Single Nut Rear Axle Conversion - 6Th Gen

HighSideNZ

That looks fantastic! The wheel looks great but that that new cush drive assembly looks so exotic!

I wish I had the skills and resources to do such mods......

It looks like a lot of work, but the product is worth it!

• Like 1

• Member Contributer

Wow great post and with pdf documents to boot, you have upped the ante for posting a "how-to" thread. Nice Job!

• Member Contributer

Thanks for all the comments.

Yes the wheel 6.00x17 so I'm now running a 190/50x17 tyre.

If the weather is good over the weekend I'll get it out for a test and take some full bike shots.

• Like 1

• Member Contributer

Here is the link to Mohawks thread on the VFR400 rear axle and the cush drive.

Sorry, I should have included this in the original post.

http://www.vfrdiscussion.com/forum/index.php/topic/72914-custom-cush-drive-for-vfr800-vfr400-axle/

Cheers

Phil

• Member Contributer

Holy Crap Phil!

I love that cush drive solution. I have been trying to find a simple single-nut solution that does not add weight (like the Triumph is reported to) for my VFR.

Great post and once again your attention to detail is in documenting this upgrade is as good as your problem solving and engineering work on the upgrade.

Thanks for all the comments.

Yes the wheel 6.00x17 so I'm now running a 190/50x17 tyre.

If the weather is good over the weekend I'll get it out for a test and take some full bike shots.

when i put the 1098 6 inch wheel on, i ran a 190/55, but it felt heavy. I changed it to a 190/55 and handling felt sharp again.

And Brilliant job, by the way, absolutely awesome.

Holy Crap Phil!

I love that cush drive solution. I have been trying to find a simple single-nut solution that does not add weight (like the Triumph is reported to) for my VFR.

Great post and once again your attention to detail is in documenting this upgrade is as good as your problem solving and engineering work on the upgrade.

1098S rear wheel is forged al, and weighs nothing. But you have to change the front as well otherwise your wheels won't match.

5 gen arm, ducati hub, ducati wheel, a spacer and a shim. Is the 5th arm very different to the 6th arm?

• Member Contributer

Way to go Phil, looks great. Mine feels much softer on the chain with those new urethane bobbins than it did with the old Ducati ones.

Still not convinced on the colour of them though, but if you have a red bike then it fits, totally at odds with my Blue one though.

Hmm, must paint my rear caliper to match the front ones in a nice gold ;). Another little winter job on the list.

• Member Contributer

Hey thanks again guys.

All the qudos for the initial ideas has to go to Mohawk though.

Seems that red is the only colour you can get urethane. Even back in the '80s buying urethane bar stock, it was always red.

Yep, agree, red and blue not the best combination.

I've been toying with the idea of painting my front calipers gold as well since I did the new rear one. Gold, red and black really do go together well.

Keef

I take it you meant 190/50 is what you ended up with.

190/55 would be too high in the profile I thought.

The 190/50 is about the same rolling radius as the original 180/55 that I was running.

• Member Contributer

Holy Crap Phil!

I love that cush drive solution.

Great post and once again your attention to detail in documenting this upgrade is as good as your problem solving and engineering work on the upgrade.

What he said!!

Very nice, looking forward to seeing some shots of the whole bike.

The cush drive assembly is based on a Ducati quick change unit from JT and I've used a set of urethane bobbins instead of the genuine Ducati SilentBloc rubber ones.

In the end this has shaved 3.0kg off the unsprung weight on the rear.

vfroem, are you still here? :biggrin:

• Member Contributer

Welcome to the single nut club, looks like it's about to add more members.

This is absolutely the BEST way to join The Single Nut Club.

• Like 2

• Member Contributer

Welcome to the single nut club, looks like it's about to add more members.

If you're in the single nut club, you can still have kids . . . so plan accordingly. :wink:

• Like 1

• Member Contributer

Well went for the first ride today, just to make sure everything held together.

No problems at all, it all stayed tight and functioned as expected.

Just need to bed the rear brake in and we should be all go.

The whole driveline feels more taught with no play in anything as the urethane bobbins are a press fit into the sprocket carrier.

Seems to be smooth down to about 3k rpm, then you need to drop a gear to pull away cleanly.

I'll post a couple of full bike photos a bit later.

• Member Contributer

That's something I forgot to mention as well, the bike used to need a gear change around 2750rpm, will now work fine at 2250-2500 :)