Indy Moto Gp Ride/ Gathering?

deltaboxii

• Member Contributer

Hey gang,

Any interest in getting the VFRD members together that are planning to be in Indianapolis for the Moto GP next month? There are also some decent rounds about an hour south of town.

I will be working at the GP on Friday- Sunday but there are quite a few festivities that lead up to the weekend, including Bikes on Main street.

Hopefully this would be a good chance to meet some other VFRD members

• Member Contributer

Awesome response

Guess it will be another year of hanging with the Ducati owners group again

I will be there all 3 days. I wore one of my VFRD T-Mac shirts last year and ran into someone while walking around. He recognized the shirt. I've never had much luck with trying to meet up with people there for some reason though.

On the way home 2 years ago, my GF and I rode through Brown County (I used to live in Franklin, IN and rode those roads several times a month). Definitely good roads for up there. Not North Carolina or Tennessee roads, but good for Indiana.

• Member Contributer

It would be great to meet you since we have talked so much on here. Sold a few parts to one another as well!

we should figure out a place to link up while you are here in town. I would be game for a VFRD ride down to Brown County if there was enough interest.

• Member Contributer

Meeting at the track isn't that hard. Duccmann and I met up with a couple of VFRD members, DedofNite and BrianF and happen to run into a couple others my happenstance!

We ran into BLS and Mr. RC45 in the vendor area and again at the Cork Screw.

post-23057-0-02024700-1437753278.jpg

Also in the vendor area, we ran into fellow member OutlawsJustice working the CMSP booth.

post-23057-0-43732700-1437753194.jpg

...we also ran into the man himself, Lee Parks.

post-23057-0-33561900-1437753188.jpg

Oh Yeah and these two legends!

post-23057-0-68153300-1437753696.jpg

post-23057-0-78630300-1437753702.jpg

Didn't mean to thread jack, just figured I'd point out that meeting people at the track shouldn't be difficult. I wish I could attend the Indianapolis MotoGP and meet you both! Maybe in the future. Have a good time fellas!

• Member Contributer

Awesome pics! I am looking forward to the garage tour and autograph session. hope to see alot of VFRs there as well.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Member Contributer

Great to finally meet some of the VFRD members that I talk to so much on here at the Indy Moto GP. It was also nice to see quite a few VFRs running around, from 5th /6th and 7th gens mainly.

I even ran into the VFR suspension guru himself Jamie Daugherty and his family all rocking their DMR shirts :beer: what an awesome weekend!

maybe next year (if there is hopefully a next year for Indy as the rumors always go every year) we could get a group ride going down to the twisties of Brown County.

I made it there late like at 2:10pm they let me park and enter for free. I'm now in Chicago now if anyone is local here and wants to ride and show me Illinois roads please let me know send me a text 2024377462 here on my 1998 5th gen.

Art

maybe next year (if there is hopefully a next year for Indy as the rumors always go every year)

I read in the paper this morning that the rumour is that Indy will be taken off the calandar for lack of spectators?

Personally, I hope the rumour is true and they will return to Laguna Seca.

I was there this weekend as well. Even talked to Jamie D too! I didn't see as many VFR's as I had hoped. And the ones that I did see were poorly maintained, ratty, and being ridden by squids. I did talk to one 7th gen owner and he seemed to be more like minded about gear and knowing his bike. But he was not a member of the forum.

• Member Contributer

My luck, planned on going this year but work interfered .

Ermmm...no.

Indy may be leaving the schedule, but it's not due to a lack of spectators...

• Member Contributer

It's all about the $$$. Indy doesn't want to be Dorna's ATM, they seem to be asking Indy to pay more than Indy feels is fair.

Rumor has it that WSBK will be moving to Indy from Laguna, which makes sense. Laguna is an awesome track but the facilities are lacking and the cost to get there is very high. Gorgeous track with a ton of history though.

• Member Contributer

I have to agree about Laguna Seca, great venue but it does need some improvements. One place I could see getting an improvement is the Cork Screw area. For how crowded this section gets, you would think that they would build in some bleachers and possibly add in monitors for catching the action elsewhere on the track. Although I did enjoy watching the race there, you do miss so much being up there as all you really get every other minute or so, is the action on that small section of track and the announcers calling out the action.

One thing I've heard about, but have not encountered due to my lack of attendance to a MotoGP event at Laguna Seca, the hotel cost seem to rise exponentially! Being held near the peak of summer doesn't help the cost either! Personally I felt that the ~$200/night cost for a room during the WSBK in July was on par for a prime California vacation destination. :warranty: Of course splitting the room did soften the blow a bit!

• Member Contributer

One thing I've heard about, but have not encountered due to my lack of attendance to a MotoGP event at Laguna Seca, the hotel cost seem to rise exponentially! Being held near the peak of summer doesn't help the cost either! Personally I felt that the ~$200/night cost for a room during the WSBK in July was on par for a prime California vacation destination. :warranty: Of course splitting the room did soften the blow a bit!

That is one of the things I appreciate about Indy. The town is set up to accomodate 250+K fans for the Indy 500, so there is no shortage of rooms, and therefore, no price gouging for the 65K Moto GP fans. I paid $85 a night for my room last weekend. Getting in and out of the track on race day is a piece of cake.

• Member Contributer

Ermmm...no.

Indy may be leaving the schedule, but it's not due to a lack of spectators...

I have to honestly say I'm surprised by those stats... watching on TV the track seemed like a ghost town compared to other MotoGP venues

Archived