[Introductory] Another 5Th Genner (Uk)

hellindustries

Vital? Nothing really. But the reg/rec is a weakness.

It is? I've had my bike 11 years now (and it's 14 years old), and had not a scrap of trouble with it. Mind you... I *did* fit a pentium fan and heatsink to it when I bought the bike, as the previous two bikes (1990 VFR750 and 2001 VTR1000) both had R/Rs blow. The voltage is always in spec, and the current battery (MotoBatt) is still strong, after many years (dunno how many exactly..)

There.

I've done it. The R/R is now going to fail, the battery will explode, and I'll crash, die, catch on fire AND burst into flames, and die all over again. :sad:

It's all someone else's fault too.

• Member Contributer

Vital? Nothing really. But the reg/rec is a weakness.

It is? I've had my bike 11 years now (and it's 14 years old), and had not a scrap of trouble with it. Mind you... I *did* fit a pentium fan and heatsink to it when I bought the bike, as the previous two bikes (1990 VFR750 and 2001 VTR1000) both had R/Rs blow. The voltage is always in spec, and the current battery (MotoBatt) is still strong, after many years (dunno how many exactly..)

There.

I've done it. The R/R is now going to fail, the battery will explode, and I'll crash, die, catch on fire AND burst into flames, and die all over again. :sad:

It's all someone else's fault too.

Serves you right! haha

Looks like your preventative medicine worked. :beer:

What kind if bolts are you looking for? On the other side of the pond they only run me a buck or two a piece. And the pound is much stronger than the dollar...

Things like:

• Rear sprocket (chain wheel) nut washers, bolts, nuts
  • Handlebar pinch bolts
  • Front fork pinch bolts
  • Front brake L/R calliper bolts
  • Engine bolts for the visible areas
  • Brake disc bolts
  • etc...

Mostly for areas i can see.

Some bolts i'm not replacing with genuine, but swapping for better looking versions, like the bolts which clamp the brakes and controls to the bars; I've chosen a stainless caphead over the stock greenish standards.

I spent over £65 on just these. At trade prices.

attachicon.gifIMAG0082.jpg

Genuine Honda nuts & bolts are crazy expensive over here. For no good reason.

Example of swapping for better looking:

attachicon.gifoemswap1.jpg

Those i can get for less that a pound each, and in a lot of cases; Free, but that's because they're pretty generic bolts.

Apologies if this post doesn't flow right or a bit jumbled up. 3:30am here and i've just been woken up by a house alarm and written this whole thing without my glasses.

Try somewhere like this: http://www.ronayers.com/oemparts/#/l/hon/5053e922f870021c54be365a/2000-vfr800fi-a-parts

See how much the stuff you want would cost. If it's a lot cheaper than in the UK, you could order it and have it shipped to me & I'll forward it on internationally. I've got no association with them other than being a satisfied customer.

What kind if bolts are you looking for? On the other side of the pond they only run me a buck or two a piece. And the pound is much stronger than the dollar...

Things like:

• Handlebar pinch bolts
  • Front fork pinch bolts
  • Brake disc bolts
  • etc...

Some bolts i'm not replacing with genuine, but swapping for better looking versions, like the bolts which clamp the brakes and controls to the bars; I've chosen a stainless caphead over the stock greenish standards.

Those i can get for less that a pound each, and in a lot of cases; Free, but that's because they're pretty generic bolts.

Apologies if this post doesn't flow right or a bit jumbled up. 3:30am here and i've just been woken up by a house alarm and written this whole thing without my glasses.

Try somewhere like this: http://www.ronayers.com/oemparts/#/l/hon/5053e922f870021c54be365a/2000-vfr800fi-a-parts

See how much the stuff you want would cost. If it's a lot cheaper than in the UK, you could order it and have it shipped to me & I'll forward it on internationally. I've got no association with them other than being a satisfied customer.

Where it says 'Quantity' is that what you get for the listed price, or the amount you need to order?

Things like:

• Handlebar pinch bolts
  • Front fork pinch bolts
  • Brake disc bolts
  • etc...

Where it says 'Quantity' is that what you get for the listed price, or the amount you need to order?

It's the amount that the parts manual calls for. They don't have minimum order quantities, which is great. For example, if you go to the Air Cleaner section, you'd only need one air filter (at $42.25) but you'd need four air funnels (at $8.11 each) if you were building a new bike.

• Member Contributer

QUOTE>>>>OK, turns out i'm doing the PAIR, flapper and snorkel mods as described here. Seems very simple and quick, bonus points for being reversible. And the possibility for smoothing things out seems to make it worth it.

REPLY>>>>I'm shopping for a 5th gen at the moment myself. The mods regarding PAIR, flapper and snorkel in the linked post refer to a 6th gen. I assume they are the same for the 5th.

Don't forget to balance the SVs every 4k as well.

Can you comment on the amount variance that you see when performing this procedure periodically? Is 4,000 miles what those manuals recommend? This is the first time I have seen a spec for the frequency of this procedure.

• Member Contributer

There's no specified frequency for synching starter valves in the shop manual, but the idle speed is specified for inspection every 4000 miles. Unlike the 6th gen, the SV synch is easy to do on the 5th (just lift the tank and you're ready, whereas the airbox has to come off for the 6th) so if you had the gear, why not? Otherwise I'd only go looking at the starter valves if the idle was dodgy.

• Member Contributer

Wot he says!

Nothing specified in the manuals and it's not even in the official service schedule but makes a huge difference if they are out and is very easy to do (even on the 6th Gen).

Just make it part of your routine maintenance.

Welcome. For parts I've used Partzilla, although Her Majestys Revenue and Customs decided I should give them yet more money (although I still saved nearly £300 on parts!)

I also use MotoToro, who are based in Dublin. Very reasonable, sometimes cheaper than mainland UK! Good delivery times too.

Also bought stainless steel kit from eBay and paid around 6 quid

Archived