Cleaning Helmet Pads [Liner]

burnes45

• Member Contributer

This is my first helmet with removable Pads [liner] that can be cleaned. Question is once I take them out and wash them will they go back in and fit right? Any suggestions? Summer riding in Florida they sure could use it. Thanks.

• Member Contributer

I dunk my skid lid in a bucket of warm water and mild laundry detergent soap...
HelmetWashing03.jpg

I hand agitate the liner until all the sweat and oils are removed...

I fill and rise the inside of the helmet with warm water to remove all the soap...
HelmetWashing01.jpg
HelmetWashing02.jpg

I towel the inside to soak up the water and then let it air dry for 2 days out in the sun...

Just look at the dirty water now my funky skid lid smells new again...

HelmetWashing09.jpg

• Member Contributer

I've done the bucket dunk with my old helmets that didn't have removable liners. For the ones with removable liners, I wash and dry them with a load of laundry. Never had a problem with them fitting afterwards.

Yep, take them out and wash them on gentle cycle - use Woolite or a gentle detergent if you're paranoid.

Let them air dry then pop them back in. Done it dozens and dozens of times with various helmets - never any issues.

Only thing I don't like when I wash out my helmet padding is the water, even with the mildest detergents, tend to fade out the padding textiles a bit after just a couple of washes......

I wish the manufacturers would always use non-colorfast dyes on their materials.....

I towel the inside to soak up the water and then let it air dry for 2 days out in the sun...

Or about 2 hours if it's 100 degrees like today. :wink:

• Member Contributer

Someone told me to take all the removable elements out (cheek pads, liner, etc.) and wash them by hand in the sink using Johnson's baby shampoo. Seems to work well (based on the colour of the water and the liner)--and smells nice too. Squeeze out as much water as you can and hang to dry. No apparent shrinkage or problems with fit.

• Member Contributer

Thanks for the advice, I'll give them a wash today. I'll try the sink method 1st. Don't know that I trust my wash machine.

• 10 months later...
  • Member Contributer
On ‎8‎/‎27‎/‎2015 at 8:50 PM, BrianF said:

Yep, take them out and wash them on gentle cycle - use Woolite or a gentle detergent if you're paranoid.

Let them air dry then pop them back in. Done it dozens and dozens of times with various helmets - never any issues.

Don't they float?

On 7/19/2016 at 10:03 PM, MysteryRider246 said:

Don't they float?

For a couple seconds until they get soaked I guess. But not through the cycle - it's not like they're made out of cork or something.

• Member Contributer

I usually wash mine with shampoo by hand and rinse thoroughly and let air dry for a day or so.

• 4 weeks later...

I use a delicate washing bag (that thing women wash their sexy stuff in) and put my liner in that. Keeps it from sticking to other Inge in the wash and makes them easy to find. Never had any trouble that way. I air dry after was. With a spin dry cycle it's a couple hours and they are good to reinstall.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Archived