'02 Running Rough At Idle, Smoke, And No Power In Low End. . .

N8sVFR

She LIVES!!!  Re-installed the three serviced and one new injector.  Drained out over 10 quarts of mostly gasoline - oil, replaced with new along with a new filter.  Started, ran for 5 minutes, turned off, drained and replace oil.  Repeated two more times.  She is now running properly, no smoke, not blowing gasoline through the exhaust, and no fuel in the oil.  I'm relieved!!  Going to put all the fairings back on this afternoon and take her out for a ride.  Hopefully, all will be well.

The neutral switch was also replaced with new. . . .seems like the old one had just worn out at exactly the same time as this injector issue raising it's ugly head.  Weird, but true.  

I'll share another update after a couple of test rides.  

Sticking with it is what I do. . . .I'm way too stubborn to quit!!  And it all paid off. :)

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Fantastic, please keep us informed on how she runs out on road.

I'm actually dealing with similar issues on a friends bike. 02 800, smoking, power loss at low rpm's , Ramon missing and popping!

I changed all four injectors and no change. Get codes 13(injector #2) & 19(crank position sensor or whatever the proper term is). I cleared all codes, it runs the same and no codes now, but haven't road tested it.

• 2 weeks later...

BR -- road testing went well.  I believe that there must have been some remaining fuel in the exhaust system, because she produced some smoke for about 10 miles or so before getting fully warmed up / burning off all the remaining fuel in the exhaust.  That being said, everything appears to be operating within specs now, and all seems well.  I am preparing for a significant road trip that is starting this Wednesday -- leaving DC, headed up to the Blue Ridge, and then headed southwest to meet up with some friends in western NC.  Will be a 5 day trip, so that will be the true test!!

• Member Contributer

Nate,

I followed this thread because I love a great mystery and troubleshooting mysteries are almost as good as true crime mysteries. But the internet has ruined both my memory and reading comprehension. I need one of those re-caps at the end of the episode where Fred and Velma tell me what just happened. So... among all the branches explored, the critical failure was a leaky fuel injector on the #1 cylinder? Unregulated fuel was perpetually leaking through the injector into the cylinder where it thwarted combustion and then seeped past the rings and fouled your engine oil? In which case, fortune-teller credit to JNBarrett for this back in December?:

On 12/30/2015 at 1:21 PM, JNBarrett said:

More I think about it ... the more I'm convincing myself your injector is stuck open.

Is all of that correct?

Rob - you got it.  That appears to have been the issue.  I DEFINITELY had an injector that was leaking.  However, I also replaced the Fuel Pressure Regulator as part of this process.  I don't *think* that it was the point of failure, but for the price, it was simple and easy to replace.  

CandyRed - definitely. . . .me too!!

On ‎4‎/‎30‎/‎2016 at 0:03 PM, Baileyrock said:

Fantastic, please keep us informed on how she runs out on road.

I'm actually dealing with similar issues on a friends bike. 02 800, smoking, power loss at low rpm's , Ramon missing and popping!

I changed all four injectors and no change. Get codes 13(injector #2) & 19(crank position sensor or whatever the proper term is). I cleared all codes, it runs the same and no codes now, but haven't road tested it.

Hey bud, I just went through similar issue as the OP with purchasing a 2002 that sat for 7 years before me purchasing it, had all 4 injectors cleaned and matched in flow and replaced the fpr, the fpr was leaking fuel into the vacuum system and filled the oil with gas and bleeding excess gas and oil into the exhaust, my bike was really lacking in power in the bottom-end after all the work, took the stock exhaust headers off to clean them up and paint them with some exhaust paint since they were rusted some, noticed that you couldn't see hardly any light when pointing it through the cat.... turned out the cat was really clogged with crap from the fuel and such leaking into the exhaust, because I took a plumbers snake I had and ran it down through the exhaust to smashed it through the cat and the chunks I had come out were caked with some sort of black tarry stuff that was probably bottlenecking it, because afterwards the bike feels like it has twice the power and idles smooth now along with running much much cooler temp wise..

1 hour ago, Storx said:

Hey bud, . turned out the cat was really clogged with crap from the fuel and such leaking into the exhaust,

Thanks for the input. Good info.

On 5/9/2016 at 11:05 AM, N8sVFR said:

BR --  Will be a 5 day trip, so that will be the true test!!

Enjoy the trip and be sure to post up about it when your finished.

Also remember to take it easy, you'll be a long ways from home and you need to make it back in one piece! 

BR

Well . . .I have good news and bad news.

The good news is that everything that I did made the bike run PERFECTLY for the duration of my trip.  Put about 1300 miles on her over 5 days.  Saw some beautiful scenery and spent some time with some really good quality people.

The bad news is. . . . .

I realize that I really haven't been riding my bike enough!!!!!!!!  In all seriousness, there are definitely a few things that need some further consideration.  The ride down to NC (490.1 miles in about 8 hours) made me realized that the stock seat, the stock bars, and the stock screen are not ideally suited for my height / weight / riding style.  I'll be considering helibars, a Sergant (or other) seat, and some sort of modification to the windscreen (either taller or with a laminar lip).  

The motor ran great.  I did happen to pick up a stainless steel screw in my rear tire, which required a plug on the third day of riding, but that was the only minor incident.

Thanks again to all for reading and providing input.  I'll try to post up a few pics of the ride within the next week (I'm out of town again already for some work travel, otherwise I'd do it now!!)

Archived