Northern California Quick Trip

01ragtop

I am planning a quick trip up to Northern California. Since I only have four days, the plan is to put the bikes in the back of the truck, drive from San Diego to Williams, Ca. Where we will stay the night,unload the bikes, and head up to Red Bluffs to catch CA36 west toward the coast. We'll stay the night somewhere around Fortuna before heading south to Fort Bragg where we will head east on CA20 back to Williams; load the bikes, stay the night and head home.

Any must see areas, aside from the obvious Avenue of the Giants? Any must ride roads off this route that we should consider? We're riding less than 250 miles a day, but having been up in this area before, I know these are long 250 mile days, but we might have some time to explore if we know what to look for in advance.

• Member Contributer

Bump... Sounds like a good route. I have been on CA20 in a SUV and remember it would have been much more fun in a sports car or on a bike.

• Member Contributer

Plan for Heat from Williams-Red Bluff and about half way to Fortuna, then Cold/Foggy until you get to Willits on HWY 101, then Heat again until Williams.

Sounds like a good loop. I've done it several times.

Nice! For those of you who have been on the 36, is it as good as advertised? I read about this road a few years ago, and I'm finally going out of my way to ride it. I know I'm passing a lot of great roads to get there so I'm hoping it doesn't disappoint.

• Member Contributer

V-FORE's great pic is heading west out of Red Bluff, where the first section is fun, farmland, not a lot of elevation change, but a great warm-up. Around when you enter the Shasta-Trinity National Forest you gain elevation and steep drop-offs, the road tightens up and becomes much more remote. Pavement ranges from good to just OK. Great views!

As you get closer to Fortuna and 101, things tighten up again for a while, sometimes with no center line or shoulder, watch out for oncoming trucks.

Also, Rt. 1 south from Leggett to the coast is a great run through the woods.

I realize you only have a few days, but some of my favorites up there are 299 to Willow Creek and then 96 following the Klamath River almost to the OR border, and then south on 3 from Yreka all the way back to 36. The advantage of these roads (including 36) is that unlike 20 they are pretty empty. Hope you have a great time!

Plan for Heat from Williams-Red Bluff and about half way to Fortuna, then Cold/Foggy until you get to Willits on HWY 101, then Heat again until Williams.

Sounds like a good loop. I've done it several times.

My only full gear is perforated Dainese two piece race leathers. I have outer rain gear, and wind proof fleece lined base layers, so I should be good to go in that respect. Not ideal touring kit, but I'll make it work.

A few years ago, I rode a Harley Wide Glide through Big Sur and up to San Francisco. I was in jeans and a leather jacket and thought I was going to freeze going through the fog and cold in Half Moon Bay. Since then I've done several shorter trips in SoCal and I've acquired better gear (including the vfr800f), so I think I'm a little better prepared this go around.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Member Contributer

V-FORE's great pic is heading west out of Red Bluff, where the first section is fun, farmland, not a lot of elevation change, but a great warm-up. Around when you enter the Shasta-Trinity National Forest you gain elevation and steep drop-offs, the road tightens up and becomes much more remote. Pavement ranges from good to just OK. Great views!

As you get closer to Fortuna and 101, things tighten up again for a while, sometimes with no center line or shoulder, watch out for oncoming trucks.

I realize you only have a few days, but some of my favorites up there are 299 to Willow Creek and then 96 following the Klamath River almost to the OR border, and then south on 3 from Yreka all the way back to 36. The advantage of these roads (including 36) is that unlike 20 they are pretty empty. Hope you have a great time!

That's really helpful commentary for trip planning. Thanks for posting.

• Member Contributer

That's really helpful commentary for trip planning. Thanks for posting.

You're welcome! Only moved to norcal a couple of years ago but have been lucky to be able to do a lot of exploring up north. And the bay area vfr gang (some of whom actually own vfr's...) have led me through some of CA's best roads.

You're from OR so I probably don't have to tell you to be ready for drizzle and cold at any time in the mountains, no matter what the forecast says.

Over on the Mendicino side is a great road if you are up that way - Orr Springs - Comptche-Ukiah Rd. I was there this summer. Some bumpy bits and goat-trail type roads in spots and other parts are perfectly flat, no traffic, super twisty bits - plenty of fun riding.

Archived