Leaky 4Th Gen Gas Petcock.

Beck

Last time I took the tank off the bike to do aome maintenance, I notice that the petcock was not sealing completely on the off position and fuel was dripping from it at a quite alarming rate..

I noticed that the petcock is riveted together and there is no way to get to the valve innards to possibly rebuild it with new seals/orings(?).

Other than replacing the whole petcock fuel strainer/inlet assembly on the tank, is there any other way to fix this leaking situation?

I think I asked this here some time ago and unfortunately I don't remember getting any relies..... asking again, as I'm expecting to remove the tank soon to do some electrical maintenance and possibly a carb balance....

• Member Contributer

In short, yes there is. I'm pretty sure that the later RC36 petcock is the same as the early bike, but check the part number. The rivets are easily drilled out if you have a drill press, and the holes easily tapped if you have a metric tap set. I used M4, but I think you could also use M3 screws.

NRP in the UK sells a rebuild kit. If you have a good o-ring supplier in the 'States you could probably just buy the o-rings and have enough left over to do nine more VFRs!

Some pics in this thread. I rebuilt my FP's petcock this summer, and it's worked fine ever since. Good luck!

Ciao,

I replaced mine on my streetfighter with a full new assembly after a temporary fix involving fuel-proof sealant did not yield the desired results (although it held up for a trip I wanted to take).

I did not incorporate a new o ring when I did my fix, microfiche showed only an entire assembly available. So I used the sealant alone, after drilling out the rivets and tapping for M5 screws.

20150822_201156_zpsqwg6gsow.jpg

The screws worked nicely

2015-09-06%2020.58.23_zpscgqvcimx.png

The sealant did not. It suffered from a tiny pinhole that seeped fuel. I could fix it, but I lost the ball under my bench the last time I had it apart.

2015-09-06%2020.58.00_zpstglzpdxz.png

I would have liked to try to fix it with an o-ring, but I was under pressure to get it fixed in time for TMAC, so I ordered the whole new assembly.

One last bit of info, that is a '96 petcock assembly. It is installed in a '92 tank.

Thanks for the great info JZH, Seb,!

Nice to see the interior of the petcock valve in that pic too Seb, so at least I might get to figure out how the petcock works.

I might just replace the whole assembly, but if it costs too much I'll try the re-build route of drilling out the rivets as a plan "B".....

Archived