'99 And '00 Throttle Bodies Differences?

• Member Contributer

Looking at buying a '99 model throttle body. It's a California bike. Are there differences in the California models verses non California bikes? Do the '99's have wax units?

Cheers,

Jeffrey

• Member Contributer

'99 have a choke cable... no wax units. Not sure if the '99 California models have any additional plumbing for evap canisters and such for emissions

• Member Contributer

I did a quick check of the parts list for 99 VFR800fi at Huntington Beach Honda and the list included a part, canister (Cali only).

Years ago, I cannot remember why, I asked what a certain model designation among fifth gens, was told it meant: for Cali. That was for a whole set of fiche. Not just one part. Can't find it now.

• Member Contributer

Yeah. '00 and '99, any bike, CA or not, you have the wax unit difference vs. fast idle cable.

'98-'99 CA throttle bodies and '98-'99 49-state throttle bodies are the same, just vacuum hose routing differences.

• Member Contributer

Anyone have a pic of the top of their '99 throttle body? Want to see if a wax unit will bolt on. Really don't want to go through putting a cable on.

I've changed out the darn thermostat twice (hate removing that '00 air box, a ridiculous number of vaccum tubes and digging down to it!). The second time the wax unit got stuck and started acting funny on start-up. It fixed itself in short order, but it had me sweating bullets after buttoning it all back up. And it had me wishing for that cable, which I had heretofor considered silly and old-fashioned!

• Member Contributer

If your swapping out your TB why don't you go for a later 6th gen with the better fuel injectors? Plus it is easier to service with the injectors on top...

I picked up a 2009 TB for ~$100... uses the same injectors as the CBR1000 (4 instead of 8 injectors though :)

• Member Contributer

I didn't realized that would work on a 5th gen. Has anyone here done this? How much is involved to make it work?

RangerScott is the originator of the mod... I haven't installed mine yet, from what I understand the airbox may be slightly different and require an adjustment or swap. I believe the injectors are plug and play and the 5th gen ECU doesn't have any problem driving them.

Archived