Honor To A Racing Legend

keny

IMG_5676.jpg

While I was whit my family on holiday to Tallinn, Estonia, for a few days, I decided to visit Racing Legend Joey Dunlop`s memory stone, that is at the side of the road where he died in a crash leading the 125cc race on the Pirita-Kose-Kloostrimetsa Circuit in 2000, just a few weeks after he had done his third hat trick at the IOM TT! He had also just won the 750cc as 600cc race before that 125cc race in Estonia.

Here the threes that he did hit

IMG_5679.jpg

They are full of memory plates from diffrent motorcycle clubs

IMG_5680.jpg

IMG_5673.jpg

IMG_5674.jpg

The proof I was there

IMG_5678.jpg

And sadly by car, have not got same standard on my family trips as Dutchy yet :rolleyes:

And finally the other side of the stone, the part you see from the street

IMG_5681.jpg

And not to far from this was a smaller memory plate of a Estoninan rider that got same destiny as Joey, a few years later.

The track itself is not in use anymore, races ended in 2006 becorse the road surface was in so bad shape it was to risky and no funds for repair. As I did wisit there was a roadwork just a few 100 meters from the stone where they was building a tunnel under the road, so a lap (even by car) was not possible, but I did drive around as much as I could of it, and it was a track whit 2/3 straighter roads whit smaller turns, and 1/3 whitch was very twisty and had surprising much elevation changes. 80% of the track has trees right next to the road. So sure a challenge track! The accident happened on a straighter section, whit a slight S bend, that goes to a higher altitude during the s bend and then flattens out.

Was a honor to visit the stone, hope I had seen him racing live.....

• Member Contributer

People often forget that he was a wonderful person who made great contributions to charity. RIP Joey.

• Member Contributer

People often forget that he was a wonderful person who made great contributions to charity. RIP Joey.

IIRC he used to fill up his van with food and supplies and give it to needy people in Estonia.

RIP

:wheel:

• 11 months later...
  • Member Contributer

If all goes well, I will be visiting this site next minth. Keny might even come along :-)

Yes, I do plan to do a daytrip to Tallin Estonia whit Dutchy and look after he don´t get jammed in some wiskey bar :goofy:

I´m looking forward to actually do a lap whit a bike on that old street track, even in leagal speeds!

Updated the pics also.......

5 hours ago, keny said:

Yes, I do plan to do a daytrip to Tallin Estonia whit Dutchy and look after he don´t get jammed in some wiskey bar :goofy:

I´m looking forward to actually do a lap whit a bike on that old street track, even in leagal speeds!

Updated the pics also.......

Use this for his own safety :goofy::

607_m.jpg

• Member Contributer

I always chuckle when I hear that line.  A "fine Chianti" is a bit like a "luxury Yugo"...  Brunello, now we're talking lovely Tuscan reds...

Ciao,

• 3 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Did find this vid of a lap on the street track, hope you all enjoy.

And a map of the track:

piritako.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
  • Member Contributer

Very moving images, thanks so much for posting, I saved them all... I still get chocked up remembering our loss...

Joey's last rides quoted from his Biography...

"Joey took his 125, John Harris 600 and an RC45 lifted
from the ceiling of Joey's Bar where it had been on display,'
remembers -Sammy Graham numbly. -'The bikes were
loaded, with spares, a new primus stove, and tins of beans,
because 'when Joey got going he wouldn't stop, just make
himself something in the van."

JoeyDunlopBarRC45JPG.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
  • Member Contributer

large.IMG_9645.JPG.1ab1c82f6a959bd13727b

IMAG6380.thumb.jpg.fa5fed0d565105cee65d8d3fb0075af0.jpg

Yeah, that Colonite gives a mirror finish

P2130116.thumb.jpg.f910f47d1b9b7ab4c99f5298d7da1b1c.jpg

RIP Joey

• Member Contributer
On 1/23/2017 at 1:15 AM, keny said:

Did find this vid of a lap on the street track, hope you all enjoy.

And a map of the track:

piritako.jpg

What type of video camera are you using ?

On ‎13‎.‎2‎.‎2017 at 10:00 PM, Switchblade said:

What type of video camera are you using ?

Its not my video, its a video I did find on YouTube. Just posted as its related and quit good I think.

• Member Contributer
On 7/22/2016 at 3:18 PM, Dutchy said:

A lovely wee Yugo?

18de54f9.jpg

That is a Polski Fiat 650. it has a 2 cylinder, 4 stroke, air cooled engine with the top output of 23-ish HP and 32 lb·ft. It had a top speed of 65mph/105km top speed as long as there was not any opposing wind...

Archived