New 8Th Generation Owner

I have been following the VFR forums for about 6 months (including Adventure Rider Road Warriors) and decided that the 8th gen bike looked pretty good to me. Test rode a VFR 750 back in 1998 when I was getting back into riding, but ended up with a BMW K75S (and a few more BMW's since).

Wanted to try something different and always thought the Honda V-4 bikes to be interesting (yes, I have read all the reasons inline 4's are better than V-4's). Came real close to buying an Aprilia Caponord TP, but after 3 test rides, concluded the heat management is terrible. I have not read every post, but I have yet to see anyone complain about heat issues on the VFR 800's. Seems like a good warm weather bike.

Looked at buying new and started out that way (preferred to find a low mileage used one) and came across a used 1,700 mile red deluxe in Maryland. Bought it and got to ride it back home to Kansas through the Virginia and West Virginia mountains.

This bike is kind of a replacement for my previously owned BMW R1100S. They have very similar performance numbers, the edge going to the VFR800.

I now have just over 3,200 miles on the bike and it seems like it is starting to loosen up and feels better each time I ride it.

• The looks. But I have liked the looks of all the generations. (I think the 1200 only looks odd in photos. When it is parked around other bikes, it looks more normal to me)
  • V-4 engine and sounds
  • Quality of fit and finish
  • Fun factor
  • I think handling, but I am a newbie with this bike, and still learning how to ride it efficiently.
  • Tank capacity and range.
  • Heated grips work great (5 adjustments!)
  • Most accurate speedometer on any bike I have ever owned

Modifications made so far or will in the future:

• Knight Design lowered footpegs
  • Will be wrapping the handgrips with grip puppies or something similar. The heated grips are way too hard for my hands and prefer a fatter grip.
  • Stock windshield is working Ok for me, as long as I am not on a long tour encountering a lot of rain.
  • Stock seat Ok for now, but may eventually replace.
  • Front suspension seems Ok, but I suspect I will eventually replace the rear with an Ohlin. Put Ohlins on the R1100S and it was so much better.
  • Will add a Bagster tank cover (and maybe a tank bag)
  • Akrapovic exhaust was added by previous owner. I would like to find an original exhaust as I like the looks of it, but have become used to the Akrapovic

Hoping Honda will consider these points in future models:

• This bike could really use cruise control. Sport touring many times requires some distance of steady state throttle, or to stay under a speed limit. Not really a fan of fly by wire throttle, but that is usually what it takes for cruise control. I own a late model water cooled BMW, and it has a very good implementation of cruise control.
  • Also, Honda should look at BMW's switch gear. Everything on my BMW is within thumbs reach. No reaching out into the dash to change functions. Some of the switches on the VFR look like an afterthought.
  • Honda can go back to the under seat exhaust system of earlier gens IMO. My R1100S had under seat exhaust which allowed for full luggage capacity for both bags, a full view of the rear wheel, and easier access to removal of the rear wheel.

Do not recommend the Bags Connection bag in my photo below for the VFR800. I bought it for a different bike a few years ago, but it does not fit my VFR as well as I would like. The rear turn signals cause the bag to be mounted too far forward and that puts it too close to the rider.

While it wraps nicely around the seat, it comes down too low and will rub on the painted side panels and scuff the paint. I tried putting a towel in between the bag and the bike, but that did not work very well.

(It is a well made piece of luggage and can hold a lot. If the bag had 1 inch less of a cut out for the seat, and the depth from front to back was maybe 2 inches narrower, it would work fine)

post-34081-0-43434400-1445134781.jpeg

Nice bike, hope you enjoy many trouble free miles. The stock seat does get better. I hated mine at first and I would be sore after about 200 miles. Now with 6,000 miles I just did back to back full days in the saddle, and I'm not sore at all. YMMV.

• Member Contributer

Very nice. For your mods, we have some members that make some very popular additions that you mentioned.

Peg lowering

http://www.vfrdiscussion.com/forum/index.php/topic/80155-peg-lowering-blocks-an-vfrd-exclusive-product/

I have a set and they increase my comfort notably.

For suspension, Jamie Daugherty can provide a custom tuned shock / fork setup for you - either send him yours or order a shock and fork kit (not sure about 8th gen availability yet - you would need to contact him).

http://www.daughertymotorsports.com/vfr800.html

http://www.vfrdiscussion.com/forum/index.php/topic/79125-daugherty-vs-penske-vs-ohlins/page-2?hl=+jamie%20+daugherty

IMHO, once you hear the bike with the stock exhaust, you'll be wanting to go back to the sound of the Akra or similar pretty quickly.

Keep us updated on your progress!

Cheers

• 4 weeks later...

Brought the new baby home today!

Traded in my '14 CBR650F for a nice, new, leftover 2014 VFR800 - for $7299 (at Pete's Cycle Co. in Baltimore)!

Couldn't believe the price, thought it was a mistake in the ad. A whopping $5k off of list price. Took it for a 100 mile shakedown cruise coming home from the dealer. First impressions:

- Does everything I hoped for (good, stable highway cruiser, good handling, good wind protection, good luggage carrying capability, wonderful V4 burble, "just right" size/weight/power for me)

- Reach to the bars is a bit long; have already ordered 1" risers

- Having to reach awkwardly to the dash panel to scroll thru the information displays is not ideal

- Clutch pull a bit stiff; not really a problem unless you are stuck in stop-and-go traffic (like I was coming home)

The original $12.5k list price was a bit steep (but actually fairly close to its main competition), but at $7300 an absolute steal. I can see keeping this one for a long time.

Any DC-area VFR riders out there?

Congrats on the new bike! Any thoughts on differences with the cbr650? I used to own one so am curious. Frank comments welcome :)

The CBR was nice - did what it was supposed to do, good on backroads and for commuting. On the highway it felt like the motor was straining and I was always getting blown around. Also not a lot of luggage carrying capability - felt overloaded with my camping gear. Seat was a bit too firm for me. The engine had a distinct flat spot around 3k rpm, while the VFR seems to have nearly flawless fueling and power delivery.

The VFR feels very planted and stable, even in gusty winds (like yesterday and today around here), but still handles nicely. The seating position on the VFR is actually a bit more aggressive, I plan on raising the bars a bit, will probably lower the footpegs a bit as well. Amazing how much attention the VFR attracts. I've already had several people come up to me and start talking about it. The CBR never got that kind of attention! I think Honda really nailed the styling with this one. The build quality and materials are also top notch.

Picture taken today at west Marshall exit (Rt. 647/719) off I-66:

gallery_34487_7707_99265.jpg

I agree about the attention it gets. Yesterday mine was parked next to a Duc, a brand new Indian Chief Vintage, and a Motto Guzzi, but when I came out of the store a group of riders were ogling my VFR. Once I got close, they had nothing but questions and complimentary things to say. Congrats on the new bike, BTW.

Archived