Metzler M7 Rr Front...what Rear?

Conedodger

• Member Contributer

I cut a front tire on my 6th Gen during an out of town trip last weekend. The only tire available to get me back on the road was a Metzler Sportec M7 RR. My rear tire, (Pilot Road 3), is just about shot. Should I get the matching M7 RR for the rear? Can I run the Metzler Roadtec Z6 sport touring tire on the rear? Thoughts?

• Member Contributer

I just mounted up a set of the M7RR on my Y2k. Only a few hundred miles on them but I really like them so far. Good turn in, ride smooth and seem to warm up quickly. They seem really similar to the Angel GT which isn't surprising (Pirelli/ Metzeler= same company).

Sounds like you should give the rear tire a shot!

• Member Contributer

I really like the Z8, and I get about 8000km out of a rear (and generally wear out the shoulders before the middle). Never had a grip problem (and I do scrape my pegs pretty often). The Z6 is a much harder compound than the Z7 so IMO a bit of a mismatch to the Z7.

• Member Contributer

Good turn in, ride smooth and seem to warm up quickly.

Exactly my thoughts about the front after several hundred miles in the Adirondack Mountains.

Let me know what kind of mileage you see on yours. I have a trip or two planned this fall with these tires so Im looking forward to really getting some miles on them.

• 1 year later...

I've ran ppower fronts for years and years, really grown sick of them.   I new they were getting hard to find, and wanted to find a future replacement. Got a Metzler m7 rr front, right off the bat its stickier , has traction feel and very stable, with the bike handling.  Thats one issue I was seeing with the ppower, just horrible handling, ecpecially after the tire had alittle wear on it.

The m7 tire is super super light, also has a the tire dot, its the least weight ive had to use on a tire in over 111,000 miles.

Not sure of the longevity yet , but its a very good performance tire, and my ktm dirt bike was showing me how bad the handling had become with the vfr on a ppower front. The m7 made me want to ride the vfr more.

• Member Contributer

Z6 to a M7RR is a 10 years difference.

You cannot possibly compare the two.

Angel GT's are a sport touring tyre as well, you will not get anywhere near the milage on a M7RR, it is a sports tyre.

The PR3 is a sports touring tyre that doesn't have a great following.

Most people either liked the PR2 (people who liked how much they gripped and how predictable they were all the way to the end of their life) or the PR4 (how good they are for long life and wet weather grip), not the PR3.

I did use Z8's for a while in the past and I can't complain about them as they were great, they did everything right, and I diffinetley didn't baby them. Much better than Z6.(do they still sell Z6's?)

Now using PP3's and loving them, 6000kms from rears and 11000 from front, but what a ride.

I should mention that Im running a road 2 rear with that m7 front, which will need a replacement model there also (cause I think the road 2 is dead).  I like the road 2 for wear and reasonable grip(its the life mainly though) with 4500 mile average life.

Its hard for me to find fronts nowadays, cause I only want single compound fronts, and so many are dual stage, which tend to triangulate quickly.

Archived