hope I don't start a trend. Maybe it'll remind me to not be a squid on future day trips.

With the money burning a hole in my wallet, the search is on in earnest. Already found a few on CL and Cycletrader within a day trip. Hated becoming a non-bike-owner, so we'll see how long the search goes. Keeping the search to 6th Gen, or possibly an '06-'08 Triumph Sprint. Looking forward to the future trips to the Dragon & elsewhere.

Thanks for letting me share this and solicit the usual great feedback - it helps.

Happy Halloween, all!

• Member Contributer

Thanks for the update. I'm sure you're sorry to see her go, but the end of one thing is also a door to a new beginning. Safe riding!

• Member Contributer

Well, the Dutchman's (Michiel) engine fired up ok!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=20QgDcYVbd8

The funny gurgling sound caused by lack of headers; with them on, she sounds "normal"

He's doing a few oil changes to rid the engine's inside of the mayonnaise..... :goofy:

post-8974-0-44548400-1446369067.jpg

• Member Contributer

Well, to close out this thread, here's where things fell out...Terry's comments made me look closer at the actual damage, and think the cops waaay underestimated the distance it was dragged. The road is just under 2/10ths of a mile, and it might have gone most of that way on its side. The bike shop totaled it and then some - I think they just printed off a parts list with everything but wheels and the seat. The length of time it laid on its side leaking fluids, and after I pulled the side plastic off, I couldn't tell if the radiator was bent, but the screws holding the plastic on sure were. The fluids got into the connectors, so I decided to let her go. Insurance offered her back to me for $442, but I declined.

Because I had a couple of great trips with my brother to the Tail of the Dragon, he told me I should keep the damaged side panel that has one of my Dragon stickers on it, so I have a mini-Tree of Shame in my garage. Hope I don't start a trend. Maybe it'll remind me to not be a squid on future day trips.

With the money burning a hole in my wallet, the search is on in earnest. Already found a few on CL and Cycletrader within a day trip. Hated becoming a non-bike-owner, so we'll see how long the search goes. Keeping the search to 6th Gen, or possibly an '06-'08 Triumph Sprint. Looking forward to the future trips to the Dragon & elsewhere.

Thanks for letting me share this and solicit the usual great feedback - it helps.

Happy Halloween, all!

If it's not too late, I'd be willing to buy it back from you for what you buy it back from the insurance company, plus some for your time. I have a truck and trailer and can met you wherever is convenient for you. Shoot me a PM if your open to this idea.

On a side note, I really don't like to hear of 6th gens being stolen in the KC area since that's where my bikes operates most of the time.

• Member Contributer

If the bike is over 6 years old, Ins. co. does not take the title away.

After I crashed during this years' T-Mack, I decided to make a claim - Been paying premiums for years figured it was fair enough to make my first claim.

Well, the ins. co totaled the bike and paid almost twice what I bought the bike for 5 years ago.

And then, they offered to sell it back to me for $650, which I agreed to.

But the most unexpected surprise was when I asked them about the title.

They said, that since the bike is over 6 years old, I get to keep the title - it stays clear.

Cost me all of $200 to make the bike "New" again.

I may be too late to this party, but I'd keep the bike if I were you.

Archived