4 Lug Axle To 5 (Vfr1200 Wheel Conversion)

lanesmatb

Question

Just wanted to throw this idea out here on the board for some feedback:

Put a 6" VFR 1200 wheel on a 5th gen. Aesthetics is a personal thing, but I like the looks and it also give an addition 0.5" width to run a 190.

The ability to mod the 4 lug wheel flange is pretty easy - plugging/welding the 4 holes and re-drilling for a 5 hole configuration is $90.00 through Moser Engineering .

The questions are:

Centering flange diameter on the 1200 wheel the same as the 800 axle?

Offset between the 1200 vs 800 wheels (will the wheel center up)

Axle center to lug distance (ensure that there is enough outer mounting flange material on the 4 lug axle)

Thoughts? Anyone have a spare VFR1200 wheel laying around and a dial caliper?

Scott L.

• Member Contributer

Please keep us in the loop on this one... and if you want to figure out how to mount an 8-gen rear on a 6-gen, that'd be equally if not more awesome!

I've wondered about this idea but don't know any shops locally and don't have time to chase it. Hope someone gets it worked out because I never found an eight spoke and this would be so much better.

Modifying the 4,5, 6th gen axle flange from 4 to 5 lug is a pretty simple machine shop procedure. Moser Engineering modifies axles from 4 to 5 lug (plus plugging the abandoned stud holes) for $90.

The biggest issue in my mind is if the wheel offset; is the wheel offsets on the 7th and 8th gen is setup for the wheel mounting flange are proportionally the same as the earlier models. In other words, will it center up on the swingarm. If this is the case, this is very doable/easy mod.

If we can get the offset measurement from a 7th or 8th gen rear wheel, we should have our answer.

Any takers???

post-30878-0-20989100-1439994506.jpg

• Member Contributer

Simple, but hard, as in very hard metal! Oh well, it's their tooling...

I would be surprised if they were not centered (or the same amount off-centre--I forget which), as the other Honda SSSA rear wheels I measured were identical.

Ciao,

On 19/08/2015 at 6:34 AM, Veefer800Canuck said:

Use the axle from the 2015 VFR 800

It's 5 lug and is *probably* the same pattern as the VFR1200

But check first to be absolutely sure before buying parts.

Did anyone find the answer to this?

Do the 7th and 8th Gen (i.e. 1200 and latest 800) have the same Rr wheel mount PCD?

Are the offsets the same?

Just to add to this, i have found that the axle used on the 8th Gen VFR800 fits into the same drive hub assembly used on the 5th and 6th gen bikes, seen here: 

https://www.bike-parts-honda.com/pieces-honda-detail-72860-72860-VFR800FE-2014-F_19-VFR+800+F.html 

part numbers 7 and 9, are common among all VfR800 from 1998-present. which means that part number 5(the 5-stud axle), will fit into any bike with that hub assembly.

could be a much easier option than welding and redrilling the existing flange. 

• Member Contributer

search my name on here or "rear wheel" I have the 8 gen wheel on my 6 gen, lines up perfect, if someone ships me a 1200 wheel I will mount it and test if make sure it rides fine. I did this about 2 years ago I think maybe 2 others have done it since.

IMG_0132.thumb.JPG.6f9226fac4558c54254087c4292e4459.JPG

11 hours ago, 3dcycle said:

search my name on here or "rear wheel" I have the 8 gen wheel on my 6 gen, lines up perfect, if someone ships me a 1200 wheel I will mount it and test if make sure it rides fine. I did this about 2 years ago I think maybe 2 others have done it since.

Am I right in thinking that you used an 8th Gen axle?

The question then however is whether the 5 x wheel mount stud PCD is the same on the 8th Gen (800) as the 7th Gen (1200). No-one has so far answered that.

• Member Contributer

I did use 8 gen axle, I am pretty sure the lug pattern is the same on the 1200, no idea on the back spacing though. if I ever find a cheap 1200 wheel I will check it.

Could you measure the PCD on yours? Not easy to do accurately but we should be able to do it well enough to compare 7th and 8th Gen and decide if it is the same.

Most of the SSSA bikes seem to use a 19mm (3/4") offset of the wheel, I'm not sure about 7th Gen (1200) though yet. When the weather warms up I'll take my rear wheel off and measure it - and the PCD.

• Member Contributer

PCD? bike is in storage right now for about 2-3 more weeks, after that I can remove it and measure what ever you need

• Member Contributer

so for $200 I can get a 1200 wheel shipped to me, any sponsors? can we get a donation pool going, couple bucks from everyone and we will know for sure once and for all :)

• Member Contributer

I had a 1200 wire spoke wheel in my hands for a little bit, and I seem to remember it was way off anything on an 800. For one thing, the offset was completely different. The 1200 was very shallow as compared to my '99 800. I think I got someone with an 800 5 lug to measure lug spacing and that was way off too. 

It seems to me (this was a year ago I was looking at this) that the 800's are compatible and the 1200 is a thing unto itself. I do own a '14 swingarm and have a 6th gen swingarm in my garage, and I swapped the hubs out and mounted it the '14 to my '99 with a 6th Gen rear cushion. I don't have an 8th Gen axle, but it would follow that it fits in 5th/6th hub.

Pretty sure Seb has the wire spoke 1200 rim in his shop at the moment.

• Member Contributer

but the wire wheel (1200 crosstour) wheel is narrow is it not? it does not mount a 190 tire to it so completely different from a 1200f.

17 minutes ago, 3dcycle said:

but the wire wheel (1200 crosstour) wheel is narrow is it not? it does not mount a 190 tire to it so completely different from a 1200f.

Yes it is a narrow wire wheel. However, it still attaches to the same 1200 shaft driveline, so the offset or centerline is relative.

I had a go at measuring my 1200F wheel (as Seb says, same PCD and offset as CrossTourer). This is done just with a tape measure, nothing particularly accurate, but enough to give us an idea.

The (5 bolt) PCD of the VFR1200 (7th Gen) is 80 mm which makes sense as the 750/800 uses a 4 bolt with 100 mm, so likely to be another round number.

The offset seems to be about -1" to -1.25", it's hard to get any closer than that without taking the wheel off, but it's certainly not the -3/4" of the 750/800.

Interestingly, I was also able to measure the rear wheel of a Rune which is likely to be, but not necessarily the same as a Gold Wing. The 5 bolt PCD is again 80 mm (as close as I could measure), but the offset is very different at +1.5" (again as close as I could measure it) which is the other way so a much deeper dish.

By which time my hands were getting numb with cold, so that's all I could do. Warmer weather will mean better measurements. :smile:

• Member Contributer

I wish I could find it, but I'm certain that someone on the forum found me some physical proof last year that the two different 5 lug wheels are incompatible.

We were looking into building an ADV Crosstour style thing from a 5th Gen, hence the 1200X wire wheel. Were hoping to get an 8th Gen axle to mount it, but found out the 5 lug patterns were indeed different.

My '16 Civic has a 5 lug wheel now. No more 4 lugs that fit on VFRs...:wink: No idea if they fit 7th or 8th or neither.

Hey Ghostrider (or anyone else), can you find out the PCD and wheel offset for the 1800 Gold Wing (and the new one)? Oh and also the PCD for the CB1000R and 8th Gen VFR? Unfortunately I don't have access to any of those to measure.

• Member Contributer

I don't have the numbers, but the previous gen CB1000R 4 lug wheel bolts on to any 4 lug VFR without mods. New model is 5 lug, and I'm curious about it matching the 8th gen myself.

Opening this up again, but seems to me there is another possibility becoming available.

The new CB1000R (Neo Sports Cafe) has a nice 6" wheel on 5 lug mount. This probably has the standard 19mm offset of other Honda SSSA (except VFR1200) and also probably the same PCD as the 8th Gen VFR. In which case, with an 8th Gen axle you should be able to mount this new wheel onto any previous VFR800.

Just a thought.

Archived