Single Nut Rear Axle Conversion - 6Th Gen

HighSideNZ

Bigger pics please Phil. I reckon black wheels are the go and personally I'd lose the rim strips, but not my bike and a bike always looks different in the metal anyway, and usually better than in photos.

The next thing you need to do is buy zRoYz's A&A supercharger that he's not using... this could be the first 200hp+ VFR

• Like 1

• Member Contributer

It's beautiful. I could never keep it clean, though. Wet it down and ride it down a dusty backroad, then take some pics. I want to see what it would look like if I owned it! :wacko:

• Like 1

• Member Contributer

Welcome to the single nut club, looks like it's about to add more members.

This is absolutely the BEST way to join The Single Nut Club.
Sure beats the way Lance Armstrong got in!

• Member Contributer

Holy Crap Phil!

I love that cush drive solution. I have been trying to find a simple single-nut solution that does not add weight (like the Triumph is reported to) for my VFR.

Great post and once again your attention to detail is in documenting this upgrade is as good as your problem solving and engineering work on the upgrade.

1098S rear wheel is forged al, and weighs nothing. But you have to change the front as well otherwise your wheels won't match.

5 gen arm, ducati hub, ducati wheel, a spacer and a shim. Is the 5th arm very different to the 6th arm?

I have a Marchesini forged wheel from an 848 (5.5 width) as well as a matching front. However, the two separate Ducati hubs I have purchased to attempt the simple "shim around the circumference" method of installing into my Honda swingarm have both presented challenges. I am now unsure what model Duc these actually came from (1 was supposed to be from an 848 and the other from a 749 IIRC).

To answer your question on the differences between 5G and 6G swingarms the 5G arm is approximately 25mm shorter in length but aside from that is effectively the same.

Here are a couple of shots of the complete bike. Left and right.

attachicon.gif20150801_114530.jpg

attachicon.gif20150801_114545.jpg

IF Honda built this and sold it as an 8G VFR I would stop bitching about the price of the actual 8G VFR's and buy one even though it has a 15 year old chassis design and an even older engine design! :wink:

• Member Contributer

I hear where you are coming from.

The chassis and engine design are not really the issues. It's the extraneous crap hanging of each end.

The biggest problem with what I've just done is finding a wheel to suit!

I was lucky with finding the wheel I did but they are like rocking horse poop.

• Member Contributer

There are lots of RC30 & RC45 wheels around both new & secondhand which are a straight mount to the VFR400 axle. Plus the various Triumph & Ducati one if you go that route. Just be wary of 10-20year old magnesium ones especially if ex race !

Hey thanks again guys.

All the qudos for the initial ideas has to go to Mohawk though.

Seems that red is the only colour you can get urethane. Even back in the '80s buying urethane bar stock, it was always red.

Yep, agree, red and blue not the best combination.

I've been toying with the idea of painting my front calipers gold as well since I did the new rear one. Gold, red and black really do go together well.

Keef

I take it you meant 190/50 is what you ended up with.

190/55 would be too high in the profile I thought.

The 190/50 is about the same rolling radius as the original 180/55 that I was running.

Nope, went with the 55, made it feel sharp again, and raised the rear a bit too.

Holy Crap Phil!

I love that cush drive solution. I have been trying to find a simple single-nut solution that does not add weight (like the Triumph is reported to) for my VFR.

Great post and once again your attention to detail is in documenting this upgrade is as good as your problem solving and engineering work on the upgrade.

1098S rear wheel is forged al, and weighs nothing. But you have to change the front as well otherwise your wheels won't match.

5 gen arm, ducati hub, ducati wheel, a spacer and a shim. Is the 5th arm very different to the 6th arm?

I have a Marchesini forged wheel from an 848 (5.5 width) as well as a matching front. However, the two separate Ducati hubs I have purchased to attempt the simple "shim around the circumference" method of installing into my Honda swingarm have both presented challenges. I am now unsure what model Duc these actually came from (1 was supposed to be from an 848 and the other from a 749 IIRC).

To answer your question on the differences between 5G and 6G swingarms the 5G arm is approximately 25mm shorter in length but aside from that is effectively the same.

IF Honda built this and sold it as an 8G VFR I would stop bitching about the price of the actual 8G VFR's and buy one even though it has a 15 year old chassis design and an even older engine design! :wink:

the 1098 works, but it has the big axle, the 848 has a smaller axle. I've only got a standard 848 front, couldn't find a forged front when i was looking

6inch.

I have a 1098 6 inch rear wheel, it has the big axle, and fits in the Vfr arm with a shim and spacer.

The 848 is 5.5, and uses a smaller axle. Maybe that's why you can't use the shim and spacer setup, maybe I just got lucky with choosing the 1098.

I had the 190/50 on the standard Vfr 5.5, and swapped it to the 6inch, where it wasn't so good, so went to a rosso2 190/5. Lovely.

Edited by keef

I joined the single nut club last year, but not quite as stylishly as Phil has done :)

11817197_10153495110067834_3264964200822

• Like 2

• Member Contributer

Holy Crap Phil!

the 1098 works, but it has the big axle, the 848 has a smaller axle. I've only got a standard 848 front, couldn't find a forged front when i was looking

So you are saying that I screwed up in selecting the 5.5" wide wheel from the 848 because it utilizes a smaller axle and therefore cannot be simply fitted into the VFR swingarm with the 1.5mm shim surrounding the hub?

Had I gone with the large axle 1098 wheel and the matching large axle hub from a 1098 it would have been more easily fitted to the VFR swingarm?

• Member Contributer

I joined the single nut club last year, but not quite as stylishly as Phil has done :)

11817197_10153495110067834_3264964200822

Got any cold beer in the frig ?

• Member Contributer

Well ran up 800km on the new wheel/axle assembly over the last 2 days in both peeing rain and fine weather.

It went really well seems there are no problems that I can tell.

I'll give it a good clean tomorrow and do a full check and make sure that nothing has moved.

• Like 2