2002 With Charging Issues - How High Is Too High?

mk2davis

@CR - If the charging is fine (looks it, but yesterday was only about 1 hour and the first time the bikes been out since the stator went) I might look into replacing incandescents with LEDs. A quick search showed there's some headlight conversion kits which have lower power draw. Once I tot up the draw of all the accessories, if there's not enough with the stock lights I think I'll try and replace at least the lead lights with LEDs. Useful info on the battery also, fingers crossed the Shorai doesn't go bad as I don't fancy having to buy a new one of those

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I would start with LEDs on the tail lights and go from there. Keep in mind the charging system is a balancing act. What isn't used to top off the battery, lights, ignition, fuel pump etc, must be converted to heat by the rr. So if you free up a hundred watts, by using all LED/HID everything, then unless you are putting that 100 watts towards heated grips and other accessories, the rr will now be responsible for shorting that excess power to ground. That is why its such a great idea to have a volt meter like you do and then keep an eye on your voltage and do your best to balance your voltage budget. I have a manual fan switch and the fan will eat up some power, not quite as much as the high beams, but it will eat up power. So I usually only use the high beams and fan while I am moving pretty good and I don't use them at the same time.

• 1 month later...

Just a follow up... I went on a long weekend on the bike a few weeks back, electrics were bulletproof, so happy all is working again!

Tempting fate, I even took to upgrading the tail/break lights to LEDs and the main beams (just made a post explaining here). Thanks for your help CR!

Archived