Exhaust Q-Fixing A Prior Owners...bad Tastes...removing A Can.

Magsz

Heya guys,

Im going to try and make this short and sweet. I looked at the service manual, particularly the parts diagram for the exhaust and im still a little uncertain as to what i will need if i want to switch out my exhaust.

I DO know that i need to get rid of the can on this thing as it is hideous and its not even designed for the bike. I THINK its from a GSXR or something similar but who knows. The prior owner certainly didnt but he was also too busy telling me how cool the turbo in the bike was....

Anyway, judging by the photo, will a Delkevic Slip on system work with what ive got here or do i need to replace the entire header and midpipe assembly? I have no clue if the prior owner cut the pipes anywhere so im trying to figure out how i can get an answer to that.

I also have NO mounting hardware from the stock exhaust so im wondering what i will need to get a Delkevic unit on there.

Be gentle, im a new VFR owner and a relative dumbass when it comes to all things mechanical although i am good with my hands. :)

Please let me know if any additional pictures will help!

Thanks guys!

post-33580-0-83796300-1437748457.jpg

• Member Contributer

From the pic it looks like a stock header so you might be able to just remove the can and replace it with the Delkevic. Confirm with them that it comes with a mid-pipe though, as you'll need that to connect to the header's main exit. As far as mounting hardware, shouldn't be a big deal as the OEM uses mounting locations on the rear sub frame.

Thanks gents!

Unless the Delkevic cans come with mounting screws it looks like that will be the only part ill have to source. That is, if the piping is intact...but ill find that out soon i suppose. :)

• Member Contributer
Please let me know if any additional pictures will help!

I don't know about "help", but I think a full picture of the "stunt style" exhaust can on your VFR would give us a good laugh (or cry)...

Ciao,

You really dont want to see that...

Its a Yoshi RS3 can....

Its hideous and im actually wondering if it could potentially harm the engine since its basically devoid of any kind of exhaust packing. Ive read that running a straight pipe can cause you to essentially cook your engine. (laymans terms). Any insight into this as i cannot afford to put an exhaust on it right this minute.

• Member Contributer

There are a couple ways that valves may be damaged due to having insufficient exhaust system -

1. Too rapid temperature change from cool fresh air on exhaust valves without any exhaust headers - not even remotely applicable here

2. Lean mixture from increasing airflow without compensating increase in fueling causes increased combustion temperature - not the case here either, your cat converter is still there

I wouldn't worry about causing engine damage in this case. From your pictures, the stock headers/catalyst are still in place. This is going to be the bottleneck in your exhaust flow, so you won't see much/any increase in airflow through the engine. Thus, no need to worry about lean condition. Not to mention you have the airbox and filter bottleneck at the other end.

The only thing I would worry about is getting a ticket for too loud exhaust as well as any other police attention that comes with that.

Archived