Single Nut Rear Axle Conversion - 6Th Gen

HighSideNZ

• Member Contributer
18 hours ago, BusyLittleShop said:

Poor Magnesium... the little known "metal of motion"... it deserves to be understood its fatigue strength is good...

Personally I've been running Dymags and Marchesini magnesium wheels on the street since 1982... that's 38 years of
worth of riding with no cracks noted... and I'm not known to ride in moderation either...

If you need to know if a small piece of metal is magnesium or not...
apply white vinegar directly to exposed bare metal... if it fizzes
it's safe to say magnesium... if it doesn't it can be any other metal
in the world...

GPz550 and my 3 spoke Dymags bought from Harris Performance the
day I visited the brothers shop in England...

Mr.RC45's 3 spoke Marchesini magnesium wheels... rear 6x17 Rear Rim from Freddie Spencer's
RC30...$600 and front 3.5x17 Front Rim that was owned by Wayne Rainey when he sponsored

Jimmy Felice YZ250R... $500

My hand machined magnesium triple clamps in Dow 7...

My hand machined magnesium caliper mounts...

How do you insure the full value of all those parts and pieces?  A typical insurance company is going to pay book value on what is now  a 25+ y.o. bike.  And since most of the parts are out of production there are no comparative values.  

• Member Contributer
4 minutes ago, Cogswell said:

How do you insure the full value of all those parts and pieces?  A typical insurance company is going to pay book value on what is now  a 25+ y.o. bike.  And since most of the parts are out of production there are no comparative values.  

Not sure how BLS does it but there are ways. Antique auto insurers let you specify the amount of coverage, many caveats apply of course - vehicle must meet certain age requirement, must be driven less than so many miles per year, etc, etc

Would be crushing to lose the bike and all the hard work put into it but it doesn't have to be a financial hit as well

I have progressive insurance they insure the custom parts up to $3,000 standard a long as you can back it up when you file a claim ie receipts and pictures.

• Member Contributer
3 hours ago, Cogswell said:

I don't have full value coverage for any of my hand made parts... so when I trade rides with trusted VFRD members I risk loosing a lot of sweat equity...

I've been a steady and valued customer with State Farm since 1968...
however in 98 when I applied for full coverage on my fresh out of
Tijuana Mexico RC45 they couldn't it in their Great Motorcycle
Book... No problem agent advised... "go to the dealer to have it
appraised"... OK but the manager at the Carmichael Honda just signed a
blank appraisal form and said "Larry, fill in any amount you wish" so
in full view of the agent I was about to scribe $27,500 but the agent

said wait..."lets not do it like that" and he called the main office for
guidance...

So under a verbal agreement the agent stated... "State Farm is

insuring your bike, worth a small fortune; as a normal everyday 750...

If I have make a claim... it will be up to me to convince State Farm

serial # 002 RC45 is worth more than the $8,000 I paid..."

First premium cost $217 for 6 months...

Two Wheel Ordeal
17257358129_ed08516cb1_o.jpg
16821079034_c45d15939c_o.jpg

• Member Contributer

I don't know how the value of  it could be better documented.  Still . . .  Despite being a mutual (owned by policy holders) company, S.F. like all  insurance companies are not necessarily there to take care of your loss - they're there to make money.  I just keep my receipts for add ons and extras and hope if the worst happens I can do the same - convince them of the investment.  I was hoping there might be an agreed value solution, but alas, it appears not. 

• Member Contributer

I never realised your bike was a Canadian model (RC452).  US models were RC450 (or RC451 for California models, if any).  How many did they import to Canada?

Ciao,

JZH

• Member Contributer

JZH...

Honda only imported 56 RC45s to North America in 1994... Vins #1 thru #5
were imported to Canada... Vins #6 thru #56 were imported to the US to
satisfy AMA 50 bike homologation rules. Freddie Spencer got Vin #6 the first
stateside RC45...

• 3 months later...
  • Member Contributer

Hi guys I don't even have my bike yet and I'm already looking at wheel conversions it's a sickness!! (And I've ordered The TBR COPY headers) I have asked an eBay seller the weight of the attached wheel and it's 4.5 kilos apparently.I'm not sure myself, but what Do you guys think about how it would look on the VFR 6th gen?122ed5ce123cc57d74f19e971c45da13.jpg

Sent from my ASUS_I01WD using Tapatalk

• Member Contributer
On 9/9/2020 at 2:09 AM, lplplplp said:

Hi guys I don't even have my bike yet and I'm already looking at wheel conversions it's a sickness!! (And I've ordered The TBR COPY headers) I have asked an eBay seller the weight of the attached wheel and it's 4.5 kilos apparently.I'm not sure myself, but what Do you guys think about how it would look on the VFR 6th gen?122ed5ce123cc57d74f19e971c45da13.jpg

There’s a great thread on here about fitting the Ducati hub and wheel to a VFR. Well worth reading. 

Swap looks fantastic when complete and saves a bunch of weight! 

• Member Contributer
There’s a great thread on here about fitting the Ducati hub and wheel to a VFR. Well worth reading. 

Swap looks fantastic when complete and saves a bunch of weight! 
do you recon that particular wheel would look good?

• Member Contributer
19 hours ago, vfrcapn said:

I do...working on converting my 5th gen..

20190723_211621.jpg

cool, yeah its 5.5 isn't it? and have you weighed it? is it really 4.5KG? the seller said it was.

whats the engine cover I see?

• Member Contributer

@vfrcapn......Yes, weight each, very curious.... -- I am more the reduce weight junkie vs hp guy.... 

Mbe start your own new thread on your wheel project?

😎

• Like 1

• Member Contributer

I put the tire on already, I can weight both and start a new thread. With the Aussie convert kit it's just mechanical bolt on of bits, nothing too technical. This is a 6" Duc wheel, so a 190 tire.

Contact Sebspeed here on the forum for the clear clutch cover.

• Member Contributer
I put the tire on already, I can weight both and start a new thread. With the Aussie convert kit it's just mechanical bolt on of bits, nothing too technical. This is a 6" Duc wheel, so a 190 tire.

Contact Sebspeed here on the forum for the clear clutch cover.

oh right i thought it 5.5" damn oh well, i want to stick with 180. maybe weigh with tire on and minus quoted weight of tire?

• 1 month later...
  • Member Contributer
On 9/16/2020 at 5:41 PM, vfrcapn said:

Mike... Mr.RC45's 6" Marchesini is shod with a 180/55... the difference is illustrate in the drawing...

180v190TireProfile.jpg

RC45NL5AxleModFinished.JPG

• Like 1

• 7 months later...