All Vfrs... Check Your Water Pump "weeping Hole" - Now!

Franko!

My water pump inner bearing and seal failed and allowed most of the coolant into my crankcase. Luckily I noticed and turned off the engine.

Normally the "weeping hole" will drip coolant and let you know the water pump seal has failed.

However, after 29 years and 119,000 KM the weeping hole was completely plugged, so nothing leaked. The bike overheated and I was towed home.

post-3060-0-56115000-1439242336.jpg

Left: Used water pump showing weeping hole

Right: Plugged weeping hole

The weeping hole is on the bottom of the water pump.

post-3060-0-00167400-1439242352.jpg

The inner seal on the impeller shaft failed and the grease was washed away by the coolant.

Then the bearing started to fail, allowing the impeller to scrape the side of the pump.

I replaced the water pump, changed the oil 4 times (running the engine for 10 minutes between each change) , changed the coolant 3 times, check the valve clearances and was off and running!

Edited by Franko!
  • Like 2

• Member Contributer

The weep hole is on the bottom, the picture of the pumps has them upside down. Or to put it another way that would be the view if you lay on the floor with the pump fitted to the bike, so definitely on the bottom !

• Member Contributer

Thanks for the tip Franko! Now I just have to learn where the water pump is. Can it be viewed w/o any more disassembly than taking cowls off?

• Like 1

• Member Contributer

The water pump on 5th--6th-8th gens is on the left side just in front of the gear lever shaft, no need to remove cowls to check the weep hole, Just use a thin piece of wire a fat paper clip for instance, The hole is as shown in the pics on bottom of pump housing shaft extension. Insert wire & wiggle around to dislodge any debris, if you have a smart phone you should be able to get a picture of it.

• Like 1

The weep hole is on the bottom, the picture of the pumps has them upside down. Or to put it another way that would be the view if you lay on the floor with the pump fitted to the bike, so definitely on the bottom !

Thanks for catching my mistake! I have edited my original post.

Edited by Franko!