Check Your Lights!

JeffInFranklinTN

• Member Contributer

I can't tell you how many motorcycles I've seen this year without working headlights or headlights that are so far out of adjustment that they might as well have a candle inside the headlight cluster. I'm talking about daytime riding. This is a big deal. You must keep in mind when you're out riding, that there are very many people who don't ride motorcycles, aren't watching for motorcycles. Because they don't ride, it's not "sub-consciously" implanted in their brains to look for motorcycles like we are. Here's an example...it's happened to me. A few years ago I was leaving work in my lil pickup truck and in a bit of a hurry. It's a fairly busy two lane state highway and was a bright sunny day. This highway has everything from cars, pickup trucks, semi trucks, dump trucks and BICYCLIST. I was making a right hand turn onto the highway. Looked to the left and saw a bicycle coming at me. Looking to the right starting to pull out, I instantly hit the brakes and looked back to the left. Oh my God that is not a man on a bicycle. That is a man on a Harley cruiser. Had I not been "motorcycle aware" and pulled out, he would have either rear ended me or laid it down to keep from rear ending me. Gives me an awful feeling inside. His headlight was working but the "beam" of the headlight is so dim that you can't see it during the daytime.

So since then, I make it a point to check all of my lights before I leave the driveway. I also have my headlights adjusted(both of them) so that I can see as best as I can at night(low beams) but especially during the daytime. It's a compromise having maximum visibility at night but more so having maximum visibility to other motorists during the daytime. When you replace a headlight bulb check the beam. You may have to re-adjust it.

Just yesterday I saw three motorcycles, at different times, without working headlights/taillights.

CHECK YOUR STUFF!!

• Member Contributer

Great advice Jeff. Earlier this year I installed LED headlights on my fifth gen and I believe it has made a difference. They seem to be considerably more obvious during the day and HUGELY more noticeable in the dusk, twilight and night. Before them I'd occasionally get a hint that I was seen late as I approach whether from the rear, front or side. Since installing them it rarely happens. I cannot remember a single no-see event in the last 2000 mi.

I'd highly recommend them.

Due to your suggestion, I'm going to check their alignment.

Thanks for your suggestions.

• Member Contributer

Thanks MaxSwell. Some folks may say I'm being anal but this is an important safety issue to me. I hope that whoever reads this thread will start noticing which motorcycles have a well visible headlight beam during the daytime and which ones don't. A well visible headlight BEAM can save your ass.

One of the bikes I saw yesterday prompted me to post this. My honey and I were traveling east on TN 52 just west of Portland, Tn. in her Tahoe. Approaching us headed west were two sport bikes. Now I could see both bikes of course but I said to her "That guy on the second bike's headlight is not working.(this bike has dual headlights) but when we were within 50 to 40 feet from him, one headlight was lit. Poorly adjusted headlight. I'd say the beam was aimed straight down if front of the bike. Remember...there are motorists out there who are not looking for motorcycles but they will most probably see the beam from your headlight(s) before they actually see you.

• Member Contributer

I was riding with a buddy to go to a dealer demo out of town. We're approaching this sharp left hand turn, he's in front, no brake lights so I figure slow down a bit and all good. Holy shit! The corner was much tighter than I thought but made it. When we stopped for coffee I asked him about that. He said that he used his brakes but that he had also recently upgraded them. We checked and sure enough, it was wired wrong so that he didn't have brake lights.

And then the other day a friend was following me in my car. He said that I didn't have brakes lights. The fuse was blown. Replaced it and it blew again right away. Turned out there was a short in the high mount brake light. I have no idea how long it had been out.

Moral, check your brake lights too before you get smoked from behind.

• Member Contributer

I was riding with a buddy to go to a dealer demo out of town. We're approaching this sharp left hand turn, he's in front, no brake lights so I figure slow down a bit and all good. Holy shit! The corner was much tighter than I thought but made it. When we stopped for coffee I asked him about that. He said that he used his brakes but that he had also recently upgraded them. We checked and sure enough, it was wired wrong so that he didn't have brake lights.

And then the other day a friend was following me in my car. He said that I didn't have brakes lights. The fuse was blown. Replaced it and it blew again right away. Turned out there was a short in the high mount brake light. I have no idea how long it had been out.

Moral, check your brake lights too before you get smoked from behind.

It's easy to do in any strip mall or building with windows where you can see your reflection. Ride toward it then turn away and check the brake lights using the mirror.

Archived