My Sebspeed Custom Clear Clutch Cover Experience

VifferCrab

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Member Contributer

The clear clutch cover on my Gen 5.5 is the pièce de résistance of my build! Thanks Seb

post-24302-0-30915900-1453756804.jpg

post-24302-0-85135200-1453756831.jpg

post-24302-0-32900300-1453756856.jpg

post-24302-0-58317600-1453756893.jpg

• 8 months later...
  • Member Contributer

This thread was instrumental for me deciding to install the Sebspeed clutch cover and those of you who followed the thread may remember that VifferCrab suffered a pressure plate casualty in the process.  A cracked pressure plate???  I should be so lucky.  Let me go on record and say that is mere child's play compared to my F-up.  VifferCrab I feel your pain and then some.

Like VifferCrab did, here are my lessons learned so that others can avoid a similar fate:

Lesson 1: Don't be in a hurry.

Lesson 2: If the starter gears come off when you are removing the original clutch cover (or removing Sebspeed's work of art because you forgot to put the guide pins in the first time you installed it), don't assume you know how they go back on.  Open up the service manual (section 20 for you 6th gen owners) and read the instructions.  That's why you bought/downloaded the service manual, isn't it? So you wouldn't F things up?

Lesson 3: Make sure you mate the clutch cover to the crankcase (no space between the two) before you even think about installing the bolts.  If you can't get the two to mate then something is amiss.  DO NOT THREAD AND ABSOLUTELY DO NOT TIGHTEN BOLTS UNTIL THE TWO PIECES ARE COMPLETELY MATED!!! (Yeah I'm screaming at you because a very bad thing could happen)

Almost forgot Lesson 4: Once you successfully install and fire up the bike and hear what sounds like an intermittent knock, it probably means that you didn't tighten the timing hole cover you dumbarse.

And that is all I'm going to say about that...

Here is the final product...still absolutely worth it!!!  Thanks Seb!!! And thanks Tomk1960 for the powdercoat work. 

IMG_0407[1].JPG

• Member Contributer

I don't think I saw it specifically addressed, but the reason the pressure plate isn't flush initially is because the clutch cylinder is pushing it out. There's a spring inside that pushes out the cylinder all the time. Only the clutch springs (once the bolts are properly tightened) pushes it back in at rest. Also the reason to strap a zip tie or something around the cylinder if it's off the bike for service. 

Archived