Vf1000R Cyllinders On A Vfr800Fi?

Madsen

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Member Contributer

I highly doubt it. Considering it's been 17 years since the 800 came out, and a liter bike is what every vfr owner dreams of, someone would have tried it. Not sure but aren't the gear drives located in different spots. (800 on the end,1000 in the centre)

I wish it was a bolt on mod.

• Member Contributer

Fill us in please. Did a search and found his fifth/sixth gen swap but nothing about a 1000 r.

If I win the lottery, I'll get someone to cast me new cylinder blocks with room for 1000cc sleeves...

Hey, anyone in for a group buy?

• Member Contributer

I think he's referring to this thread.

http://www.vfrdiscussion.com/forum/index.php/topic/75067-anyone-ever-reboredoverbored-a-56th-gen/?hl=%20has%20%20anyone%20%20bored%20%205th

Not only highly informative, but also great eye candy!

• Member Contributer

Hi Madsen

Don't think you can get anywhere near 1000cc with the VFR800 configuration.

You'd need to go to 81.4mm bore to get to 999cc with the standard stroke of 48mm.

With that bore you'd have pretty much no water jacket left once you put pressed in sleeves etc.

Sorry but if you want a litre bike, you are looking in the wrong place here with the VFR.

Not saying that it could not be done but piston mass/balance factor etc. would be well outside the original design.

• Member Contributer

On the same note I was wondering if it was possible to up the compression ratio by decking the heads. That might make the bike stronger on the bottom like we all want. Guess there could be issues with the gears though

Can't shave the heads with the gear drive cams. VTEC yeah you could do it because of the cam chains.

Another thing, boring the existing VFR 800 cases to 1000cc would probably have you carving through the water jackets I think. There's not a lot of metal there. Hence the MMC liners for strength and wear resistance.

• Member Contributer

Thanks for all answers. It was just a thought I had one evening I was bored. I think I have to try and mount the intyre engine from a VF1000R if I want a 1-liter VFR800 :cool: We are getting closer to Winter here in Denmark, so lets see what time will bring :goofy:

• Member Contributer

Well, as HighsideNZ built my 825cc idea, we know that's possible, but whilst it gives 140hp, it does not appear any stronger low down, when I compare dyno graphs with my own.

I have been thinking some more & you could build a 916cc VFR, by boring out the MMC liner & replating the cylinder wall with Nikasil or equivalent. That would leave 5mm wall thickness compared to 8mm as standard. There is room to add a 1 or 2mm reinforcing ring, or you could add an open desk support, machined to fit.

This would use CBR1000RR 78mm Wiseco pistons, they are the same weight as standard, so could use standard rods & rev limit, alternately, you could get some new rods made up & increase the Rev limit.

You would need new more aggressive cams to compensate for the higher compression ratio, this setup should produce around 180hp !

We know the engine can take this, the RC45 racers were making this kind of hp & the supercharged ones can be tuned to similar numbers, so it's strong enough. Might want to weld or pin the crank webs, but I don't recall that being done to the race bikes, so should be OK. This setup should be stronger low down to.

All you need now is a bucket of money & a good engineering shop ;)

If I ever get the spare cash I'm going to build this, just to prove that the RCV213S could have been built years ago for a lot less money !

• Member Contributer

Sorry but there is another issue to remember when going extremely large in the bore.

The water jacket holes in the head around the bores are going to be really close to the edge of the gasket/cylinder bore, so I'd bee rather concerned about leakage to/from the water jacket.

I've just measured an old gasket and by the time the gasket bore is increased to 79mm there would only be 3mm from the inner edge of the holes in the gasket to the actual cylinder bore.

Seeing the casting holes in the head are quite a bit larger than the holes in the gasket, then I'd have to say that there would be not enough meat to guarantee a good seal.

Phil

Don't you wish we could just slap these in the vfr? That would also greatly strengthen the block by going from open deck to closed deck and it would also possibly allow better head gasket sealing, as you could o-ring the block and heads....

http://products.vividracing.com/-p-150775455.html

• Member Contributer

CR, Back to start of thread vf1000r cylinders in VFR !

Phil, good point I have not looked at the head cooling voids, just the open deck, will need to do some measuring !

• Member Contributer

CR

That is pretty much what I did with my old VF750 based 880 back in the '80.

Machined the existing liners out completely and made up my own with tops to fit recesses in the block.

Made them out of cylindically cast cast iron. Similar to what you posted.

Phil

• 3 weeks later...
  • Member Contributer

The bores stood up well but I made my own gear drive for the cams and I had real problems getting that to hold together.

Cost me a lot in bent Ti valves.

Shelved it in the end.

• Member Contributer

Wasn't possible back in '84 so hence why I've done what i've done with the Gen5/Gen6 scenario now.

There is a shite load of power waiting to be tapped this these engines.

• 1 month later...
  • Member Contributer

Late to the party on this one, but a subject that hasn't been mentioned is longevity.
I'm thinking primarily of things like the cooling system and the cylinder wall thickness.

Since supercharging doesn't alter the engine itself, all of the components maintain their stock strength/capabilities.

As Mohawk stated, we know that the engine is strong enough to deal with the HP that RC45 racers were getting, but they looked at the situation with an eye towards a longevity of one season.

I'm the furthest thing from an expert on any of this stuff, but logic would indicate that you'd have to address whether or not the cooling system and the thinner cylinder liners could handle the increased heat.

Archived