05 Or 08?

drhoy

Ok guys i need some help or advice....

I am in the process of selling/trading my Honda RC51 for a VFR

I have two people with VFR's who would like to trade and I'm not very familiar with the bikes yet.
so my question is which should i go with or is there a big difference between the two

1st: 2008 VFR the dark silver color. it has 20,000 miles on it and is stock except for a full exhaust that was put on, paint and body are in near perfect shape.

2nd: 2005 VFR the lighter silver color, has 18,000 miles, aftermarket bars(not risers but full bars) slip on exhaust, givi windshield, givi bags, after market seat. paint has few minor scratches.

both are up to date on maintenance with the valve jobs already being done.

will i see a difference between the two bikes as far a years are concerned or are they basically the same. and am i dumb to pass up the older bike with lots of extras for the 08 bc i like the dark silver over the light silver but would be ok either way?

please weigh in on this and thanks for the help

• Member Contributer

There are some minor differences that surfaced from 2006 onward. Among them:

* Updated electrical system. 2002 thru 2005 were subject to a wiring harness recall. If you buy the '05 be sure that's been done or factor that in.

* 2008 has clear turn lenses vs amber before 2006

* 2008 will be missing the "Elf" badge on the swingarm - it was deleted

* Changed VTEC engagement - IIRC from 6,400 rpm through 2005 to 6,800 rpm '06 and later

* '06 and later deleted the black "V" shaped paint scheme between the headlights - became body color

* '06 and later has white border on the tach face vs all black

* If you're looking at ABS models, the pulse generator ring on the front wheel changed from a toothed to a slotted design

There may be more I'm not thinking of. Except for the VTEC engagement and wiring recall, the changes are mostly cosmetic and subject to personal preference. If the wiring is in good shape, then I would pick the one that's in the best shape and is the best deal.

• Member Contributer

Honda addressed the VTEC transition and R/R - Stator problems on the 2002 to 2005 models so 06 and beyond have that as plus.

08 has, allegedly, more refinements to the fuel injection mapping (arguable), an ECM OBD2 port (for simple installation of a future GPI, if you wish), different front calipers (06-09), an upgraded electrical harness

Whichever bike has ABS - that's the one. Everything else is either marketing hype or can be upgraded

• Member Contributer

IF it were me, I would go with abs first and then the other stuff. The electricals are better on the '06 and above. If I recall, just to correct what was said before, the engagement in the vtec was brought down from 6800 rpm to 6400 on the earlier models, making it smoother, not the other way around.

Apart from that, maybe farkles would decide for you--the more the merrier such as luggage and such.

Good luck and please post pics of the new ride when in your driveway.

C

PS I just re read your post, I would definitely go with the newer model. The Gigi bags and better electricals would surely sway me that way. But that's just me. You may think differently.

• Member Contributer

Straight swap for your bike or money changing hands too?

I agree with the others; ABS would be my highest priority, then age, as long as cash was not a factor.

Generally speaking, the later bike would be my preference (I own an 08 model!). The Vtec transition is smoother on the later models as they split the transition points to avoid hunting and general engine discomfort if yr cruising around the transition zone (~102mph in 6th). The later model Vtec comes in (change from 2 valves to 4 valves per cylinder) at ~6800rpm and goes back to 2 valves at ~6400rpm. Only really an issue if you like to hover around the transition setting on the earlier models (~6400 rpm I think).

• Member Contributer

I had a 2004 and now have a 2008. VTEC transition is no big deal on either one. Once the 2004 got broke in good, it didn't phase me in transition. The 2004 bike had much better fueling at off idle and didn't have the heavy leaning issues at cruising speed like my 2008 had. I improved 2008 with O2 eliminators, didn't need anything on the 2004). I don't have a clue if it was just these individual bikes or if it is common with all of them. I had the same Remus pipes on both bikes. The OEM suspension was much better on my 2004 even though they should be identical. I am 20 lbs heavier than I was when I had the 2004, but the old bike rode better with hard bags loaded down than the 2008 did without them. I fixed that with DMr suspension stuff. The biggest difference between the two bikes was that the red paint made the 2004 faster. :goofy:

• 2 weeks later...
  • Member Contributer

08 has, allegedly, more refinements to the fuel injection mapping (arguable), an ECM OBD2 port (for simple installation of a future GPI, if you wish), different front calipers (06-09), an upgraded electrical harness

Whichever bike has ABS - that's the one. Everything else is either marketing hype or can be upgraded

I wasn't aware of the caliper changes. Details?

1st: 2008 VFR the dark silver color. it has 20,000 miles on it and is stock except for a full exhaust that was put on, paint and body are in near perfect shape.

After ABS, this is what would sway me. If it has an aftermarket full exhaust, that means that it no longer has a cat and is also lighter. I could be wrong, but I believe the bike should also have been tuned after swapping the headers. It may have a power commander or the like.

Swapping out headers is a pain in the ass, be glad someone did the work for you!

• 2 weeks later...

It took a bit of finding but here is a link to what I had remembered reading here on the board regarding 6th Gen caliper differences in a post titled,

"Dangerously worn front brake caliper (yes, caliper)"

http://www.vfrdiscussion.com/forum/index.php/topic/70012-dangerously-worn-front-brake-caliper-yes-caliper/?hl=+front%20+brakes

Regards!

• Member Contributer

Lots of chit-chat about ABS above this post.... Am I missing something? I don't see that either one of his choices has ABS. I would pick that as well but I don't think it is even in the picture here. Aside from that, I would take the '08 just to try to avoid the electrical gremlins of earlier models.

Archived