1999 Vfr800 Centerstand

mkrouse

• Member Contributer

Just purchased this one owner bike. When I put the bike on the center stand [very easy] the rear wheel skims the ground. I can rotate the wheel by hand with medium force. The suspension triangle looks stock and the arrow points forward. Nothing appears loose in the connections.

When I changed the rear tire, I used 1/2" tiles under the stand. Quite a bit more force required to get it onto the stand. Left side dimension from ground to bolt centerline is 10 1/8". Any suggestions?

Front end modifications by the former owner maybe? Could that effect a rearward bias?

Thanks.

Perhaps the previous owner shimmed up the rear shock? You'll need to lift up the tank and look under the rear, where the shock bolt comes through the frame. See if there are any washers that he might have stuffed in there. Some people do this to increase the bike's ground clearance when leaned over in a turn and to make the steering a bit quicker.

• Member Contributer

If the shock has been re-worked (new spring maybe?) or is not OEM it could be a touch longer. Also, if the nut on the upper mounting shackle pin is not tight it could let it drop down when on the stand.

• Member Contributer

I agree with the previous two comments. There's nothing in the front end that would make it effectively longer when on the centre stand. If the shock is standard then look for spacers between the upper shock mount and frame cross member.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Member Contributer

What's the measurement from the triple tree to the top of the fork. Is it stock? If not stock setting wouldn't that affect rear geometry or am I confused?

• Member Contributer

Two things. The rear pre-load setting is at the highest notch. I believe that there is a shim at the top mount. Impossible for me to get a picture. It appears thin, although it was difficult to get my eyeball on the shim. I guess less than an 1/8". Maybe I'll take more time later for disassembly.

I did notice that one of the rubber tank cushions was missing.

Archived