Riding From Florida To Texas (November)

Havagan

• Member Contributer

After a long, hot summer here in Florida I decided to take a short trip in mid-November as the weather cools. Looking at about 2500 miles round trip across the southern parts of LA, MS, AL and TX that I've never been in before. Taking it easy with short days and overnight stops in Destin, FL; Columbia, MS; Alexandria, LA; Nocagdoches, TX.

Any recommendations for what I should see, or where I should eat, along the route?

Basic GPS track is here: http://umap.fluv.io/en/map/tampa-to-texas_3267#7/29.061/-86.550

• Member Contributer

Oldest town in TX and lots of piney woods between there and LA. I have several friends in Nac and I'm sure they could offer up some info regarding roads, sites, and food suggestions depending on your plans/interests/time-frame.

• Member Contributer

I'm sure they could offer up some info regarding roads, sites, and food suggestions depending on your plans/interests/time-frame.

That sounds great. Current plan is to have Nac as my turn-around point and left plenty of time to ride the area. It's also a really short riding day (230 miles) to get there so I figure I can ride the area for two half days -- on the way west, overnight, and on the way east.

Was looking at routes and picked it because I realized that I had never been to Nacogdoches.

Yeh via 129 and the DRAGON and then TX ...

That's what gr8vfr said. I was there a couple weeks ago riding with him. Figured to stay a bit farther south this time since it was 24F and raining in November last year when I was up in NC.

• Member Contributer

Not sure about a fun ride route wise, but you have GOT to stop and eat at Prejean's in Lafayette, LA. That is, only if you're a fan of delicious food.

• Member Contributer

I'm sure they could offer up some info regarding roads, sites, and food suggestions depending on your plans/interests/time-frame.

That sounds great. Current plan is to have Nac as my turn-around point and left plenty of time to ride the area. It's also a really short riding day (230 miles) to get there so I figure I can ride the area for two half days -- on the way west, overnight, and on the way east.

Was looking at routes and picked it because I realized that I had never been to Nacogdoches.

Yeh via 129 and the DRAGON and then TX ...

That's what gr8vfr said. I was there a couple weeks ago riding with him. Figured to stay a bit farther south this time since it was 24F and raining in November last year when I was up in NC.

I saw you guys there.

• Member Contributer

You'd be crazy not to include the Barber Motorcycle museum near Birmingham, Alabama (if you've never been before)

That place is freaking amazing!!! I've been 3 or 4 times and I never get bored of it.

• Member Contributer

You'd be crazy not to include the Barber Motorcycle museum near Birmingham, Alabama (if you've never been before)

That place is freaking amazing!!! I've been 3 or 4 times and I never get bored of it.

I was there this past May for the Superbike school. Facility is incredible!

18427689091_3767b43712_b.jpg

After a long, hot summer here in Florida I decided to take a short trip in mid-November as the weather cools. Looking at about 2500 miles round trip across the southern parts of LA, MS, AL and TX that I've never been in before. Taking it easy with short days and overnight stops in Destin, FL; Columbia, MS; Alexandria, LA; Nocagdoches, TX.

Any recommendations for what I should see, or where I should eat, along the route?

Basic GPS track is here: http://umap.fluv.io/en/map/tampa-to-texas_3267#7/29.061/-86.550

I rode my Dirt bike from florida to texas, on ih110 , I did it for sex, I see no other reason Id do that run.

• 1 month later...
  • Member Contributer

If your going to make it deep into Texas and reach Austin there is the Circuit of the Americas, and awesome BBQ in Lockhart, look for Blacks BBQ.

If you guys are near Gonzales LA, East of Baton Rouge, awesome Jacked Up Oysters at a place called Dons. Went into an oyster coma one time at that place :cool:. Alcohol may have been involved :beer:

• 10 months later...
  • Member Contributer

Havagan, Im in Gulfport, MS so PM as we get close to your ride time and will try to catch up with you on part of you're route from AL to LA.  Let me know what dates of trip are so I can coord time away from work if needed. 

Archived