My Sebspeed Custom Clear Clutch Cover Experience

VifferCrab

I never got no decals with my cover.... :wacko:

But Crab, that is is one fine looking RWBlack looking motor! :beer:

Well, duh. I share pics of my *too hot for me* wife. That's why I get the stickers. ;)

I goofed something up. Clutch is slipping now under medium throttle.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Member Contributer

did you fit new clutch friction plates?

did you soak them in engine oil a few hours prior to fitting?

• Member Contributer

Like those decals. Sebs doing my clutch cover now. Hope he sends me some :smile2: :smile:

• Member Contributer

Ps if anybody over there or here wants a clutch cover i have one they can have free for the cost of the postage ($30) from UK to US. Its only damaged where Seb cuts away.

Did you install the plates in the exact same way they came out if not it will slip.

Hmmmmmmm

How would one tell the correct order they're supposed to be in. You know, in case someone broke into my garage and rearranged those plates when I was asleep. Because there's no way I'd do something like that. No way...

• Member Contributer

They have seated, clutch plates have seated to the friction plates . If you did not install back to there original setup it will slip.

Make the same mistake on a 93 . Had to replace with new clutch pack.

• Member Contributer

Ps if anybody over there or here wants a clutch cover i have one they can have free for the cost of the postage ($30) from UK to US. Its only damaged where Seb cuts away.

Clutch cover gone to member in Atlanta

• Member Contributer

Clutch cover gone to member in Atlanta

Your a good man !

bummer........ i have it posted up in the classifieds that i need one....

and viffercrab: looks so good! i got my rear sets and passenger brackets powdercoated black and it makes them just disappear.

and viffercrab: looks so good! i got my rear sets and passenger brackets powdercoated black and it makes them just disappear.

Thank ya, kindly. That's next on my list actually. That and I'm going to carbon fiber wrap the exposed frame... That'll be a winter project for sure.

Did you remember to install the outer clutch plate in the shallow slot in the clutch outer NOT aligned with the rest (page 339 of the manual download)

Taking it apart this afternoon to have a look-see, and see what's what. I'll check the manual.. .thanks for the head's up.

Thank ya, kindly. That's next on my list actually. That and I'm going to carbon fiber wrap the exposed frame... That'll be a winter project for sure.

ooooo. that should look awesome!

The time has come to spill the beans, and wear the dunce cap. I'm sharing this in hopes of helping a future dummy, from being super duper dumb, like me.

Couple things happened that I'm going to file away in the "you rushed this and didn't think it through" file.

Today, my pressure plate looks like this:

f7d24bb0b71a3cd2d07392c1f957b1c0.jpg

d4c27db796daf7bac9d272ed66ef11c3.jpg

Here's how we got there:

The day I sent me clutch cover and pressure to Seb, I cleaned off the old gasket from the block, and saw all of those pretty clutch discs just calling my name. A sane person would leave something they have no idea about alone, but the engineer in me just HAD to take em all out to see how shit works. Seemed simple enough. Clutch disc, backing plate, cutch disc, back plate, etc...

So, I took them all out, and using my vast Honda VFR 800 clutch assembly experience (none) I put them all back in, just like they came out. Or so I thought....

Fast forward a few weeks and a get my amazing looking cover and pressure plate back. Let's just slap this thing together and take it for a spin. You're like a pro now, eff the service manual, you remember reading 9 ft-lbs on the spring bolts, have at it....

Unfortunately, the only torque wrench I owned at the time, was a big boy, 50-250 ft-lb, so meh..... I'll hand snug them, then add a 1/4 turn. Seems legit.

Button it all up, add a few drops of fuel from my gas can I use for the lawn mower, fire it up, make sure nothing leaks or goes boom, and off I went. Clutch slipped bad with anything resembling medium throttle. I limped it to a gas station, filled it up since it was empty for the custom tank paint job, and limped it back home.

Initial thought was not enough torque on the pressure plate bolts. So, off to Sears I went, and purchased a shiny new torque wrench capable of 10 ft-lb minimum.

Figuring I can torque the nuts by just removing the window, I remove just that part. Decided to back all of the bolts back out, reinstall in star pattern again, with wrench set to 10 lbs. As member AllWeather mentioned above, the outer most plate needs to be inserted in the shallow grooves in the basket, not the deeper grooves like the rest of them. That too, was a very real possibility so with the window off, I'd pull the pressure plate, realign the last plate, and reinstall the bolts.

Lesson number 1 learned. The plate is a hair too big to be removed through the port hole.

Lesson #2 learned - when attempting to move the pressure plate at all through the window, the last clutch plate can (and did) mis align itself without you knowing it.

Having realized now, that inspection requires removal of the fairing and removal of the entire clutch cover again, I decided to just try retorqueing the bolts with my fancy new wrench. Ran them hand snug, then applied the torque wrench. I didn't get 1/4 turn before I heard that gut wrench pop. Please no! Let that be the spring compressing, something.... Anything but a crack.

So, off the cover came. My heart sank when I saw the pressure plate. Turns out, the last clutch disc was aligned with all of the rest, instead of one tooth off, into the shallow groove. Then fiddling with the pressure plate without removing the cover, most likely made it slip out of the basket. Tightening the pressure plate down on an uneven surface was my culprit. Boom. Disaster.

I already have another pressure plate overnighted to member Tomk1960, who did the amazing powder coat job originally. To his credit, he's agreed to give me a lightning fast turn around, and I should have it back this time next week.

So, anyone doing this, leave your damn clutch basket alone, or read page 339 of the manual to refresh your memory when reinstalling.

My pain, your gain. But whacha gonna do? Lesson learned. The bike looks outstanding and Sebastian and Tom have been beyond awesome helping me get through this.

Will update...

• Member Contributer

Here's how we got there:

It is a generous act to share one's mistakes. It's one of the ways we educate each other. Thanks for sharing.

• Member Contributer

Glory2Viffercrab for openly admitting he is wrong :beer:

What about some red lug nuts?

Do not know if they are specced for mc rear rims, but since you are modding.....

http://www.workwheelsusa.com/product.php?category=45&wheel=121

Glory2Viffercrab for openly admitting he is wrong :beer:

What about some red lug nuts?

Do not know if they are specced for mc rear rims, but since you are modding.....

http://www.workwheelsusa.com/product.php?category=45&wheel=121

Red lugs were on my list as sat there and looked at the bike every day I was waiting on the cover to come back. I actually wrote Tom, the powder coater, about matching my lug bolts to the pressure plate. Problem was, bike was sitting on it's side stand so I didn't have to drain the oil when doing the cover, so I didn't want to risk pulling the lug bolts off and having the bike put it's weight on the lugs, themselves. So, I added it to my 'winter list' along with a few other things. I haven't had time to actually scour the Interwebz looking for an anodized set..... so THANKS for that link. The honda car scene is chock full of kids that add things like this to their cars, so I just need to figure out what honda car, the VFR matches up with.

Anyone happen to know that off the top of their head?

That sure is a bummer on the cracked plate but at least it is a reasonably quick and not too expensive fix

I am really tempted to get one of these clutch covers done ........just got to find a job first or sell a kidney

Yeah, thanks for the condolences guys. Twas a nice big slice of humble pie, fo sho. I'm a confident wrench on a car, and one would think motorcycles are the same, just smaller. Truth is, I've come away from this entire build with a new found respect of the hourly rates of motorcycle mechanics.

The pressure plate wasn't expensive to replace, and I next day air'd one to Tom the very next morning. So all I've lost, is some of my man card, and the precious little riding time left this season. All I've wanted to do, is strut that shiny slut down main street for the last 2 months, and it's nobody's fault but my own, that it's going to be another week until I can.

Learned a lesson, and even with my new membership here, this forum has already provided me a wealth of knowledge. Done business with a few great folks here already, and I plan on sticking around. So, money and time well spent. Hopefully my threads have/will help some others in the future, to repay my debt.

Will update.

That sure is a bummer on the cracked plate but at least it is a reasonably quick and not too expensive fix

I am really tempted to get one of these clutch covers done ........just got to find a job first or sell a kidney

You should do it man. Christmas present to yourself. Sebastian's pricing isn't out of line, and when you see his work on your bike, you'll forget all about what you paid. Tom's powdercoat on the cover looks like it came from factory, you can tell he knows what he's doing. It's not an expensive endeavor and every time you look at it, you'll smile. I expect it'll be quite the conversation piece once I get mine back on the road....

Just do it. :)

Archived