Construction Area Merging Technics?

The mailman

• Member Contributer

Just a random merging question.... When I first learned to drive/ride, we were always taught to go ahead and work your way into an empty spot early when everyone is filtering into fewer lanes for general lane reductions or construction areas. We always thought those that stayed in the closing lane and weaseled their way in at the front of the line were just A-holes. Come on man - just make it flow like the rest of us! After recent trips to other states, I see that they PROMOTE staying in a closing lane until the last minute creating the "zipper" at the merge point. If you pull that here in Colorado, you may find yourself stuck in that lane for a while until someone is snoozing and leaves a gap. I'm thinking it's a regional thing. Your thoughts?

• Member Contributer

I think staying in the lane to the merge point and then taking turns "zippering" would be far less stressful, smoother, and ultimately faster. However, America is a "me!me!me!" society and more often than not, I see egos and attitudes getting in the way.

Don't get me started about Americans use of a roundabout.

• Member Contributer

It's promoted hear in MN. Where we have two seasons: Winter and road construction. And I believe it works. Much more efficient. They put sighs ahead of lane closures instructing the zipper.

• Member Contributer

The Zipper does seem like it would work fine. You just have to convince people here that the right-laners aren't trying to get one over on anyone in the left lane. I'm sure they are wondereing why so many left-laners are willing to be in such a long line when the right lane is clear for a mile! :cool:

• Member Contributer

The Zipper does seem like it would work fine. You just have to convince people here that the right-laners aren't trying to get one over on anyone in the left lane. I'm sure they are wondereing why so many left-laners are willing to be in such a long line when the right lane is clear for a mile! :cool:

I think some of those left-laner folks are "over civilized". Too polite. Afraid to make a mistake in public.

• Member Contributer

I think staying in the lane to the merge point and then taking turns "zippering" would be far less stressful, smoother, and ultimately faster. However, America is a a "me!me!me!" society and more often than not, I see egos and attitudes getting in the way.

Don't get me started about Americans use of a roundabout.

I totally agree. Not only does the "me" crowd make it slower for everyone else, but also in so doing for themselves! But, I guess they "win" because they're ahead of a few other drivers. I've given up trying to figure it out and just try to stay as zen as possible.

Archived