My Sebspeed Custom Clear Clutch Cover Experience

VifferCrab

Many have been following my Chinese fairings build thread found here:

http://www.vfrdiscussion.com/forum/index.php/topic/81765-viffercrabs-chinese-fairings-build-thread/

But, that thread is a bit lengthy, and I've taken it off topic at times, but there's one part of it that I feel deserves it's own thread, just because of the awesome sauce of it. And that's this SebSpeed clear clutch window. Many of you are familiar with him, and his work, but I, being new to the VFR world was not. I'd actually never heard of such of a thing before in my life, but I've been out of the bike world for a few years now, focusing mainly on cars and family, so it's no wonder I was a bit out of touch on the cool things going on in the bike world.

During my hunt for ideas for my custom job on the fairings, somehow I fell upon a thread or two that showed the SebSpeed clear clutch cover. The very first one I saw, I knew I had to have it. It's so just damn cool, I don't care who you are, the cool factor is off the charts. My VFR was originally purchased as something to just get me back in the game, and had a little curb appeal to it. At no point, did I think it was going to morph into a full-on rebuild, but alas, he were are.

I sent Seb a PM on here, and he got back to me immediately with price, timeline and the confidence that he'd help me through uninstall and reinstall of the cover. I'm a confident wrench on a car, but I'd never as much have even take a fairing off on a bike before in my entire life. After doing the full faring swap, adding exhaust, and a couple other low skill mods, I felt like with his help, we could do this.

He literally gave me a play by play on how to take the cover off, take the pressure plate off, and reinstall when I get it back. I can't tell you how many messages we've exchanged. Let's just say it's a lot. I know he's getting sick of me, but to his credit, he's never let on to that, and has been nothing but helpful. More than helpful if I'm being honest. He's been holding my hand through this whole thing. Means a lot to someone like me...

The day (night) came where I was going to attempt to take the cover off. Not really having the exact tool needed for the final step (a rubber mallet), I was ready to give up for the evening. He took the time away from his family to exchange how-to pics, and exact instructions on how to get it off, using less than optimal tools. He taught me a trick on how to use a 2.5 sledge and a Playboy magazine. Well, it ended up being a kids Skylanders magazine, but let's just say Playboy to make it interesting. Sure enough, did exactly what he said and BOOM, cover is off. Pressure plate is a piece of cake, not much instruction needed there.

So, in a box it went, and he was even nice enough to offer to have it and my pressure plate sent of to powder for me, instead of me having to do it on my time. Again, means a lot to someone like me...

Some of these pics are in my build thread, but let's put em here too, for when that thread slows down and is relegated to page 15 from the home page, never to be seen again:

12143143_10205340406330784_3812356659077

IMG_4191_zpswmxcvivg.jpg

A22EFDC6-C278-49F5-997D-C7340E25B8FE_zps

And here's the replacement gasket you need for the cover...

post-33389-0-81185200-1445009082.jpg

post-33389-0-36634100-1445009100.jpg

And a few short days later, he sends me this picture.... Look at that work! He's a skilled dude, for sure.

DB6F43F5-ECCA-4BE3-B1E7-E0BD5A773621_zps

So now, it's off to powder coat, and then back to me.

Can't stress enough how awesome he's been from start to this point. A true pro, very patient with me, and even offering his personal opinion when asked, about color and finish.

Will update...

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Seb is awesome!!!!

But after this teaser I will be awaiting pics of the final product...

Yup. So far, he's been nothing short of outstanding. I can't wait myself, to see how it looks...

While you have the fairings off, check you stator connector (three yellow wires) for any discoloration due to heat. Clean and burnish contacts.

I took a peek when I first got the bike at the big fuse and wires near the battery. That looked good, plus I put a multi meter on the battery, and from what I remember reading at the time, all looked well. Bike has about 10K miles on it (2002), but I'll put eyes on that connector as suggested. Thanks....

• Member Contributer

I wholeheartedly agree. Sebspeed was tops when he did my cover. A ton of compliments since I have had it installed. Top notch work and a great overall person to deal with.

• Member Contributer

Seb is indeed a fantastic guy to deal with and he was very helpful with my cover removal and install as well. ALL HAIL SEB!!

post-25028-0-53617100-1445052079.jpeg

Looked so cool, even the Porsche was jealous. LOL

post-25028-0-45856300-1445052210.jpeg

• Member Contributer

I've never understood how this mod works -- probably because I don't really understand the details of the engine layout or how the clutch works. Normally, all these gears are swimming in motor oil, right? So you drain your motor oil and pop the right-side cover which you send off to Seb. He skillfully adds a little submarine port window made of what? Glass? And then you reinstall the modded cover and fill the case with motor oil. But then shouldn't greasy black oil immediately begin filming the window and obscuring all the pretty polished bits behind it?

• Member Contributer

Gorgeous. Love the polished pressure plate. I always have trouble with Porsche chassis codes... 997 GT3?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've never really understood them either but it sure was cool to drive. It drove fairly calm and sedately for a 500hp normally aspirated Porsche 911 but you had a sense that the beast behind the firewall was always waiting to be uncaged and let run. Sort of felt like walking a really large dog that always tugs a little at the leash because it just wants to run. LOL. My only complaint was that for a daily driver it would be hard to live with as the exhaust note once the tach swings north of 3000rpm is really loud, even at half throttle. Since it is a customers car I would never open her up, but I can only imagine how loud it would get near WOT. Sounded cool though.

Don't forget to post up some photos with the new cover installed. What color did you choose for the pressure plate??

• Member Contributer

Since having installed the SSCCC I've had many strangers walk up and comment on the cover. Lots of great conversations started by this modest farkle.

Highly recommend!

I've never understood how this mod works -- probably because I don't really understand the details of the engine layout or how the clutch works. Normally, all these gears are swimming in motor oil, right? So you drain your motor oil and pop the right-side cover which you send off to Seb. He skillfully adds a little submarine port window made of what? Glass? And then you reinstall the modded cover and fill the case with motor oil. But then shouldn't greasy black oil immediately begin filming the window and obscuring all the pretty polished bits behind it?

my thoughts exactly Rob... id like a little clarification on the workings of it also. and, yeah, what is the clear part made of?

Don't forget to post up some photos with the new cover installed. What color did you choose for the pressure plate??

According to Seb, it's Power Ranger sparkling red unicorn.

I have no clue, actually.

As for materials used, I'll leave that up to Seb.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Member Contributer

my thoughts exactly Rob... id like a little clarification on the workings of it also. and, yeah, what is the clear part made of?
The oil level when the bike is sitting upright on the center stand is about an inch below the level of the "Window" on the clutch cover. When the bike is leaned to the side in a corner would likely be the only time the window would be bathed in oil, but it drips off very quickly. I think, though not 100% positive, that the window is clear lexan plastic approx 1/8" thick. The outer ring presses the clear window against a rubber o-ring seal that is recessed into a groove in the ring that Sebspeed welds to the outside of the cover. Have not had a single issue with the cover leaking any oil, and it looks fantastic. As for the LED's, hmmmmm, now I may also have a winter project. RGB color changing LED's maybe, or perhaps even color changing with strobe effect. LOL

I didn't take pictures when I installed the lights. Take off the clutch cover with the window installed there is a lip you can glue the lights to I ran a bead of silicone (high temp oil res. silicone) on the lip placed the lights on the silicone so its not touching the window (enough room for everything to expand when hot) also I put silicone on the inside and out forcing it into the hole where the wire is coming out wait for it to cure and reinstall. As for the wires I connected them to a switch that aready controls other lights on the bike

• Member Contributer

This is not meant to be thread hijack, but thought I would add to the chorus signing Sebastian's praises. My VTEC was disassembled back in 2011 and I did not have the time, energy and some of the skills needed to put it all back together thanks to the birth of my daughter and her growing up.

I convinced Seb to take on this re-assembly and mods project and boy did he deliver. Trucked the bike and parts to him in August and I went and picked it up last weekend.

I did not see the value of the clear clutch cover mod, but he told me I should consider it and I'm sure glad I did.

Not only does he do good work and charge modestly, his attention to detail is the icing on the cake and you leave knowing that the job could not be done any better!

Unsure whether he has the time in his pretty full appointment book to attend to your project, but if you want someone capable to work on your bike and not the underpaid and barely trained monkey at most local bike dealerships, he's the guy to go to.

med_gallery_16000_7689_929909.jpg

med_gallery_16000_7689_333392.jpg

med_gallery_16000_7689_16752.jpg

Here is Sebastian himself....

01d37e6015c204a27e20c9c9629662525adab211f4

Archived