Longest Trip Ever

Aimbot9000

Starting the 12th i have 10 days off my thought was pikes peak, and white sands, with stops in San Antonio and Dallas to visit friends then back to NC. Is 4000mi doable in that time? I'm thinking i may have to cut out pikes peak and make it its own trip. Any tips/info on the area welcome like Parks worth hiking for the views or other interesting stuff?

• Member Contributer

I did 4,000 miles in 11 days in 2012, which included a rest day. And, Pikes Peak was part of my trip! You should be able to make that with no problem. On P.P., there are LEO's present and the speed limits are not particularly high, so be aware. I think it was a $12 toll for motorcycles.

• Member Contributer

Do-able yes, but if you ask me, I would look for less miles per day or more days.

Unless you superslab it 99% of the time in between visiting your friends (you want to spend time with them yes? Or just ride past and shout HELLLLOOOO and GOOOODBYE from inside your helmet?)

On the days you will be racking up the miles, you are probably looking at 9+ hours @75MPH per day. Your rest of the day will be pull over for a leak and gas and jump on again.

I imagine TX to be very hot and dry this time of year.

The only plus side I can think of is that I always hear there is "nothing" in TX, so putting the throttle lock at 75MPH and ride mindlessly is possible a good thing. :goofy:

I have yet to visit TX....

There are motor vehicles better equipped for such boring rides ,

it comes with AC, a 5.1litre engine, 4 wheels and is called "Avalanche" :cool:

So yes that distance can be covered.

(I did a 1,000miles a day on a Moto Guzzi Lemans once -half of it in pouring rain)

but it would be a "tour de force" if you get slowed down for say by 1 day due to bad weather...

YMMV (and it will!)

• Member Contributer

Yes, doable, a few days will be less fun than others, I did Atlanta to Topeka in a day, got up the next day and made it to Denver, and it almost seemed like a short day. Just plan to have an all day (part of the night Slab) and take your time and enjoy the good days. I found 350 miles a day on a fun day is a good estimate, get up early, do 200 miles before lunch. Do a 150 after lunch, get off the road early in the afternoon and enjoy a hot meal, shower, beer and advil....

I did a 7000+ mile trip in 13 days in 2006. It is doable, but if I had to do it again, I would try to take twice as much time for the same miles. I had 1 rest day in there as well. Upstate NY to Tucson, AZ via the BRP and the Dragon, Nashvegas, etc. North to Colorado Springs via the Devil's Backbone, Grand Canyon, and Million Dollar Highway. Lots of slab involved, but I saw a lot of the country for the first time. Great trip, and I couldn't have picked a better time in my life to do it. I'll probably never do it again, so if I hadn't done it then...

Yes, some of it was less than enjoyable, but every day was an adventure and I look back on it very fondly.

• Member Contributer

Think it would only be enjoyable if you superslab it between points and rack up 800 mile days. Then you might have more time to enjoy your destinations.

Yes, that's easily done. Make sure you have time to see a few things and get off the bike. After a few days, 400 miles seems longer and doesn't really give a lot of time for anything other than riding - it takes it's toll physically.

Last year I rode just over 5,000 miles in 14 days and have done many trips over the last ten years of 3,000-6,500 miles in less than 20 days.

Have fun!

I'm with the majority, I did 4,800 km around lake superior in 6 days, and the first 2 days were just endless highway riding so my buddy and I could meet up, and then we did between 200 and 400 miles a day, taking our time, enjoying the ride.

If you set yourself up for a long trip of boring roads, you won't enjoy it, IMO.

• Member Contributer

A method that has served well over the years.

320 - 360 miles / day: allows for lunch, hydration during fuel stops and arrival at the nights bed around 3-4PM.

Every 4th day off: meaning off the bike totally. Makes for great revitalizing and typically, plan the day off somewhere to do / see something, pool lounging, visiting, etc.

4th day also allows for laundry, basic maintenance, bike cleaning, etc

Some days there may be trade offs for longer runs to make a destination / day off, or shorter distances to take in some epic curvy roads.

As others have mentioned, to each - his own. Having a great time and enjoying sites is always better than simply ripping through an area & missing experiences.

.02¢

Got home early this morning after a 1037mile 17h sprint home, too bad it was not an IBA event. Kansas was crazy, I was not expecting a high of 110F for hours...

In Colorado I learned that my tent has nicer accommodation then a econolodge lol. Kelly had trouble keeping her cool a mile up in mixed traffic so off to crap-mart to fondle her bits and make a fan interrupt switch. Hiked around Garden of the gods then off to pikes peak, it was high 70s and dry at the garden had to stop to bundle up at the north pole for the trip up. It was a blast despite the driving rain below the tree line and the bit of sleet and snow mixed in by the summit. hung out at the tourist trap trying to not pass out while looking cool for the cute girls ( im not fit enough for 14100 feet) I was up there for a bit and the weather cleared for the trip down and wandered around for a while and ended up in Raton, New Mexico.

With rain starting yet again I called it a nigh at the Holiday Inn express (fanciest place ive stayed in the US) i didnt want to get out of the hot tub to start the day lol. New Mexico is such a beautiful place {i'll add more later with an edit}

Archived