"done Enough"

PSJ

Hi all! Just wanted to share a pic of my '86 VF500F. I can consider it "done" as the one bit that I wanted to add - a single seat cowl - was recently sourced from Rob, of York, PA. (Thanks again Rob!).

My bike's not perfect, but it goes really well with my brother's 1986 GS550ES.

I picked it up used about 11 months ago; 14,000 miles. I replaced the brake lines, fixed a few little things (like a leaky clutch slave, replaced the horn, etc.), got a DMR rear shock and had them upgrade the front forks. Still want to replace the coolant lines and clutch hose, but those are minor. On a ride the other day with my brother (on his Suzuki) he marveled at my self-control - he said that it made him want to ride like a hooligan. I agree. Can't wait to put some miles on it!

Caption for second picture: "We're from the eighties and we're here to help".

I really appreciate the forum - it's great to have allies out there! Thanks all.

PS: Last irritating thing: intermittent tachometer - fortunately infrequent.

Oh - and of course, new tires.

post-30474-0-42809000-1444708284.jpg

post-30474-0-94421600-1444708315.jpg

• Member Contributer

So you're the one that bought that seat cowl!

Looks horrible on your bike.......

Would look much better on here.... :goofy:

P9269637_zpsus0xfbvg.jpg

• Member Contributer

Nice! You don't see many 86's modified for the seat cowl.

Did you spray it?

And, did you get the mounting hardware with your purchase?

Mike.

Thanks for the kind words! Dutchy, I'm afraid that you might be correct.

Mike - Rob included the mounting hardware, the black seat, and a key. I sourced a 1985 grab bar off eBay and ordered a backup key online. I didn't paint - that's the color it came. It's "close enough" - you have to look carefully to see the difference. And hey! You're just up the road from me! My brother (with the Suzuki) lives in Edmonds. Maybe we should meet up!

• Member Contributer

And hey! You're just up the road from me! My brother (with the Suzuki) lives in Edmonds. Maybe we should meet up!

You bet. I'm in the "Esperance" region of Edmonds, btw.

By "intermittent", do you mean completely unresponsive? Or erratic?

I have a tach you can install if you want to see if it is the unit itself. Would really like to get some measurements off of the lock bracket that attaches to the handle. Pretty sure I can modify a Honda scooter glove box latch that uses the exact same lock cylinder.

Also, Dutchy, I can check my cowl (85 version) for a part number, but I'm pretty sure it does not have one molded in. I used to have the 84 and 85 Hondaline Accessory Books that listed the whole kit part #s, but the last time I looked I couldn't locate them.

Mike.

Archived